Decent Memory

Ashley_E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
K5000/P9000
Hi guys,

When I bought my cheapy k5000 I was misled by the sellers footage capturing capabilities. I worked out I should get around 6 hours from a 16gb card on 720p. unfortunately it only does 2. this is a real bug bear as the cam doesn't have a priority save function so if I do a 3 hour drive and I capture an incident in the first half an hour, I will lose it come the end of the trip.

what cam can hold the most memory with decent footage and half decent night recording? anyone got any suggestions?

cheers

ash

oh, and although the box says it can take a 32gb card, advice on here says I should not use more than a 16gb card or it will crash the device.

Ashley_E said:
oh, and although the box says it can take a 32gb card, advice on here says I should not use more than a 16gb card or it will crash the device.

Which all goes to prove you get what you pay for and sometimes not even that

also, does anyone know of any camera's, where in the event of an incident that you want to keep, you can press a button and the camera automatically saves 30 seconds before and after and won't overwrite it? I know I saw this in a description of a camera but can't remember which one... is it the vicovation? or do many different cameras do this?

seems you got Fake Cam plagued of bugs :mrgreen:

the "thing" you talking is Emergency Stop Record / SOS file locking function / Emergency Button .
many good cameras has the function. not just vicos.

Ashley_E said:
also, does anyone know of any camera's, where in the event of an incident that you want to keep, you can press a button and the camera automatically saves 30 seconds before and after and won't overwrite it? I know I saw this in a description of a camera but can't remember which one... is it the vicovation? or do many different cameras do this?

Blackvues do that automatically so do most other decent cameras that also have gps logging so you can prove where the incident happened.

Not much good having a photo of an unidentifiable location

speaking of GPS function
at Brazil Laws GPS Location won´t help much in prove your location.
and problemn video are they argue it has edited material.
but better than nothing , eh.

stupid old laws :|

GeorgesNJR said:
seems you got Fake Cam plagued of bugs :mrgreen:

the "thing" you talking is Emergency Stop Record / SOS file locking function / Emergency Button .
many good cameras has the function. not just vicos.

really? does 16gb sound like a lot of memory for just 2 hours of video?

Hillbilly said:
Ashley_E said:

Blackvues do that automatically so do most other decent cameras that also have gps logging so you can prove where the incident happened.

ah, but I would like the option to save a file where I see some particularly bad driving. i.e. like when last night a guy nearly hit me. luckily I caught it on camera but if I was on a long drive it would have been erased. not just when someone hits me etc...

Ashley_E said:
ah, but I would like the option to save a file where I see some particularly bad driving. i.e. like when last night a guy nearly hit me. luckily I caught it on camera but if I was on a long drive it would have been erased. not just when someone hits me etc...

most (all?) decent cams will auto save an incident based on the G-Sensor triggering an event and can also manually save an event by pressing a button, how much time they save varies by device but it's a fairly standard feature

Ashley_E said:
Hillbilly said:
Ashley_E said:

Well on my blackvue I have 32gig and it covers several weeks but I dont go out a lot If you have a problem, when you get home drop it onto your HDD

My bit rate is 512kbs which says I should get over 7 hours on my 16gb card but im getting 01:55 hours in total... :shock:

My bit rate is 512kbs which says I should get over 7 hours on my 16gb card but im getting 01:55 hours in total... :shock:

Ashley_E said:
Sounds like you have a fake card that isnt that capacity at all

Lots of them around

my card is a genuine SanDisk 16gb micro SD HC card, bought from Tesco. shows on the computer as 14.8 GB capacity (after software etc)...

I have emailed the seller, he responded to me with some questions but no answer yet? anyone else have the same problems?

no :eek:

first time i see it.

I save files in 5 minute intervals, but each clip size is about 652mb in size.

I was an idiot before, was looking at the audio kbs (512).

total bitrate is 663552kbs per second, but the sellers description said that 1280 x 720 (@30fps) would get 180 minutes out of an 8gb card. I worked out that with my 16gb card I would get 5.55 hours from the 14.8gb available after the software.

still waiting for seller to get back to me... :-s

Ashley_E

i sugest you check if its fake or not

have a free software that does this checkup

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/ ... it-drives/

format the microsd

put the microSD on Reader and do the checkup

i aways like go samsung,patriot,mushkin they see have less Counterfeit than sandisk and aways big sellers , stores ,
sandisk is like a hot pot for Counterfeit drivers , sadly

Last edited by a moderator:
Back