Detaching Mini-2 from Windshield Mount

BataviaJim

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the trick to remove the Mini-2 from the adhesive windshield mount? Mine is really tight. I removed it once before mounting and I had to pull very hard to get it out, then push as hard to get it back in.

I tried to remove it after I had mounted it, and the mount pulled away from the windshield. (I had followed all instructions to mount it.) So now I don't know if the mount will hold to the windshield, and if it does, how I can remove the cam without pulling off the mount.

I found nothing in the manual about this. A search of this forum turned up a suggestion to pull it to the right but that didn't work -- that's when the adhesive mount came off.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

The Garmin Mini2 comes with two mounts, do you have the second one? If you hold the mount and cam, they separate at the 'ball joint' which is the intended way to swap this model between mounts.

As an aside, the Garmin 57 magnetic mount ball fits this cam and though it's a different shape it makes for much easier swapping cars if you can use it.

Phil

The Garmin Mini2 comes with two mounts, do you have the second one? If you hold the mount and cam, they separate at the 'ball joint' which is the intended way to swap this model between mounts.

As an aside, the Garmin 57 magnetic mount ball fits this cam and though it's a different shape it makes for much easier swapping cars if you can use it.

Phil
Thanks, I do have the second mount. The ball joint is where I try to separate them. I did separate them once, before I mounted it, so I know how it works. However it took extreme pressure to separate and then replace it.

I'd like to get the magnetic mount. Is this the right one:
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/567473#devices
Under compatible devices it lists the 57 but not the Mini 2.
Thank you!

Yes, that's the magnetic mount I spoke of and it will fit the ball-socket, but if you study it's shape you'll see that you may not be able to aim it where you want to in every application since it's designed to have the cam under it, not behind it, like the Mini2 arrangement. Another member here has a Mini2 set up with the 57 mount. I'm quite impressed with the magnetic mount and urged Garmin to incorporate one into the Mini but they haven't done so. I've wondered how long the Mini2 would stay tight when swapping from mount-to-mount regularly, but all I can offer is that I've not heard of anyone with any problems doing that and it does seem to be well designed in that aspect, and as you've found it is quite tight.

Phil

Yes, that's the magnetic mount I spoke of and it will fit the ball-socket, but if you study it's shape you'll see that you may not be able to aim it where you want to in every application since it's designed to have the cam under it, not behind it, like the Mini2 arrangement. Another member here has a Mini2 set up with the 57 mount. I'm quite impressed with the magnetic mount and urged Garmin to incorporate one into the Mini but they haven't done so. I've wondered how long the Mini2 would stay tight when swapping from mount-to-mount regularly, but all I can offer is that I've not heard of anyone with any problems doing that and it does seem to be well designed in that aspect, and as you've found it is quite tight.

Phil
I see what you mean about the different shape. I hadn't noticed that when I ordered one. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out some angle that will work in my 2019 Civic. The windshield slopes more sharply than the average car so it's hard to say. Judging by the photo, I may have to affix the ball part sideways so my camera clears the base. That would be fine though. For $10 it's worth a try since I prefer a magnetic mount.
Thanks for your help.

Phil
I received the magnetic mount. It fits and looks like the angle should work fine on my windshield. Thanks for the pointer; I'd never have found it.

Is there a trick to detaching the camera/magnet from the attached pad? I haven't mounted it because it's a bit chilly here still and instructions say for temp to be above 70 degrees. I tried briefly to separate the two pieces (without anything attached) and they seem tightly held together. I'm assuming once it's mounted and the camera attached I just pull it off? One youtube video seemed to show the guy twisting it to remove, another had it lifted on one side first. I don't want to detach the adhesive pad from the windshield.

I received the magnetic mount. It fits and looks like the angle should work fine on my windshield. Thanks for the pointer; I'd never have found it.

Is there a trick to detaching the camera/magnet from the attached pad? I haven't mounted it because it's a bit chilly here still and instructions say for temp to be above 70 degrees. I tried briefly to separate the two pieces (without anything attached) and they seem tightly held together. I'm assuming once it's mounted and the camera attached I just pull it off? One youtube video seemed to show the guy twisting it to remove, another had it lifted on one side first. I don't want to detach the adhesive pad from the windshield.
Just pull it straight out. Don't twist it.

Use a twine or floss or fishing line to separate them.

Back