Did the Nextbase 522GW get an updated Digitizer at some point?

povgride742

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I recently received a replacement 522GW from Nextbase due to my digitizer displaying vertical lines inconsistently across the screen.

With the replacement, I can’t see anything with polarized sunglasses on (exact same sunglasses that I could with before). I’ve tried disabling screen dimming to no avail. Does anyone know if the 522GW received an updated digitizer at some point?

The replacement unit has an OLDER serial number than my original (I was sent a recertified 522GW). It would be very disheartening if my warranty replacement has an inferior screen, which would add to my frustration (I sent in all the original packaging as asked, including all protective material, bags, etc. and what I received was a box in somewhat beat condition, no protective materials (like lens covers and what not) and one of the box separators missing).

Here's a video of what I’m talking about with the new 522GW:

Unfortunately, I didn’t try this with my old 522GW (as I didn’t think this would be an issue):

Thank you in advance for your time!

Edit:
Both units were/are running firmware 21.5. Old unit had auto-dimming turned on.

If I returned a faulty product and received an older product not packaged properly I'd be annoyed as well.

Refurbished I think is the term used, very rarely will a free replacement be a brand new, off the shelf item, unless exchanged at the point of purchase.
I’m sure the one you returned will at some point be repaired, repacked and shipped out as a free replacement.

That LCD screen is designed for vertical use (portrait mode), they have used the wrong model!

Probably, the screen was updated at some point after people complained, and you have been given an inferior one, not everyone wears polarized glasses, so they don't notice the problem. If it is going to be a problem then it seems reasonable to ask for a replacement.

I do not think it is a wrong screen. I believe this is caused by the position of the polarised filter on the front of the lense. If the front lense was to be rotated by 90deg, the darkness would go away. Wearing polarised sunglasses is the problem here.

I do not think it is a wrong screen. I believe this is caused by the position of the polarised filter on the front of the lense. If the front lense was to be rotated by 90deg, the darkness would go away. Wearing polarised sunglasses is the problem here.
Not correct. The CPL adjustment will make no difference to the effect of the polarised sunglasses.

Adjusting the LCD screen through 90 degrees will solve the problem, LCD screens are supposed to be rotated so that they can be seen when wearing polarised sunglasses. Obviously mounting the camera at 90 degrees to normal is not an acceptable solution, but it would solve the problem!

I’m not suggesting he turns the unit thru 90deg, just the polarised filter. Try it. I did.

Back