Deer Strike Video

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Low Resolution on Purpose. I'm anal retentive about posting personal information online.

Anyway Captured this on my Viofo A129 Duo. Cropped video and focused it only on this particular section, which I guess accounts for downsampling.

You can clearly see the guy hitting deer...

https://streamable.com/jjuraa

Already lying on the road?

One of those situations when you are glad you left plenty of room between you and the person in front, or not as the case may be!

Already lying on the road?

One of those situations when you are glad you left plenty of room between you and the person in front, or not as the case may be!

I can't figure that one out too. I've watched video over and over. I don't know if it was already dead and the guy ran over it or if it I simply didn't capture it running in front of his car. As the right hand footage (high quality is still dark). So no telling if it ran in front of another car, got hit, and he was the second one to hit it (run over). Or if he was the first to hit it and it just happened to slide under his car.

I would think if it was dead and on road, you'd see cars swerving to avoid it.

The guy who hit it was around 80, so anything is possible (didn't see carcass).

All I know is I saw the carcass come flying at my car, and ended up with bits of deer hair and deer pieces on my hood. Good thing for following distance!

If it had run across the road then we would have seen it block some lights or reflections of lights.
If it had been on its feet then it would have attempted to go through his engine, not under the wheels. Also, he would probably have put his brakes on at some point!

If you went over it then I suggest you get your tires and wheel rims checked for damage, the way the car in front went over, at that speed it could well have caused some damage that could become dangerous in the future.

If it had run across the road then we would have seen it block some lights or reflections of lights.
If it had been on its feet then it would have attempted to go through his engine, not under the wheels. Also, he would probably have put his brakes on at some point!

If you went over it then I suggest you get your tires and wheel rims checked for damage, the way the car in front went over, at that speed it could well have caused some damage that could become dangerous in the future.

Well here's the baffling part. The man who hit it was every bit of 80 years old and very frail. He was confused when he pulled over to side of road. He said what did I hit? His bumper was hanging down underside the car. About 5-10 minutes after pulling over (gave him my information), the police pulled up behind us. So I let the police take over from there as I wasn't keen on being on side of road with cars whizzing by me.

So I am not really sure here. His reaction time clearly was impaired due to his age and frailty.

Ultimately, I can't decide if the dead carcass was already in the road and he just happened to run over it, sending it the way of my car. Or if the deer made it through a few lanes before he collided. And just happened to wind up UNDER his car versus over.

Other option is another car hit it first, and sent it flying into his vehicle.

I have deer hair and a few tiny bits and pieces of deer flesh on my car from him flinging all that into the air. I managed to avoid hit coming at me by taking evasive action and swerving. Got under my car last night and did a thorough inspection to make sure and I see no damage or any indication parts of the deer impacted my vehicle.

So I am not really sure here. His reaction time clearly was impaired due to his age and frailty.
If it was lying in the road then it is very reasonable that he didn't see it until too late to either identify it or avoid it, they are very well camouflaged when not moving and if you don't have time to focus your eyes on it then it would just be a blur. I wouldn't put that down to being 80 years old even if a little frail, that is not too old to drive, it is the age of your new president!

It must have been lying in the road, otherwise it would have been liquidised as it demolished the front of his car and a lot of it would have come over his car and plastered your windscreen!

If it was lying in the road then it is very reasonable that he didn't see it until too late to either identify it or avoid it, they are very well camouflaged when not moving and if you don't have time to focus your eyes on it then it would just be a blur. I wouldn't put that down to being 80 years old even if a little frail, that is not too old to drive, it is the age of your new president!

It must have been lying in the road, otherwise it would have been liquidised as it demolished the front of his car and a lot of it would have come over his car and plastered your windscreen!

Well after getting off the phone with the guy, the Police told him the deer was still alive and had to be put down. So if that's the case then one of two things happened.

1. Deer was on Side of Road, tried to get up and flopped in front of car. Guy says he has a bend on his hood.
2. Deer was hit running across the street.

80 years old isn't too old, but it is also a time when reflexes slow down. So his reaction time and confusion are easily attributed to age. Especially since the man was frail.

Not his fault either way on hitting the deer. Even if it was in the road or flopped in front of the car. Appears to have been 100% unavoidable.

Last edited:
Back