Did I receive a fake G1W?

Valthero

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! First time dash cam buyer here. I focused on the G1W because it was cheap and seemed reliable.

I ordered this. Note the distinct lack of BLACKVIEW DM8000 on the front in the preview images. Otherwise, it's visually the same as what I got.

What I received: http://imgur.com/a/k8wrJ

And here's a recording from the camera. Download for the greatest playback, it was on 1080p mode. Please forgive the messy kitchen, but it's far too late to go out and record a driving video, as it's 4AM as of this post. I'm using one of these for storage. The details for the video file may be found at the bottom of the imgur album.

I haven't tried it in my vehicle yet, I need to replace a blown fuse to be able to use the 12v port, but it seems to record well enough under battery power.

So, what's the verdict? I'm honestly not sure if it's a fake or not. Could somebody with a true blue genuine G1W please post a few pictures to assuage or confirm my doubts? And how exactly do I disassemble the camera to check the firmware version? I don't want to break it.

Any response at all is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Ah, okay. The firmware version is 2014.0108, so it seems to be fully up-to-date, according to here.

These are public model product, there are multiple versions available, which version you have is hard to say

Hmm. So there are multiple versions of the G1W? It's possible that this is a G1W, but just a different version of it?

There are 6 different versions that I know of (there may be others) that are built to the same basic hardware spec (Novatek 96650 + AR0330) then there are the lower cost models built on lower spec hardware

Is there any way to know if I received a model with inferior hardware?

You can take picture and video with the camera and get the basic info from the resulting files to work out what you have from the file properties

Hmm. It has the proper bitrate, frames per second, etc, and it records to MOV. I'm pretty sure this is the real deal, but still, I'd like some sort of foolproof confirmation.

Oh, I forgot something — This is the splash screen when I boot up the dash cam. Would this be different if it were fake, or real?

Alright. Well, here's to hoping this is the actual G1W. Aside from the text on the front and the splash screen, it seems to be identical. Thanks for the input.

Back