Detachable / loose front cam?

sdba11dc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi - first post here - welcoming myself!

I've spent hours looking but couldn't find what I specifically want in a dashcam, so wonder if anyone can help. My requirements are:

1. This is for a car, 4 door sedan.
  2. Good front sensor. I will record at 1080p/60. 4K is nice, but I would not record in it.
  3. Rear - meh. 720p or 1080p is good.
  4. Detachable!! All I want up near my rearviewmirror is a tiny camera. The tinier, the better.
    I do not want a mirror-over design, I don't want a tiny screen - I want a bigger screen, but the ability to put it somewhere else in my console.
    When I say bigger 4,5,6 inches all fine - I just want it somewhere neat, not dangling up top near my mirror.
The closest I came to something fulfilling these requirements are the motorcycle cameras, as they have two little cameras (ideal!) connected to a central screen - perfect!
However I'm worried that these may not come with enough cabling for a car - but they're the closest I could find.
So can I easily extend these cables (not sure what sort of wiring it is)??

Thanks for any help!

sdba11dc

Welcome to the forum sdba11dc.

There is the Street Guardian SG9663DR, thats a dual remote camera for car.
You can not extend the wires, while many use one of the USB plugs ( mini - USB C ) then it is just the plugs, the dashcams have more wires inside it VS USB cables that only have 5 wires inside.

SG do sell a wire that are a little longer than the provided one, i suggest you do a dummy run with a extension cord or string along the route you intend to take, and that way be able to know exactly how long a wire you need.
As the SG9663DR are a dual remote system you have some wiggle room as the main unit dont have to be on the windscreen or dashboard, actually that would be stupid as this type of camera have more wires.
Some have put their main unit in the glove box, some have put it in the back of the car, just one precaution to be weary off really, for G-sensor to be able to pick up little jolts of the vehicle, it also have to be mounted to something rigid.
Again have a look at your car to see where a good install spot for the main unit is, remember that if it is a well hidden spot you choose there must be a little slack in the main unit end so you can take it out of the hiding spot and see the LCD screen and get to the memory card, even if the camera also have wifi for the most generic stuff like setting altering time zone 2 X a year to accommodate for daylight savings.
There is the option to use dual lock tape or neodymium magnets for mounting the main unit, i will be using the magnets myself when i move my test sample to a more permanent location ( i will be using the system as side cameras )
As it is a remote system it also come with a hard wire kit, so parking guard are possible with no extra cost.
And as it is SG, well you get very good customer care.

I have my test sample just draped over the transmission tunnel in the wires, and that way the G-sensor do not pick up anything, but just drop a matchstick on the main unit and it do trigger so it is not faulty.

Here's another vote for the SG dual-remote which as of right now is probably the very best of this type of cam. There's also the K2S which has much smaller cam modules; mine has performed near-perfectly but others have experienced reliability problems with theirs, so if you opt for the K2S it's a crap-shoot on what you'll get. There are other dual-cam systems with the 'head' unit and integral front cam being windshield mounted; some of those are quite small and can hide well based on mounting position and the frit of the windshield (the black dots most cars now have up there). With that type of cam comes a few more choices.

I expect we will see more dual and maybe even triple remote cams in the future; the concept is great for a stealthy install and having the heat-producing components spread out allows for better reliability in hotter climates. None are on the horizon just yet though, so no point in waiting for what may take months or more to arrive.

Phil

Thanks @kamkar and @SawMaster - just finished work so I'm going to starting reading these up now!

Noted on the mounting: I do intend to fix the head unit into my center console (plenty of space), I just wanted to minimize clutter around the mirror... which already has too much already: automatic headlight (Cadillac's "Intellibeam") detector, daylight sensor, automatic rain sensor, garage door opener remote [all of these fitted standard in the vehicle] and then I've added the EZpass Toll tag, plus a Valentine 1 radar detector (wire tapped into the mirror)... so quite the mirror console. So definitely I'd like to avoid adding more clutter!

Appreciate the quick response - great forum.

Also, what I was surprised to [not] find was integrated radio units: I have an Alpine ILX-W650 head unit, which as well as CarPlay, does have a *rear* camera input, as many other stereo head units do also.

But no head unit that I see integrates front-camera input ... I was surprised that there wasn't some sort of head unit that had the regular features of this (carplay/android's version, radio, amplifier, USB)... but also combined a front and rear cam setup ... I need to get in contact with the wizards in Shenzen!

sdba11dc

Also, what I was surprised to [not] find was integrated radio units: I have an Alpine ILX-W650 head unit, which as well as CarPlay, does have a *rear* camera input, as many other stereo head units do also.

sdba11dc
Kenwood have a dashcam that is controlled through their headunit, mid spec hardware though, nothing outstanding but it does suit some users

Back