Did anyone buy the U1000 4K yet who can share their experience?

The Cloud feature does work for us and our customers. This isn't to say we haven't come across issues, but they were either resolved or the unit was replaced to a working one.

I think everyone, even manufacturers, would admit ADAS features won't be accurate/reliable since the dash cam isn't connected to the vehicle's software and thus won't understand steering input, pedal input, etc.
No dash cam has accurate/reliable ADAS.

The U1000 has better video quality than the DR900S and, in some instances, the A129 Pro as well:

One thing to have an opinion, another to advertise misinformation without a real review.
I can understand it hurts your bottom line but it is my opinion and a real review, and not at all misinformation. The cloud feature does NOT work, the hotspot does not work and the ADAS does not work as advertised. Faulty unit? I don't know, I'll try and get it replaced but as of now, its exactly what I said it is .. a really expensive dashcam that doesn't do half of what it says. If I just wanted a dashcam that records .. I'd go with Viofo. If I wanted quality recording + cloud, I'd go with with BlackVue but since I wanted quality recording + cloud + safety tech, I went with Thinkware and it fails on both cloud + safetry terribly, hence, do NOT buy.

I can understand it hurts your bottom line but it is my opinion and a real review, and not at all misinformation. The cloud feature does NOT work, the hotspot does not work and the ADAS does not work as advertised. Faulty unit? I don't know, I'll try and get it replaced but as of now, its exactly what I said it is .. a really expensive dashcam that doesn't do half of what it says. If I just wanted a dashcam that records .. I'd go with Viofo. If I wanted quality recording + cloud, I'd go with with BlackVue but since I wanted quality recording + cloud + safety tech, I went with Thinkware and it fails on both cloud + safetry terribly, hence, do NOT buy.

Yup, your opinion is 100% respected. I hope you do go through the replacement process and whoever you purchased from will provide proper support for you, as that's what we and Thinkware would do to ensure you have a working product. Let us know if you run into any issues here. If the replacement dash cam does then work, we'll know your first one was, unfortunately, defective.

Just updated to the 1.00.13 firmware. What does it change? Thinkware never release change log though.

it fails on both cloud + safetry terribly, hence, do NOT buy

And there is your problem, or at least it often seem to be the problem those bells and whistles.
I just want a dashcam that do good video, and in case it go bad have good support locally.

Personally i feel the current GEN 1 4K cameras all have their issues ( from hearing / reading in here ) if not outright problems, then at least not quite being what people hoped they would be when they got one.
Of course the bells and whistles are trademarks of Blackvue and Thinkware / Koren cameras, so those brands would probably be reluctant to forgo those, even if it meant they could focus more on the core values of their systems.
So i am sticking to my old stuff for now.

I am also eager to see 1440p cameras or dual 1440p cameras, but even if those sensors should be better for low light at least, i would still be just as apprehensive about those new systems.
So also not cameras i would rush out of the door to get one, even if some have dabbled a little with 1440p already, i still feel it is new technology.

I've been using an F770 for 4 years without any issues, but recently won a U1000 through the Thinkware video competition thing, so I've had the U1000 in my car for a day and a half so far. Not much time to thoroughly test it, but these are my first impressions - some of which perhaps others can help me figure out. I updated to the latest V.13 firmware, by the way. (Speaking of which, I absolutely HATE when companies don't push out changelogs. Does anyone know where I can find one?)

First, the good. The video quality is a HUGE step up from my F770. The unit looks a lot better. I prefer the "vertical" form factor over the horizontal one. The buttons are not nearly as loose, and so don't rattle around when driving, so hopefully no more of that noise on clips. The app is SO much faster to use, video playback is MUCH faster, and downloading clips is WAY faster. Makes the F770 setup feel like a beta version. This app experience feels much more polished. I like that the rear camera lost the chrome ring, and switched to black mounting tape, and that you can disable the LED. Makes it much less visible from the outside. Wish they'd do the same for the front camera, rather than all the flashy labeling and stuff. May take a sharpie to all of that.

Now, some of the finicky things I'm still working to address. Lot's of these are relatively minor, but I think for a device that, when you don't win one for free, costs this much, they are valid criticisms. There is always room for improvement after all :)

1. The right 1/4 of the front camera footage is blurry, and seems to have a faint double-image effect. That might be a result of the CPL filter, so I'll have to try cleaning it, or removing it entirely and see if it persists. It's definitely not normal edge-of-lens distortion as the footage on the left side is crisp and clear (surprisingly so.) You can see my test footage below. If it's a lens defect, then I'll have to see about getting a replacement.

2. Why in the hell you cannot disable the WiFi entirely is beyond me. I get that this is a cloud camera, but clearly many of us won't be using the cloud features. I did the whole, "connect to a hotspot once to shut the camera up" thing, but the blue WiFi light blinking endlessly annoys me. Not to mention this unit gets hot while in use, so disabling the WiFi radio might help with that. The WiFi button on the camera should be able to be held to disable WiFi entirely. Long press to disable. Short press to enable (in Phone App mode by default.) That way I can press it to connect from my phone to download clips, and then long press it to shut it off permanently again. That's a simple change that I think a lot of people would appreciate, from what I've seen. My F770 worked like this, and I wish the U1000 did the same.

3. The sensitivity of the shock sensor is WAY more sensitive than my F770. On that camera, the low setting worked well in my BRZ (lowered, on coilovers, on low profile tires, on crappy Chicago roads.) On this camera, the low setting constantly sets it off. I took to disabling it entirely, as with a large SD card, it isn't really necessary anyway.

