Deciding on SD Size and Brand Option

fredskis

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm looking at buying a new SG9663DR but unsure of what size SD card.
I have two questions regarding this.
1. Roughly, how many hours of footage will the 128GB card provide with 2x 1080p30 streams? Or, how many hours for the 256GB size?
2. Are there any real world differences between the SanDisk High Endurance and Western Digital Surveillance options other than price?

Western Digital own SanDisk, some people are anti SanDisk so we offer the WD cards as an alternative, they do cost us more though

1. Roughly, how many hours of footage will the 128GB card provide with 2x 1080p30 streams? Or, how many hours for the 256GB size?
a bit over 6 hours for 128GB, over 12 hours for 256GB at the high quality setting, longer if you use one of the lower settings

I dont remember about 128 or 256GB cards recording capacity, but I'm using 512GB on my 2ch Street Guardian and it can fit 25-34 hour of normal driving recording to 512Gb card depending on the quality of the image selected before it starts overwriting old files.

Western Digital own SanDisk, some people are anti SanDisk so we offer the WD cards as an alternative, they do cost us more though
once burnt, twice burnt, never again normally. sandisk in my mind from many years ago have a bad name for dashcams but they have improved i think but yet to prove it to me. im trying them again to see if they have or not.

once burnt, twice burnt, never again normally. sandisk in my mind from many years ago have a bad name for dashcams but they have improved i think but yet to prove it to me. im trying them again to see if they have or not.
we've been using SanDisk cards for almost 2 years now, they've been the lowest failure rate cards of any brand we have used so far

I was leery of SanDisk too, but wanted a second card brand to test with and reports were (and still are) good so I chanced it on the A2 'Extreme'. One cam doesn't like it, 4 others do. Wanting even more brands for the same reason it will be my last SanDisk for awhile unless something else changes.

Phil

I was leery of SanDisk too, but wanted a second card brand to test with and reports were (and still are) good so I chanced it on the A2 'Extreme'. One cam doesn't like it, 4 others do. Wanting even more brands for the same reason it will be my last SanDisk for awhile unless something else changes.

Phil
for anything 32GB to 256GB we use the High Endurance cards, that's as large as they go, only larger sizes we use the A2 Extreme cards, for 512GB we only use the Western Digital Purple cards

I think the endurance models have some secret sauce VS the other lines of sandisk cards.

I think the endurance models have some secret sauce VS the other lines of sandisk cards.
it's not that the other models of SanDisk cards are bad, they're just not intended for what we use them for, eg, the Ultra cards are aimed at the mobile phone market, if they encounter an error that is deemed bad enough the controller will go to read only mode to protect the data that's on the cards (typically important photos and video) which is a desirable feature for that purpose, as a dashcam card not so much

Never been any important picture or video on any phone of mine, at best embarrassing ones,,,, which i would not mind loosing.
But i understand that notion seen from the general perspective, there is no doubt my relations with my phone are as far as it can be for over 98 % of the worlds phone users.

BTW my phone got a update yesterday, maybe i will try my luck with the DR wifi later today ( just about 5 in the morning here )

i don think i have had an issue with endurance cards as yet

for anything 32GB to 256GB we use the High Endurance cards, that's as large as they go, only larger sizes we use the A2 Extreme cards, for 512GB we only use the Western Digital Purple cards
If true, then that is good to know.
For some reason I thought for 512GB you use Samsung Evo Select. Maybe this is only a Street Guardian USA thing?

If true, then that is good to know.
For some reason I thought for 512GB you use Samsung Evo Select. Maybe this is only a Street Guardian USA thing?
Was referring to Australia, we can't buy the Samsung cards wholesale here so they're not even an option for us

I don't even see 512GB WD Purple for sale at a reputable store here in USA...besides from Western Digital themselves.
$99 for this card is a better deal than the 512GB Samsung Evo Select that normally retails for $70.

I already bought a Sandisk 256MB High Endurance card in preparation for my future dashcam purchase. I will probably purchase it directly from them in the future if I discover that I need a 512GB card.

Both nice cards, i have been beating the snot out of both for a year in a attempt to destroy them, so far i am loosing. :)
And it is the older not QD101 branded purple card i have.

Opposite to that i got a Adata endurance card some weeks ago, it did not work right out the packing as it had terrible slow speeds, but a once over with SDformatter did fix that and since then i have hit that card hard with 4K/60 footage at 100 mbit in my action camera.
Downside was finding out there was a speed problem, and then the time it take SDformatter to go over a 256 GB card.'

No matter what memory card you have, if something are not behaving, the first thing to do figuring out where the error is would be to examine / benchmark / test the memory card, or just toss in a new one if you have one handy.
When i found out my Adata was not working ( in the SG9663DR ) i did not for a second think my camera have died, but i have not tried the card in that camera after i restored it to the correct read / write speeds, but probably will some time later in the summer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the details everyone, was somewhat expecting an email notification of responses and never got one so only just realised there were responses on checking this thread manually

Hah, yeah brand loyalty and being burnt by certain brands, however anecdotally, can certainly steer consumers to/away from certain brands. Assuming they're similarly specced, I'm not overly fussed.

a bit over 6 hours for 128GB, over 12 hours for 256GB at the high quality setting, longer if you use one of the lower settings

I dont remember about 128 or 256GB cards recording capacity, but I'm using 512GB on my 2ch Street Guardian and it can fit 25-34 hour of normal driving recording to 512Gb card depending on the quality of the image selected before it starts overwriting old files.

Great, these numbers seem to match up so sounds accurate to me!

Very happy with my previous Street Guardian dashcams so definitely going to pick up another for the new car!

$99 for this card is a better deal than the 512GB Samsung Evo Select that normally retails for $70.
Why, out of curiosity? It's $30 more for a slower U1 card vs U3 for less. What's the upside?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J SG9663DR 11
Back