Deterents

wags au

Reaction score
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone has tried to make it more obvious that they are recording while driving? And the legalities behind it.
I was thinking of warning stickers or a small red flashing light or something from the back of the car may work wonders to stop things like tailgating? Though it would need to be subtle I guess. Dont want to look like I'm carrying something valuable when parked.

In America, I can film anybody I want while in public. It is perfectly legal to film in public. Now as for putting a sticker on your car saying that you are filming them while driving or when your car is parked, I would think could draw attention to your car. For instance, if you had a red flashing light in you car and I was driving behind you, I could get distracted and actually run into you. I could possibly not see your brake lights because I was paying attention to the flashing light. If you have A sticker on your car saying that I have a camera, is an inventation for every car prowler in the world to break your window. I prefer to keep my camera stealth and out of sight. In America, only the police have dash cams. So, if somebody does actually see my dash cam hanging from my window, they would think I am an under cover cop. In America, everybody actually hates the idea of having a dash cam in their private or company vehicle. We all think that it is an invasion of privacy and that somebody is spying on us. So, dash cams will never be main stream compared to the rest of the world. Really.

I have thought about this as well, but having something to alert people to your camera might keep you from getting things that would of happened on tape. It has been a little nice in that there have been a few drivers that had gone to steal my turns at stop signs seen the camera and then stopped. While i do enjoy the road a little more and feel a little safer with it I also like getting something interesting on video now and again.

That along with what AmericanDriver mentioned would make me recommend against alerting anyone that you have a camera on purpose.

may work wonders to stop things like tailgating?
I like to adjust my speed to the appropriate speed for the tailgater's distance. I don't hit the breaks or anything, as I don't want to start a road rage incident, I just gradually slow down (assuming I'm not coasting in the left lane like an idiot).

If you have a dashcam, never told to anybody from the event scene that you recorded the event. Try to be the latest to declare the accident statements and only with the policeman near you, say in the final that you have a camera which recorded the event.

At this accident the guilty white car driver declared that he drove normally and was hit on the back by the car with dashcam. When police came, there were no witnesses and they said the dashcam driver is guilty based on the scene car positions and white car driver statement. But in the final, the dashcam driver wrote on the policeman accident papers that he have all event recorded. Now the white car driver can be accused also for false statement.

Also if you declare too early that recorded the event is possible to be attacked to steal the camera and destroy the evidence, or the other part to find some lying witnesses and try to demonstrate in the court that your video and camera are fake.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. I've decided to keep the somewhat valuable camera's nice and stealthy, given the responses for the moment. It seems the primary purpose for me would be to determine fault post accident with the footage, or to record a hit and run in the car park. Unfortunately I don't think the threat of being recorded would correct unintentionally bad driving. I agree they may be a target for theft themselves so stickers and the light may draw too much attention.

DashCamMan maybe you can use my idea to make some blog post about this, to help users to make the right decision when some event produced.

More...
For very important events like accidents where you can be acussed, if you recorded the event, the best is to give to the policeman the card with the recording and keep it as evidence, under signature.
In this case you cannot be accused in the future that your video is fake because you didn't take it to your home to modify it. If you are keeping the recorder on, you can speak that you will give the recording to the policeman and then stop de camera and take out the SD Card. You can even make a photo with your smartphone of the card over your police declaration where your wrote that you gave the Card with the recorded event to the policeman.
I know the 32GB is a little expensive so you can use 16GB SD Cards on your dashcam to easy give it and don't think in that moment to the card cost.

But I know some will feel uncomfortable because their evidence is gone, even is in a supposed secure police department. So here I come with another reason to buy a wireless camera like ITB-250HD. If you have this camera and your Android smartphone, you can copy the event recorded file from the dashcam to your smartphone SD Card and now you are sure you have a copy and put it on 2-3 safe places.
Sometime your freedom can depend on such small details like this. So be prepared with from the start.

Here is the copy feature of the ITB-250HD.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi Mtz,

Excellent points. Giving the only copy of the video that you haven't viewed yet to the police is a bit risky. It might be best to take it home, burn a CD and deliver to police. I know you could get accused of doctoring the evidence but at least you can see what is on the video before submitting it. The Wi-Fi solutions or ability to save on internal dash cam memory would probably be ideal in this situation.

If the posts are excellent then I hope you will make some blog post. I don't need to be credited in that post, but I will be happy if more people will be informed which is the best way to protect himself.
This topic is not so visible as your main page blog and if will have some value here can be hidden to many people.

I remember some time ago I read somewhere an article to protect yourself when recording in public space and had a good rating and many views. You can tell me on private if you will do that.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
If the posts are excellent then I hope you will make some blog post. I don't need to be credited in that post, but I will be happy if more people will be informed which is the best way to protect himself.
This topic is not so visible as your main page blog and if will have some value here can be hidden to many people.

I remember some time ago I read somewhere an article to protect yourself when recording in public space and had a good rating and many views. You can tell me on private if you will do that.

enjoy,
Mtz

I have never lived in a country with corrupt cops, but in America, our cops are very nice and if you give them some for of video proof at the screen of the accident, they will fine the at fault driver. Once the police establish fault and that driver is cited at the accident sight, dealing with insurance is much, much easier.

