Did anyone mount (front or rear) dashcam without using glue?

DocHudson

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello folks,

Trying to find a dashcam mounting solution without the use of the glue. I have made numerous attempts to mount dashcam using sticky tape recommended here on the board, but it has ALWAYS fallen off. Initially, I thought it could be summer months only but it happened during winter as well. So I have given up on sticky mount method.

This one method I am considering for the front dashcam, using rearview mirror,

but overall, I am trying to find a solution which I can mount on the roof liner using screws or using a visor clip. Has anyone attempted such mount? If yes, would love to see your ideas, preferably with where did you source the parts from.

Many thanks in advance.

i've never had a camera fall off using 3M mounting tape. are you cleaning up surfaces before mounting? waiting the proper time for the adhesive to cure before adding the weight of the camera?

i have some experience mounting devices in the rear view mirror and overall i am not sold on it. the added weight introduces vibrations to both the mirror and the device. you may end up with very shaky video.

perhaps you can look through these threads to give you alternative mounting ideas:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-did-you-mount-the-camera-post-your-pictures.502/
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-mounting-solutions.2654/

I cannibalised a mount and using a bit of bent metal, bent to shape made my own mount using half the original then screwed into the metalwork surrounding/to front of interior light, worked a treat, though this was on some one else's car I have had no problems with the 3M sticky pads, it's 25C here at moment and still stuck fast

I cannibalised a mount and using a bit of bent metal, bent to shape made my own mount using half the original then screwed into the metalwork surrounding/to front of interior light, worked a treat, though this was on some one else's car I have had no problems with the 3M sticky pads, it's 25C here at moment and still stuck fast
Can you post the pictures, please?

Do you deep clean the area, before you use the sticker.

Nothing I have stick to the windshield has never come off in my case.

Hello folks,

Trying to find a dashcam mounting solution without the use of the glue. I have made numerous attempts to mount dashcam using sticky tape recommended here on the board, but it has ALWAYS fallen off. Initially, I thought it could be summer months only but it happened during winter as well. So I have given up on sticky mount method.

This one method I am considering for the front dashcam, using rearview mirror,

but overall, I am trying to find a solution which I can mount on the roof liner using screws or using a visor clip. Has anyone attempted such mount? If yes, would love to see your ideas, preferably with where did you source the parts from.

Many thanks in advance.

My Mobius is mounted to a stamped thin metal "T" bracket screwed to the windshield trim, and my G1W-S in back is held onto a wooden bulkhead wall using painted plumbing hanger strap and screws :cool: YMMV (Yes, Mine's My Van) :p

My side cams are on cheap suction cup mounts, apparently those were made by Fallhoff-Weeklee :rolleyes:

RVM cams and mounts are notorious for vibration and even causing the mirror and cam to move around while driving. Good suction mounts seem to do OK on flat glass, but some cars use a raised "frit" (the name for those black dots in windshields) and then they won't stay put :(

Used properly, the 3M VHB tape used to mount cams has been reported many times over to last several years under the harshest conditions and temperature extremes, and though I haven't used it I wouldn't hesitate to. When I finalize the location of my next cam (SG9663DC) I'll have my personal experience with the 3M VHB to add :D

Phil

Can you post the pictures, please?
I can see this was about 6-7 years ago on a Ford Bronco of all things, don't even know if car is still going tbh, it was for a GI mate in USAF/E, I am certain he will have piccies but really easy to do if I remember right we used some MECANNO strips of metal or radio bracket metal strip that has the holes/slots in it

You will have to clean the windscreen really good where you want to put the tape, a lot of goop build up on that one even if you are not a smoker.

So i never had problems sticking to windscreen, but i had one case where the dual-sided tape for unknown reasons would no longer stick the the plastic of the mount, no matter what i cleaned it with or even sanded it down.
So in the end i just put a little CA glue on the plastic mount and then pressed that against the dual-sided tape still on the windscreen, and since that the damn thing stayed on.

I have made numerous attempts to mount dashcam using sticky tape recommended here on the board, but it has ALWAYS fallen off.
I have always used 3M Dual Lock
I have never had any issues with it. I have tested quite a few cameras this way because I can peal off the 3M stick tape and apply the dual lock to the mount. I can then use my excisting dual lock on my windscreen to mount the camera. This gives me good hold and still lets me take the camera down.

133GPnWs.jpg

1LOnFcHs.jpg

ZSXvpVRs.jpg

CCyUka4m.jpg

Dual Lock Tape is also the only thing holding my car and CB Radio in place with no issues, and it gets a bit hot back there.
qJdKrXab.jpg

When it comes to rear view mirror mounts depending on the camera you are using you could try something like this

My dashcams are mounted with magnets.
The magnets are glued to surfaces and another to the cam

Front: magnet fixed with 3m tape to windscreen, magnet 3m sticky square to dashcam mount.

Rear: magnet fixed with superglue to plastic trim, magnet 3m sticky square to dashcam mount.

This way I can add and remove the cams whenever needed.

You'll need a very strong polarised magnet to hold the weight of the dashcam. The magnet permanently fixed to the car should not be as strong otherwise you won't be able to remove the cam or might damage something if both have really strong pulling forces.

These magnets are fixed to the mounting points in my cams and support the weight of the cams easily:

first4magnets F25104-4 25 x 10 x 4 mm Thick N42 Neodymium Magnet with 5.4 kg Pull (Pack of 4) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00TACLPN0
The round magnets are fixed to my car:
Kit Universal In-Car Magnetic Smartphone Holder Compatible with Sat Nav Apps and Bluetooth Hands-Free Devices - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B000X1DTXG

Last edited:
Back