Deciding to either install a multi or dual channel system

Hermes14

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Dash Cam
Viofo A1119s
Hi guys

Here in Johannesburg, two of our main problems are Hi-jackings and smash & grabs.
To give you an idea of what I am talking about I haves added some youtube video of incident that have happened in JHB & surrounding areas.

Some people might find this footage a bit graphic.

Smash & Grab

Hi-jacking

My first objective is to try & avoid such a situation but sometimes as you can see it is almost impossible to avoid.
In the event that you are unable to implement proactive measures to prevent such a situation I want to at least capture the incident on camera with as much detail of the suspects as possible.
One thing that we do know is when the criminals steal a car the thirst thing they do is either drive to the bottom a basement parking or park the car under power lines, look for a tracking system & if there is one remove it.
The first question I want to ask is have any of you installed external cameras & if you have, what are they like?

What I have been thinking of installing is either a 4 or 2 channel dvr,
I have seen some nice cctv covert cameras which you can hide nicely in a vehicle but they do give a blurry picture when in motion.
Can you add gsensors to a camera or can you get covert vehicle cameras?

Welcome to the forum.

We sort of have the same up here in Denmark, no doubt parking a car with something of value in sight is a bad idea, signs at parking lots even warn about this.

But we also now see more smash and grabs or open door and grab from cars, most often women loosing their purse on the seat next to them.
But having a laptop or something else on the seat is also a bad idea.
Another thing also on the rise is grabs from the handlebar mounted basket many girls have on their bicycle.

When we see some results from police in cases like that, the ones to blame are often the people coming to Denmark to "enrich" our society with their presence here.
You will see loads of eastern Europe people coming here to do crime of all sorts, and then we have the poor refugees from conflicts all over the world that find their way here, those are also figuring in the statistics though a life of crime is mostly a personal choice if you live in the Danish welfare system.

We have ghettos here where you cant really go if you are not one of "them" fire departments have to respond to those places with police protection.

I wish i was able to be part of changing things here, but what i needed is too much for spineless Danes to handle, so things will get worse until people take the law in their own hands, and even then things will not change like they need to, so one evil become two evils.

Thanks Guys

In South Africa everyone knows you don't leave any valuables lying around in a car.
With the smash & grab the take a spark plug & throw it against the window.
I have heard that if you know how to throw a spark plug correctly you can break a window without setting off an alarm.
Another problem we have is remote jamming.
The perpetrator presses another remote the same time you press yours, your alarm beeps as it is supposed to but your car doesn't lock & your alarm doesn't activate.
Since 1994 there has been an increase in illegal immigrants comming to South Africa but that is a minor problem. (in my first video the perpetrator is most probably a petty criminal)
I am not really worried about the petty criminal, I am more worried about the organized crime syndicates .
The second & third video are most planned by an organized crime syndicate.
The smash & grabs commited like the one in the second video are usually planned & during peak traffic hours
A vehicle is waiting underneath the bridge, the perpetrator goes to the top of the bridge, looks for a vehicle with valuables in it, smashes the window & grabs what he can, then runs down the embankment where the other vehicle is waiting for him.
If you don't catch him in the act he is gone.

Another problem we have is cash in transit heists, they seem to increase close to holiday seasons, e.g. Christmas & Easter.
The robbers usually have military weapons like R1, R4 or AK47s.
There are rumors that in some cases they higher mercenaries to perform these robberies.
These are usually planed & the main brain behind these heist are usually the most difficult to catch as the are normally no where near the crime scene.
Now they seem to have started just blowing the vehicle up.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/R24Heis...uring-cash-in-transit-heist-on-highway-video/

If you don't know what to look for, the only time you will know you are in the middle of a cash heist is when it is imminent.
In this case you would not want a visible dash cam as the robbers will just steal your car, if you try to stop them they will shoot you first then take your car.

This is what the van looked lie after it was blown up.
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/cash-in-transit-van-blown-up-in-east-rand-heist-20170401

I have worked in cash in transit & also as an armed reaction officer, so there is a good chance I will see something like this happening before it happens, but there are people who will need their footage to record at a remote destination with the activation of a button e.e. via wifi.
What I am looking for is a dvr that I can hide & a lens that I can hide, screen would be nice but not important.
Heat won't be a problem, you can either make a cooling pad, e.g. convert a laptop cooling pad to 12v, or add a small pipe from your aircon to your dvr.

Back