I agree about the police and insurance but the problem is if you will go later to the court and the other part involved in the event is trying to win against you, also claiming that your record is fake or some strange things like that regarding your video evidence.
Remember, there can be situation when somebody can go to the prison for many years and destroying his life forever (even for his fault or mistake) so he can fight for the smallest possible chance to win, to save his life. Many times is not just about scratching your car door and some people are killed and in that case the video can save your liberty, your life.

In my country are many stupid people which are saying that any record is not valid because any camera sold is not approved and agreed by the government before buying it. So if I will have an accident with that type of driver, he will say later to the police or to the judge that my record is not official and is very possible to be fake. So if you are giving the evidence at the accident scene you cannot be accused for faking the evidence compared if you went to the camera at your home Photoshop or... maybe to Hollywood :lol: to change the truth. In my country the only approved cameras are the car police cameras and judge must accept them.
Also in my country the judge can decide if he want to admit the record as evidence or not, if is coming from me. If there are witnesses most of the judges will not accept the video, based on the same stupid reason of not officially approved camera even if on the market is no one to buy. But my chances are bigger if the evidence is already at the police and they are already using it in the case. Is very hard if the other part will try to accuse police department for faking the evidence. The judge will not accept so easy that part.

I hope no one of you to be involved in any event which can destroy your life. Drive safe, keep your recorder on and quiet!

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi Mtz,

I will have to think about writing up a post / page on this. There are a few concerns. Depending on country, the advice may differ. I'm not a lawyer and perhaps this would constitute legal advice as well.

Really the question revolves around one aspect. Is it better to:

A. Give the SD-card to the police to prove the video has not been tampered with but risk having the video evidence used against you if something is incriminating on the video (since you really haven't had a chance to review it).
B. Keep the SD-card, review the video carefully and then decide if you will submit it to the police / insurance and risk being accused of tampering with the video.

If one opts for option B, perhaps the best thing to do is upload the video to youtube (as a private video / need link to access) as soon as possible after the incident (within 1-2 hours). This would give a date and time stamp shortly after the incident making it unlikely that one would have had the time to edit / tamper with the video.

Here is a video from a US Lawyer. Seems like his opinion is contact your lawyer if you get in an accident and have it on dash cam video!

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, this lawyer didn't offered too much or new information, but general, and of course to call him :lol: which is true even with a dashcam or not. I think he must subscribe to this thread :lol: and learn some things and then use his experience to make a better youtube video.

Back to the cameras: some Blackvue have and option to upload to YouTube from your smartphone and the same blackvue and another wireless dashcam can transfer files to your smartphone in seconds.
But like you said, if you are not sure isn't your fault, better is offering the evidence later or use it in court even if you risk to be accused by fake evidence.

About dashcamtalk article, is not a hurry. Time will add new ideas and make things more clear.
:idea:
enjoy,
Mtz

AmericanDriver said:
I have never lived in a country with corrupt cops, but in America, our cops are very nice and if you give them some for of video proof at the screen of the accident, they will fine the at fault driver. Once the police establish fault and that driver is cited at the accident sight, dealing with insurance is much, much easier.

LOL, obviously you don't have much experience with American police, AmericanDriver. They lie all the time to get convictions.

I would show the cop my video, but giving him the only copy? Never. Do you think he cares that much? Do you think there's a mechanism for handling an SD card? Do you think it won't get lost?

As i know about Russia,
Later you will bring your record, less trust to your record from judge expertise
Because this record can be faked with time
If you'll bring your record at earlier periof of time since accident, more trustworthy record will be for judge (pardon my english, not native)

But this is not actual with regular accidents, without victims, there is no need to fake your record, means all records are accepted

Quantum said:
AmericanDriver said:

LOL, obviously you don't have much experience with American police, AmericanDriver. They lie all the time to get convictions.

I would show the cop my video, but giving him the only copy? Never. Do you think he cares that much? Do you think there's a mechanism for handling an SD card? Do you think it won't get lost?

I gotta side with quantum on this one...I would SHOW the officer a video playing back on my device, however I would NOT give him the sd card. No, he doesn't care that much. The chain of evidence procedure is not the best, there is a chance it could very well get lost, then you are really beat. If they were to take it back and attempt to play it they may even delete the entire card. I would gladly show them the video proof that I had, pointing out the speed (if equipped with GPS) and the time and date. Then I would go home make a copy onto a DVD and play it again in front of them (laptop or whatever) and ask the officer to agree that it was the same, un-doctored video he saw right after the incident.

I would never risk giving my only proof of my innocence to anyone, unless I had a copy. Heck, I would even want a copy of the copy, just to make sure!!!

He can take my card if he wants. He can enter in my car and take the whole dashcam if the procedure is so important for me.
I have a wireless dashcam and before giving him I am transferring the videos from the daschcam to my smartphone. Even if he knows or not and I can do this from more than 80 meters distance from my car.

But... if the recording is not my advantage I can delete it from the same distance. "Hey Mr. Policeman, the evidence is on my Card. You can take it or if you want you can take the whole dashcm. The evidence is there and I will not touch it, I will not even enter back in my car"
:cool: :lol: :mrgreen:
enjoy,
Mtz

Back