Did anyone try it yet?

stuff.hunter

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
70mai Pro + GPS, 70mai
hi guys,

thinking about getting one and just wondering is it any good, got 70mai Pro with GPS at the moment but need something with 2 channels

TIA,
Kris

Vantrue cameras are normally OK, but not very good value.

Seems this one is also not very good value, only an IMX323 for the rear camera puts it well behind Viofo A129 and SG ??????.

Marketing looks impressive, but "superior HDR (high Density recording)" - that is not what HDR stands for :D

For that price you can buy a Viofo A129, might even get a 4K version in a few weeks time, and even the standard version has Starvis sensors front and back.

You might also want to check up on the performance of their parking modes, the last Vantrue I tested (the T2) used a radar sensor that was excellent, but took about 6 seconds to wake the camera up before it started recording, so often missed the event completely. The Viofo A129 has buffered, timelapse and low bitrate parking modes these days - a lot more likely to catch events.

thanks for the feedback, mate
btw, can 2nd cam be used for rear window instead of interior?

thanks for the feedback, mate
btw, can 2nd cam be used for rear window instead of interior?
If you are asking for A129, the A129 duo comes with rear camera, the A129 DUO IR come with IR interior camera.

If you are asking for A129, the A129 duo comes with rear camera, the A129 DUO IR come with IR interior camera.
yeah, meant A129 Duo , not Duo IR :) thanks for clarifying it

A long time ago this forum helped me out and I want to do the same where I can.

I just tried it out. Wired it in last night and went for a drive today. Here's what I can tell you: It is absolute rubbish.

Using all the provided OE installation items (I did not hardwire it in and used the cig lighter as I wasn't certain on this item) I went ahead and put all the wiring in place and mounted the cam. It did not take that long but I always find electrical anything with vehicle's tedious and annoying. Having said that- it all installed no problem.

I drove around today for some errands after doing the initial set up, turning off GPS and setting date and time.

Here are the problems:

1) The camera at times will start with the car, ready to go and with the date and time information still correct- but sometimes it won't start, and sometimes when it starts it doesn't record because it wants you to go through all the initial set up instructions all over again including setting the language.

2) The quality of the image is absolutely unacceptable. I took it out today where there is perfect photography flat lighting with light cloud cover and middle of the day light. It doesn't get much better than this. Terrible picture quality. Unless the car is right in front or behind you at a stand still- it won't capture the plate at all.

3) The file naming doesn't make sense. When you pull the card out and bring it to your computer it has 'B' designation and 'A' designation for whichever camera the footage was taken on. So far so good. But instead of naming the files 10001A and corresponding rear cam file for example 10001B, it counts up on the numbers. This is a minor niggle but its annoying.

All in all for the price that this thing costs- it is absolute rubbish.

The picture quality on my Viofo A119 (front only) camera is FAR superior and I'm putting that back on right after this post because its reliable, works and gives me a good image.

I'm returning this one. Hard pass is my recommendation. I'll leave some screen grabs from my computer up for now:

8ipgiO9.jpg

fHjdgBn.jpg

KO9JPxz.jpg

NHIgqzR.jpg

Last edited:
Is that 4K video recorded at 12Mb/s?

The S1 isn't a 4k cam. It's 1080 basically- the sales pitch was that it had a good sensor (Sony) and wide aperture that made the quality good. You can decide if you think that's acceptable quality on a $200 USD cam.

The S1 isn't a 4k cam. It's 1080 basically- the sales pitch was that it had a good sensor (Sony) and wide aperture that made the quality good. You can decide if you think that's acceptable quality on a $200 USD cam.
It has 1080 sensors, but it does say in the specification: "The Single front dash camera record videos up to a resolution of 2880*2160P/24FPS ",
so it can record 2160P (4K) even though it is not genuine 4K, just wondered if that was what we are looking at?
And what bitrate is it? (obviously not enough!)

I see- sounds like you know more than I about that subject!

All I can tell you is I did explore the menu options and there aren't any for video- it said 1080 (I'm pretty sure- but either way no options to change the setting and I'm not plugging it back in to find out lol). I know most cam manufacturers give different frame rate and quality options but this one just had the single option. If it is 24 FPS then that would explain the blurred edges on things at normal town driving speeds.

