Did i just do that ???? o Yes i did

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Me being a idiot and almost running over a cyclist yesterday, and then padded with a little from my short drive today. ( crash warning,,,,, though "funny" from my perspective )

What can i say about that ? well try to do better it is after all only 7 years or so since i almost did the same with a cyclist coming from the Left and in complete darkness at 6 in the morning this time of the year, so i blame her having a single 5 mm LED headlight as the reason i dident see her in the sea of headlights.

Its my opinion, if one takes it from the perspective of one vehicle for the width of the lane, the bicycle was at fault and NOT your self. You were there first and I would imagine you had your turn signals indicating you were going to make a right hand turn. The worst you did was not practise defensive driving and check your side mirror while waiting or stop and look for a bicyclist but then bicyclist did not practise safe bicyling. If I see a car making a right turn (signals on) I am NOT going to get in front of him if I am riding a bike.

If you take a look at the 0:33 mark in
you will see a diagram from bicyclist explaining the dashed line. Since there is no solid or dashed line, its my believe the bicycle should have either waited behind you or passed you from the left

Reactions: Mtz
The bicyclist decided to go into an occupied lane. In addition they passed illegally on the right (ditch) side. It is illegal to pass on the right.
The only thing Kamkar did wrong was to think he made a legal mistake when he did not.

The bicycle had the legal duty to wait behind Kamkars car and to move forward only after Kamkar had moved forward. 2 vehicles are not allowed to take the same road lane space excepting 2 friendly motorcycles or bicycles riding side by side safely in the same lane. A cycle moving next to a car in a traffic lane violates the law and the rules of the road.

The rules of the road are very simple to understand. If you perform an action that is likely to get you injured or killed that is almost always a legal violation. Rules of the road just like rules of the sea are based on not making moves that are likely to cause you to be hit and sunk (or damaged). Safety demands not pulling next to a car that might not see you. It also demands not taking a left in front of another car.

Last edited:
My sister almost hit someone doing the same thing when we drove to downtown Toronto. I would have thought she was at fault until I saw the diagrams, but the bicyclists, the same people that run reds all the time here, have us convinced regardless of what we do, we are in the wrong.

Here is a streamable video of a group of bicycles, some with young children at the back, running a red with in front of a cars. Shot in Seattle i believe. Cam cyclists states
  • "We are a single vehicle"
  • "Edit calm down. You are in a death machine"
https://streamable.com/kusrw

Cam cyclist eventually took his youtube video down , but someone who knew that was going to happen downloaded it

Edit: modified second bullet, spelling

The stone was put there so car will no go anymore over the grass?

enjoy,
Mtz

Cyclists here are divine beings, hurting one in the slightest way will bring you nothing but grief.
I am not quite sure who was in the wrong here, but i do know i should have known he was there, but my focus was solely on the left and a gap i could make my Right turn into.
So it could as well have been a pedestrian coming from the Right, which i know have the right of way cuz even if not signed or marked they have a imaginal crossing field in a place like this, actually one evening i almost ran down a jogger in the same place a few winters ago, dident see him in his black spandex outfit run out in front of me.
Jogger had the right to, but it is hard to see black on black in a sea of car headlights.

I think its a matter of using your head - know the traffic rules - and make sure the others know your intentions, and that's why we motorists have indicators on our car, and it is important we use them.

Yes @Mtz it seem to be like that, wash world have been cheap with the tarmac, if they had put down 20 - 30 Sq/M more it would have been no problem
Also on the left in that turn you can see there use to be 4 steel poles there. but they have been cut down to the ground as cars hit those

If you had your indicator on for turning right and an idiot on a bike decides to come along side you and go straight on, he deserves a head injury.

I would think you'd have seen a pedestrian in the few moments before they even get to your car if they were coming from the right and later intending to cross in front of you

Bicyclists are typically at fault because they make up their own rules of the road.

I bet that stone will be moved a little the next time you visit, and probably have some paint smears on it.

Back