Did I make a big mistake?

GMProps

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and so glad that I have found this place.

I have always wanted a dash cam ever since I had a car accident almost 4 years ago. I could have really used it then.

Anyway, I finally got lured into purchasing a Novatek T810 OnCam from Tmart. I received it and have had nothing but problems with it. It is a nice looking camera and the video quality looks very sharp and clean. But it won't record. I started with a SanDisk 32GB Ultra SD Card and would not recognize it. The I read here that the SanDisk Ultra's are not the best choice for dash cams. So I purchased a 32GB Transcend card, but no luck with that either. I formatted the cards with Fat32 on my Mac. No good. Then I re-formatted them on a PC using Fat32 (no Quick Format). Still no luck.

I contacted the tech support at Tmart and described the problem. Their response: send us a sample of a recording. Hmmm.... How do I send a sample if I cannot get it to record.

Did I make a mistake? Should I have used my $60 towards a better dash cam? Help me out please. I know there are a lot of veteran dash cam users here.

Thanks!

Have you formatted the card inside the camera?

As soon as I select "Format" from the menu on the camera it says "Please Insert SD Card". The SD card is already inserted. I am suspecting I received a defective cam.

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the format tool and tried it. Formatted okay on the PC, but still unable to format it on the camera.

it sounds to me like there's probably absolutely nothing wrong with the memory cards and the camera itself is faulty/crap

I have a Samsung Evo class 10, a Sandisk Ultra class 10 and a Kingmax class 6 in my cams, all 32gb and all faultless

How long have you had the cam?

Is Tmart just online or do they have local stores?

How long have you had the cam?
About a week. I should probably learn to stay away from Chinese knock-offs. It does come with a 90-day money back guarantee. I think I will have to do this. Thought I would have a cam for an 8 hour drive I am doing on July 2nd, but I guess I will have to go without.

Not sure what the laws are like there, but it'd be covered under manufacturer warranty here by law, regardless of the retailer returns policy

its probably not a "knock-off", so many dash cams are made in china and you might well just have a dud... even the best manufacturers can have the odd item go wrong, My Mio Mivues are Chinese as far as I know, had no issues

Tech support at Tmart have stopped talking to me, so I must conclude that the cam is a dud. Time to start looking for another affordable one.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Return it to Tmart as defective for a refund if you can, then get a better cam from a better source. Tmart was once a very good online source but competition seems to have forced them to cut out their customer service, all the way from fulfilling orders to after-sales support :( I know lots of people who will no longer buy from them because of unresolved problems.

Phil

Return it to Tmart as defective for a refund if you can, then get a better cam from a better source. Tmart was once a very good online source but competition seems to have forced them to cut out their customer service, all the way from fulfilling orders to after-sales support :( I know lots of people who will no longer buy from them because of unresolved problems.

Phil
Thanks Phil. That is exactly what I am going to do. I have already found myself looking at the various dash cams that are sold in the big chain stores like Best Buy, but I don't recognize the brand names. Not exactly sure what I should be looking for. I am a tech by trade (electronics designer) but I am not sure which cam is the best. I will have to go through the reviews and check out the threads here to find out which cams seem to be favored by dash cam vets. I don't even mind spending a few hundred if I can get a really good unit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DashcamDPR Dash Cam Discussion 4
James.R.UstlerIV Dash Cam Discussion 10
Back