Deciding on a purchase (AUS)

Veers

Reaction score
Hi DCT Community,

I'm looking at purchasing 2 cameras for my car (1 front facing, 1 rear facing). And I need some help (ok, I need serious help) :).

To give you a quick rundown:
Price: Not an object. I don't want to fork out a tonne of money if I don't need to though
Size: Smaller the better
Colour: Black. Not that colour is overly important though
HD Capacity: Yes please. It also needs to perform very well during the night. Ideally still able to catch numberplates at close range.
Temperate range: I'd prefer something that can withstand higher temperatures. As I am in Australia, summer temperatures can easily chip into the 40 degree celsius mark.
Time frame for purchase: As soon as possible. Ideally I'd want to have the cameras operational right now. Not practical though. :lol:

EDIT: Powersource: Would have to be wired into the car. Unless the batteries can pull around 4 hours runtime without recharging (4 hours is based on driving to work and back + a little extra)

Number of: as I mentioned. I would like a camera front and back. I was originally thinking a dual channel set, but by the looks of things... they don't perform quality wise.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Orignally I checked out a few cameras from here and there. And eventually settled on the Itronics ITB-500HD. But have kinda gone back on this due to the quality of the rear camera which... could be questionable. Have also been recommended the GoPro cameras, my only problem with them is that they are more of a sports cam, rather than a security/driving camera.

I hope that the community experience will be able to help me, as I am currently being confused with trying to read the Korean and Taiwanese sites.

Thanks guys, hopefully I can post back with a few more cameras that I think are suitable and draw upon your expereinces and knowledge.

Veers - Australia

did you see the Garmin GDR35?
but I'm not sure where it's available

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU4i34EUuWM[/youtube]

Take a look at the Finevu CR500HD I just bought one to replace my older dashcam and the video quality is great I am very happy with it.

Ha!, I never saw your post jimjones. Odd that I didnt see it in my searches. But yea, looks like I've pretty much just twisted your words into my own flavour. Sorry about that.

On the plus side, I can check out your recommendations. Have you been able to find the ITB-100HD's you were looking for?

Thanks nvsbl and Roberthodgson, having a look at those cameras now.

We just had the same needs and I think most people want those things in a dash cam.

I am in negotiations to buy 2x ITB-100HD’s and a power magic pro. There are still a good few places to buy the ITB-100HD for a little over $200. Looking at the reviews on the site there are some better quality cameras if you are willing to pay more money, but I chose the ITB-100HD because of its reliability.

So I've been bumming around a few sites searching when Ive had the time. Overall I would say my choice would be the FineVu CR-500. Price is a little bit of a pain though, especially for two cameras, so might instead look at purchasing it or a combination of models (say a CR-500 and a CR-300 for example) instead of just two CR-500s

But FineVu seems to make a good quality camera, and it is also rather small. Very nice overall.

I am very happy with the ITB-100HD's I bought and would recommend the camera. I have never used the FineVu's and they may give a better picutre, although not by much, but the price is just too high. Consider getting 2 ITB-100HD's for around $400, you will find them if you look.

Back