4. The speaking voice is loud and clear, but my god is it loud. I'm in a small coupe, so the camera is only 2 feet from me, and even on "Low" it's still at what I would have thought "High" should sound like. They need a much quieter option for smaller vehicles. Also, they DESPERATELY need per-announcement controls. I like the camera telling me it's starting to record, and that it has acquired GPS, etc... but that lengthy speech telling me how to connect my phone EVERY TIME I SWITCH WIFI MODES is incredibly irritating - especially since it's so loud.

5. [RESOLVED!] I don't know why the heck I can't seem to figure out how to get the timestamps working properly. I set my proper GMT offset, and the proper DST mode, but it still seems to always end up an hour off. Then it acquires GPS and gets the proper time, and that results in the first set of video clips being out of order. I've tried different combinations but it always seems wrong. Hopefully I was just being dumb when I originally set it up. I changed it to what it SHOULD be (-6, DST ON) for Chicago after getting to work today and parking in an underground parking garage. We shall see if the time starts off correctly when I leave work today. I work in IT, so stuff like this doesn't usually give me trouble - and I don't remember having this much trouble setting up the F770, but... maybe I was just being dumb.

6. I swear the camera reset itself to default settings last night, as all of the stuff I had changed didn't match when I went to play with the time settings today. Maybe just a fluke...

Last edited:
Summer time ?

Yeah, it's -5 at the moment, due to DST, which pushes it forward an hour. So -6+1 (because DST is "on" at the moment) = -5 :)

But y'all can ignore that one complaint now. It seems to be working properly this time. Maybe it was associated with the seeming "reset" of all my settings :)

At least it was free, so that make it awesome almost regardless of anything, aside for a motherboard i won way back in 2004 or something i have never won anything on the internet.
And that motherboard i dident even get notified i won it, suddenly it was just there at my door, and i had to go to the makers ( Abit ) homepage to see my name in neon.

TBH these days i would also prefer to spend whatever remaining luck with the lotto gods, but they are very unkind to me, and not at all blinded by my kind nature.

Oh, absolutely. Free is cool, and I'm totally happy to have won their contest. But it's still replacing my daily driver, so it is subject to the same scrutiny, regardless. I plan on writing up a better review anyway once I've used it for a bit, and worked out all the kinks and whatnot.

Yeah.
Always a good idea to keep taps on things, when brand new but also in the long run.
I am also very much looking forward to seeing my first 4K camera, the " tests" i have done with a 4K action camera look very nice, though it also have a bitrate at least 3X of what dashcams have ( 100 mbit )
Not that you can see that when youtube have had their fingers on the footage.

Just checking you have the Thinkware Cloud App and not the Dashcam Viewer App?

Normal WiFi connection is really just for quick settings change or downloading a clip or two and will disconnect when the App is closed (or stops running in the background of the phone) for longer term connection the Hotspot connection to the phone is the way forward. I knocked up the below Word document for a customer who was struggling a while back and it's helped a few people since. I hope it may help you it was done for iOS but it's very similar to Android:

Hi Maddog,
Will attempt installing the U1000 using the wiring for the Q800 pro. If the connection for the rear camera is not compatible or long enough, Am I able to return the unit?
Thanks

I disagree with you. Parking mode in thinkware is reliable. I had Blackvue fail on me previously. Viofo is ok but Thinkware has been working very well I am happy with it. I am yet to test cloud and ADAS and others im not really using.. Speed alerts are great also.

Great item, all works as it should, but it took some Hours to figure out and install all features. A Hotspot via iPhone is a iPhone issue, but a dedicated hotspot works just fine. I updated the firmware and additional the EU speedcamfile. Lifeview (camera view) works only in continues mode, obviously not in energy saving mode. Using the radar unit a pretty long standby time is the result, even better with a car equipped with a double AGM battery. Very happy wit the unit, but be patient when installing the hotspot.

Great item, all works as it should, but it took some Hours to figure out and install all features. A Hotspot via iPhone is a iPhone issue, but a dedicated hotspot works just fine. I updated the firmware and additional the EU speedcamfile. Lifeview (camera view) works only in continues mode, obviously not in energy saving mode. Using the radar unit a pretty long standby time is the result, even better with a car equipped with a double AGM battery. Very happy wit the unit, but be patient when installing the hotspot.
903D18E0-5964-4D95-AFB0-F1E4CC3FCBBC.jpeg

Great item, all works as it should, but it took some Hours to figure out and install all features. A Hotspot via iPhone is a iPhone issue, but a dedicated hotspot works just fine.

iPhone Issue? I know with an iPhone you have to keep the Hotspot screen of the iPhone on until the Camera has connected to it (which seems crazy to me but hey that's Apple) apart from that all should be good.Capture.PNG

Correct, its a known issue that iPhone has certain issues on hotspot. I fact, incase you want to connect via hotspot, the iPhone hotspot must be switched off, prior to connect to external devices, not being a Apple device. So, all the time, when you want to connect via iPhone hotspot you have to follow this steps. If you do so, the iPhone hotspot does work. I don’t know why Apple decided to do this, perhaps e energy saving thing.
But for instance, a TP-link hotspot works just great without any problems.

I use the video from it occasionally on my Youtube channel. It looks pretty good to me, loses a little after youtube compression but still better than my other cameras.

Back