Developing a dash cam installation adapter... looking for testers in the SF Bay Area

k3vin

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi DCT!

I'm a long time car guy and of course, dash cam advocate :cool:.

I've always loved helping friends and family creatively mount and install their cams. As a nerd, I had always wanted to find a better solution to installing these things and figured out a while ago that powering off of dome lights and rearview mirrors lends itself to the cleanest possible install. The basic premise was to easily add a USB port to your rearview mirror or overhead harness in order to avoid having to run additional power wiring. I started hacking together some connectors and a 12V to USB switching regulator into a harness that I'm trying to sell on amazon.

Anyways, I'm contracting a small run of my newest design to be manufactured, and I'm looking for some local help in the SF bay area to test them out. If you're in the bay area and have a 10-pin or 12-pin gentex mirror, I'd be happy to give you an adapter to try out with your own dash cam setup. If all goes well, I'll throw them up on Amazon for everybody else in the next 2-3 weeks.

IMG_2350 (Medium).JPG
adapters1 (Medium).jpg
1542581041914.png

In a sales production I'd ditch or cover the white connectors and encase all the wires, but otherwise this doesn't look too bad considering that you're not altering the factory plug. If you're outsourcing the 12V to 5V converters, do be aware that some of the cheap ones have poor regulation and a common failure mode of passing 12V through to the cam. You don't want your product to damage someone's cam.

Good luck with this venture and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all goes. And welcome to DCT :)

Phil

In a sales production I'd ditch or cover the white connectors and encase all the wires, but otherwise this doesn't look too bad considering that you're not altering the factory plug. If you're outsourcing the 12V to 5V converters, do be aware that some of the cheap ones have poor regulation and a common failure mode of passing 12V through to the cam. You don't want your product to damage someone's cam.

Good luck with this venture and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all goes. And welcome to DCT :)

Phil
Thanks for the great advice :). For the white colored connector, for sure I will try to have it made in black.

I'll definitely have to do my due-diligence on the converter. I have personally used this converter for years, but yes it is manufactured in Asia where indeed there's not much transparency regarding manufacturing process and design.

very cool! i have cheap cars with basic mirrors so i’m not your target demo but i’ll keep you in mind if any fam or friends can use this.

I'd love to try it out but I live in Texas. :)

I'd love to try it out but I live in Texas. :)
Let me know what kind of mirror you have and I'll see if I have something that works for you :)

Hey guys, this offer still stands! I'm looking for cars like 2018 / 2019 Toyotas, etc! Especially a Prius! :giggle:

Hey guys, this offer still stands! I'm looking for cars like 2018 / 2019 Toyotas, etc! Especially a Prius! :giggle:
Rent one from hertz. A one day rental would not cost much. If you need to spend time modifying your part you would have all day to do it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Giri43 Dash Cam Discussion 0
T Dash Cam Discussion 0
G Dash Cam Discussion 0
I Dash Cam Discussion 6
B Dash Cam Discussion 6
Back