Difference between connections

mickbit

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hello everyone.

I had a front and rear dash cam when the rear camera connects to a micro usb connection to the front camera. The front camera has broken down and I want to purchase a new one. I've seen a lot of front cameras on Amazon with the option of connecting a rear camera, but the connection is something that looks like a headphone connection. (2.5 or 3.5mm). My question is what is the technical difference between the two types of connections and whether there is any adapter so that I do not have to buy a rear camera.

Thanks.

Additional cameras that using a 2.5/3.5mm type plug connectors are low resolution (mostly VGA). The ones using micro/mini USB connectors are HD / FHD resolution.

Hello everyone.

I had a front and rear dash cam when the rear camera connects to a micro usb connection to the front camera. The front camera has broken down and I want to purchase a new one. I've seen a lot of front cameras on Amazon with the option of connecting a rear camera, but the connection is something that looks like a headphone connection. (2.5 or 3.5mm). My question is what is the technical difference between the two types of connections and whether there is any adapter so that I do not have to buy a rear camera.

Thanks.

You'd probably want to just buy a Front + Rear instead of trying to find a replacement front to work with your rear camera. Unless replacing the front camera with the same model, you could run into issues with compatibility.

You'd probably want to just buy a Front + Rear instead of trying to find a replacement front to work with your rear camera. Unless replacing the front camera with the same model, you could run into issues with compatibility.

Why should there be a compatibility issue? After all, it's just a camera. No? niko said the 2.5 / 3.5mm connection is usually to VGA. I searched Google a lot of adapter and didn't find it.

Why should there be a compatibility issue? After all, it's just a camera. No? niko said the 2.5 / 3.5mm connection is usually to VGA. I searched Google a lot of adapter and didn't find it.

I'm not sure I completely understand your intentions, but if I am correct, you have a rear camera that works and a front one that doesn't. Connections aren't the only issues here.

1. Software from one camera manufacturer to the next may not be the same. Meaning that just because you can hook the two together, doesn't guarantee it'll work properly or without freezing.

2. If your camera is older, why not just upgrade to a newer dash camera in general that comes with a front + rear? There are now 4K and 1080P cameras out. It sounds like your camera is older. Meaning, why recycle old technology.

3. If you are intent on keeping rear camera, then I suggest you replace the front one with the same brand. It'll maximize your chances of compatibility. But offers no guarantees.

You will probably have to get a new front camera exactly like the one that have died to make it work, i am not even sure it would work if you found another front camera but still the same brand as the dead one.
You also cant pair a SG front camera with a viofo or other brand rear camera, cuz these things are not standardized in any way.

You will probably have to get a new front camera exactly like the one that have died to make it work, i am not even sure it would work if you found another front camera but still the same brand as the dead one.
You also cant pair a SG front camera with a viofo or other brand rear camera, cuz these things are not standardized in any way.

Exactly.

thanks friends, I got the idea. Thank you very much. Probably I will buy a new one.

Back