As a general FYI to others- I was offered this cam for the price of free if I left a perfect review with images on a well known site- obviously I am not going to do that but I wanted to share my experience here. This however should caution you when you see great reviews with pictures etc from others as I am sure I am not the only one that was offered this.

Whatever it is- I have now owned the G1W, A118 & A119 and I can tell you that even the $50 G1W is better.

Here's the photo's I was going to include in my review in addition to the footage before I had footage:

idsW6DP.jpg

Xe85oRc.jpg

99vwrVg.jpg

It has 1080 sensors, but it does say in the specification: "The Single front dash camera record videos up to a resolution of 2880*2160P/24FPS ",

sensors are native 1080p, anything it offers above that is interpolated, that never ends well

As a general FYI to others- I was offered this cam for the price of free if I left a perfect review with images on a well known site- obviously I am not going to do that but I wanted to share my experience here. This however should caution you when you see great reviews with pictures etc from others as I am sure I am not the only one that was offered this.
unfortunately they're one of those brands that participate in fake reviews, free product for reviews etc, glad to see you're not adding to the problem, wish more people had the same attitude

sensors are native 1080p, anything it offers above that is interpolated, that never ends well
Front sensor is a pretty decent 1080 sensor though, should look much better than the above images!
Unfortunately Vantrue doesn't seem very capable of decent firmware updates, so I doubt it will improve.

Front sensor is a pretty decent 1080 sensor though, should look much better than the above images!
Unfortunately Vantrue doesn't seem very capable of decent firmware updates, so I doubt it will improve.
yeah it's a good sensor, if effort was put into using it at native res instead of wasting time for marketing numbers that only make it perform worse

Vantrue are just a marketing company and although the factories they deal with are capable of better as evidenced by products the factories make for others it seems Vantrue don't bother with improving things

A long time ago this forum helped me out and I want to do the same where I can.

I just tried it out. Wired it in last night and went for a drive today. Here's what I can tell you: It is absolute rubbish.

Using all the provided OE installation items (I did not hardwire it in and used the cig lighter as I wasn't certain on this item) I went ahead and put all the wiring in place and mounted the cam. It did not take that long but I always find electrical anything with vehicle's tedious and annoying. Having said that- it all installed no problem.

I drove around today for some errands after doing the initial set up, turning off GPS and setting date and time.

Here are the problems:

1) The camera at times will start with the car, ready to go and with the date and time information still correct- but sometimes it won't start, and sometimes when it starts it doesn't record because it wants you to go through all the initial set up instructions all over again including setting the language.

2) The quality of the image is absolutely unacceptable. I took it out today where there is perfect photography flat lighting with light cloud cover and middle of the day light. It doesn't get much better than this. Terrible picture quality. Unless the car is right in front or behind you at a stand still- it won't capture the plate at all.

3) The file naming doesn't make sense. When you pull the card out and bring it to your computer it has 'B' designation and 'A' designation for whichever camera the footage was taken on. So far so good. But instead of naming the files 10001A and corresponding rear cam file for example 10001B, it counts up on the numbers. This is a minor niggle but its annoying.

All in all for the price that this thing costs- it is absolute rubbish.

The picture quality on my Viofo A119 (front only) camera is FAR superior and I'm putting that back on right after this post because its reliable, works and gives me a good image.

I'm returning this one. Hard pass is my recommendation. I'll leave some screen grabs from my computer up for now:

8ipgiO9.jpg

fHjdgBn.jpg

KO9JPxz.jpg

NHIgqzR.jpg
Have you tried to update the firmware? It has the latest version on the official site. Fixed the speed unit bug and other problems.

yeah it's a good sensor, if effort was put into using it at native res instead of wasting time for marketing numbers that only make it perform worse

Vantrue are just a marketing company and although the factories they deal with are capable of better as evidenced by products the factories make for others it seems Vantrue don't bother with improving things
Just saw Sunny's thread:
Overall bit rate is around 10.9 mbps.
Well I guess that explains it, that is not far off parking mode bitrate for other cameras :rolleyes:

While others are worse (and some are better) they don't seem to put much effort into things once they get their cams on the market, and more's the pity as they usually have potential for worthwhile improvement :( The success of a business is as much in how they operate as it is in the product they offer ;)

Phil

Back