Defective LCD screen on GoSafe 272

budster

Reaction score
Country
United States
My GoSafe 272 that has less than 3 months of usage now has a defective LCD screen where the top half is covered with some white mesh background and there are vertical colored lines on the left half. Tried power cycling several times with no effect. See attached image.

Not sure if there's anything else that can be tried. Really disappointed in this dashcam's reliability.

IMG_0176.JPG

From some more testing I did, the LCD problem does not affect recording as the recorded video files can be played back on the computer as normal. Also, connected the dashcam to a TV via the hdmi output and the output shows up on the tv screen as normal.

There is no crack or scratches on the screen. In fact, I still have the original clear plastic peel cover on the screen. I'm not sure if problem is with the LCD itself or some other internal component. Curious what others think is the failed component.

Unfortunately, this was purchased off ebay (brand new) and I don't think I have any recourse after 3 months.

PayPal offers 180 days to resolve issues if you used it to pay

Well, I really cannot in good conscience file a dispute with the seller. They delivered the item brand new and sealed as advertised and on time. I place the blame for this more on Papago's apparent lack of quality and reliability for this dashcam. In fact, the main thing that initially drew me to Papago was its good reputation in Asia (I heard they were considered the Apple of dashcams) so I was interested in their dashcams over other no-name Chinese ones. But now, I got a very different impression of Papago products.

Not suggesting that you do anything shifty, the product has warranty, the seller is responsible for looking after you for the warranty, if they don't meet their obligation though you have some recourse through PayPal to resolve it

Apple is a good comparison, every iPhone I've had has been replaced under warranty for a multitude of reasons, largest tech company in the world still can't build a product that doesn't fail so don't be too hard on papago

Was looking into the Papago warranty (http://us.papagoinc.com/support/warranty/). It says "This warranty extends only to the original retail purchaser with original proof of purchase and only when purchased from an authorized PAPAGO! retailer or reseller." Unfortunately, I don't think the ebay seller is considered an authorized retailer/reseller as they were just a private person selling an extra brand new Papago 272, and I don't know if they would accept an ebay order or paypal transaction printout as proof of purchase. Looks like I just have to take the hit on this and consider this a loss. I was never really impressed by the 272's video quality either (don't know if I got a dud, but other 272 video samples on the web don't look that good either) and looking to replace it. I think I'm going to look for a generic A118C or even possibly a Street Guardian SG9665GC (if I can free up money to spend more) as I think I would prefer the form factor of these the way it's mounted more closely to the windshield and I'm sure the video quality will be much better.

I think I'm going to look for a generic A118C or even possibly a Street Guardian SG9665GC as I think I would prefer the form factor of these the way it's mounted more closely to the windshield and I'm sure the video quality will be much better.

I just sent you a PM with a special DCT member discount code, and a complete technical breakdown of A118C vs premium quality SG9665GC.

Back