Deleted file help!

Davbar1986

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'll try and keep this short.
Owned a 512gw for about a year, brand new with a brand new quality 64gb sd card that i was advised would be suitable for the cam.

2 days ago i witnessed a crash, the footage recorded and would be crucial in the investigation. The cam is hard wired and I played back the video on the cam with no issues...happy days... or so i thought.

To prevent it being overwritten i turned the car off. Cam turned off as normal and i disconnected it from the cradle so i could download it to my PC (didnt have the mobile app at the time).

Plugged in the SD card into the computer and the video has disappeared!! The 7 minutes after the incident are recorded but not the actual incident. Footage from previous drives has saved so why has the one video randomly deleted itself? I've also plugged the Sd card back into the cam and the same videos are viewable on the mobile app.

To say I'm angry is an understatement.

I'm also finding now that playback on the cam is incredibly slow to use and it wont let me scroll through the videos without becoming unresponsive. Sometimes i press the down button for example and nothing happens...

Any ideas?

I've also plugged the Sd card back into the cam and the same videos are viewable on the mobile app.

In the interest of clarity (not my best subject in school!) are you saying that the 'lost' recordings can still be seen via the app, or are they gone from there now too?

Whatever else you do, don't use that card to do any more recording in your cam until you end the efforts to regain the lost files- here's why:
Unless overwritten, the data is normally still on the card; only the file name which is needed to locate the data gets deleted or altered which leaves the card OS unable to locate what you're seeking. It might take a professional service to get it back or it might be something you can do. But the data should still be there regardless as the normal deletion process only affects the file name.

Good luck with this!

Phil

Hi all,

I'll try and keep this short.
Owned a 512gw for about a year, brand new with a brand new quality 64gb sd card that i was advised would be suitable for the cam.

2 days ago i witnessed a crash, the footage recorded and would be crucial in the investigation. The cam is hard wired and I played back the video on the cam with no issues...happy days... or so i thought.

To prevent it being overwritten i turned the car off. Cam turned off as normal and i disconnected it from the cradle so i could download it to my PC (didnt have the mobile app at the time).

Plugged in the SD card into the computer and the video has disappeared!! The 7 minutes after the incident are recorded but not the actual incident. Footage from previous drives has saved so why has the one video randomly deleted itself? I've also plugged the Sd card back into the cam and the same videos are viewable on the mobile app.

To say I'm angry is an understatement.

I'm also finding now that playback on the cam is incredibly slow to use and it wont let me scroll through the videos without becoming unresponsive. Sometimes i press the down button for example and nothing happens...

Any ideas?
Hi,

Your footage may have been Protected when recorded, so it may be stored in the Protected Files folder on the SD card, and not with the normal records.

I'd recommend having a thorough search of all the SD card's folders for the footage.

Otherwise, as the guys above have said, your footage can usually be recovered by a third party company.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Back