Decided on SG9663DCPRO+

Scriptripper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. New guy here. After 6 months of research and online investigation, I have decided my first Dash Cam will be the SG9663DCPRO+. The reasons for this is as follows:
1) Length of warranty. 2 years.
2) Online reviews of customer service. Top notch.
3) “Extras“ shipped with new unit.
I plan on purchasing the SG9663DCPRO+ 256GB along with extra SD Card and the hard wire kit. I plan on using an IPad Pro (IOS 14.6), for the WiFi. What I could not find is, can files be saved to the IPad or can files only be saved to a computer? Also, how large is the firmware update file? I only have sketchy internet at best from satellite. (I live in BFE. WAY out in the country.)
Also, are there any discount codes or promos if I buy direct? I know I could buy from Amazon but after a couple of bad purchases and reading how some Amazon stores are paying for good reviews, I would rather buy direct. Thank you for your time and I will monitor for questions and/or responses.

Hello yes you can say video files to your iPad or other device via the Street Guardian app. I just sent you a private message for a discount code check your DashCam talk inbox

Welcome to DCT @Scriptripper :)

A good choice of dashcam (y) SG does some of the most thorough developing and testing of FW, updates are almost never critical ones or bug fixes because of that :cool: So if your internet connection can't handle them you can wait till the next trip to 'the big city' and snag it via someone's free wifi there, installing at your leisure with no loss in the process. One of our members here is a top-rated storm-chaser who uses SG cams so if you happen to capture a vid of a tornado, you'll be in good company ;)

Phil

Thanks for the discount SG. I have ordered it. As for the dash cam, we are traveling from Ok to Nv this summer. Not our first time. But after the last time, and almost getting hit hit by a wrong way driver on I-40, I figured better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I will probably install next weekend in my 16 Silverado. May take pics with my IPad and post. Depends on how frustrated I get. One again, thank you all.

I plan on using an IPad Pro (IOS 14.6), for the WiFi. What I could not find is, can files be saved to the IPad or can files only be saved to a computer? Also, how large is the firmware update file?
Welcome Scriptripper,

I've been very happy with my Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO dual-cam. Both front and rear run at 1080p and provide nice clear video, especially with the included CPL polarized filter on the front cam. The rear cam doesn't come with a polarized filter but I found I didn't need it on my 2016 CR-V. When you get ready to wire the hardwire kit (HWK) look through the posts here to find tips on which fuses to use for your vehicle. If you have trouble figuring out which fuses to use, post here and @Street Guardian USA can help. Because the SG cameras use capacitors instead of on-board batteries they handle the extreme in-car temps I get in the summertime, similar to what you see in Oklahoma.

In answer to your question, the latest firmware package for my SG9663DCPRO (SG9663DCPROfirmwareV1.17.zip) ran 4.3 MB.
USA Downloads page: https://support.streetguardian.info/downloads
USA Firmware Downloads page: https://support.streetguardian.info/firmware-downloads

On my iPhone 12 the SG app 'Street Guardian' connects nicely to my cam via Wi-Fi. To use it, on your iOS device go to Settings > Wi-Fi, be sure the cam is turned on and recording (the car has to be turned on or running to provide power to the cam), tap the power button to stop recording and put it into Wi-Fi mode, choose the network with the name shown on the camera's display. Once connected, launch the app, tap 'Connect Camera', tap the 'checkerboard' at lower left to show thumbnails of your recordings, tap the checkmark icon, tap the thumbnail of the recording you want, tap the 'download arrow', choose whether you want to 'Save to photo albums' or 'Save to app', wait about 60 seconds for a 70 MB file to download (it's not very fast). My cam is set for 3 minute recordings and those files are about 483 MB, so I'd much rather pull the card and put it into my computer. On the SD card the MP4 movie files are in a folder called DCIM > Movie.

Based on a suggestion in one of these forums I took a small piece of tape, folded it in half and pressed the sticky tabs to either side of my SD card on the edge that doesn't have electrical contacts to form a small handle. This makes it much easier to hold on to when removing and installing the SD card in the cam.

FYI, I wrote up my SG9663DCPRO installation into my 2016 Honda CR-V here.

Last edited:
Back