Different packages with Mobius - which is the best? (Also SD card)

isdoo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking to maybe get a Mobius.

I have looked on Amazon and I can see various packages - https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00GPXYVQU for example.

is this all that I would require to mount it in the car?

I would need a microsd card - I believe you can use a 64GB one. Any particular make or type better than others?

I see there are 64gb SDHC and SDXC versions. Mind you the 128GB is only $78, but I do not believe this works?

Thanks.

Hi,

Looking to maybe get a Mobius.

I have looked on Amazon and I can see various packages - https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00GPXYVQU for example.

is this all that I would require to mount it in the car?

I would need a microsd card - I believe you can use a 64GB one. Any particular make or type better than others?

I see there are 64gb SDHC and SDXC versions. Mind you the 128GB is only $78, but I do not believe this works?

Thanks.
Yep that's a good one from a great seller. I would ask him to swap the suction cup mount for the adhesive mount.

Class 4 cards work great with this camera, so no need to buy the fastest. Kingston and Samsung work fine. I'm using a 32gb SanDisk. 64gb is the largest working card at the moment,which would give you about 8 hours of recording on a Normal Bitrate.

Thanks - I need a suction cup as I need to remove it. :)

But guess there is nothing extra from the Ultimate pack that the average person would need, which appears to be more for mounting on other items such as a bike.

Will check out the class 4 cards.

Thanks - I need a suction cup as I need to remove it. :)

But guess there is nothing extra from the Ultimate pack that the average person would need, which appears to be more for mounting on other items such as a bike.

Will check out the class 4 cards.
Keep in mind that with the 64gb card, you will need a small card extra for updating the firmware. It can not be done on the 64gb.

SDHC only goes up to 32GB, SDXC above that, if you see something labeled otherwise then be skeptical about the authenticity, the memory card link in my signature has some more reading on cards etc

considering it is about $26 for the memory card in the package for a 32 gb, just buy a 32gb separate.
I picked up a 32gb at costco for $30. They go on sale for $20. Amazon has a 32gb for $17-$25.

Good seller, highly recommend.

I went with the adhesive mount and used 3m dual lock (ezpass toll tags use it) on the mount and then the window. Stable and strong. I remove it when needed and dont have to worry if the suction cup comes crashing down.

I went with the regular car kit w/32gig and asked him to substitute the suction mount with the adhesive.

Since youll most likley be using loop mode (oldest stuff gets written over) you really dont need more then 32gigs. Unless you need to save everything for work (taxi, truck driver, etc), I would suggest buying another smaller card (kingston 8 or 16) to have in your car as a backup. Sometimes you may want to pull the card to make extra sure the footage isnt overwritten and pop in the extra card so you can continue on your journey with safe dash camy thoughts.

You may also want some amazon basic USB extension cables if you want to hide your wiring. I used a 9ft to 3(?)ft extension in front and needed a 9ft to 9.2(?)ft extension for the rear of my SUV.

Btw Ive used this seller twice now for both my front and rear cam and assesories and will use him in the future as well.

Thanks all.

My first use will be in a hire car. So maybe the suction is better. Will probably get the pads as well for my own car.

Going to order a triple converter for the lighter socket as I need my phone powered as well.

Will look at extension cables as well.

Thanks

I'm assuming that the adhesive mount is shorter than the suction mount?

Thanks all.

My first use will be in a hire car. So maybe the suction is better. Will probably get the pads as well for my own car.

Going to order a triple converter for the lighter socket as I need my phone powered as well.

Will look at extension cables as well.

Thanks
Just make sure each USB socket outputs at least 1A, which is required for the Mobius or just get a triple cigarette lighter adapter like this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3889593

Just make sure each USB socket outputs at least 1A, which is required for the Mobius or just get a triple cigarette lighter adapter like this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3889593

Hi, first time post here so please excuse my ignorance.

I am eagerly awaiting my first Mobius camera to be delivered in the next fortnight (Hopefully) and in the meantime trying to study up as much as possible on this device. Trouble being I am getting a memory overload. o_O

Seem to remember something about what you suggest above in that the output should be 1Amp. I presently have a 2 socket car lighter extension that has two USB ports but on checking they only have an output of 500mA.

Could this harm the camera? Or will it be okay for keeping it's battery topped up?

I currently use it for keeping a Google Nexus7 tablet charged up or should say did so before my HTC One M7 came along. Sure it never fully charged it but did give the devices battery a boost.

LOL To cut this long story short will the 500mA USB port be okay?

Thx :)

EDIT: Found my answer...
External USB Power and Premature Battery Failure Alert!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25675982&postcount=1230

:cool: Not such a problem I guess if I use one of these...
http://buymobius.com/collections/mobius-actioncam-accessories/products/5v-1-amp-usb-car-charger-1

Hopefully a local supplier as it would be handy to have it when the camera arrives. ;)

Last edited:
A dual slot adapter is useful, so you can simultaneously power Mobius & a Smartphone or GPS. Safest bet is one from Anker, Belkin, Scosche, etc. Interesting article...

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-car-charger/

Thanks! That was an interesting article.

Although it didn't answer my Dumb Question of the Day (Probably did and I missed it) which is...

Would it hurt the Mobius if it was connected to the 2amp USB port rather than the 1amp port? Especially given that the two car charger extension it will be running from more than likely loses some power (Wattage/amperage???) from its connection anyway.

I ended up buying this one from a local supplier and it should be here in a couple of days...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281033249883&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:AU:3160

:)

Would it hurt the Mobius if it was connected to the 2amp USB port rather than the 1amp port? Especially given that the two car charger extension it will be running from more than likely loses some power (Wattage/amperage???) from its connection anyway.:)
Sail, an electronic device such as a dash cam just needs a minimum amount of amps. The Mobius requires 1 Amp at a minimum for proper operation, it will only draw the amperage needed. For an example, you could have a 5 volt 10 amp charger and the Mobius would only draw (use) 1 amp of what is available.

Rick

Checked the mailbox on the way out to dinner last night to find my camera package had arrived from eletoponline along with another from local supplier of the dual slot adapter. (Wished our posties still blew a whistle when delivering mail) :)

I was surprised the camera took only a week to arrive from China. Well I guess it is Down Under so gravity probably helped.:rolleyes:

Anyway I have been doing my head in this morning trying to get this Win7 Pro 64bit laptop to recognise the camera. It initially did so but now can't so time for a coffee break whilst I try rebooting the laptop and maybe using DriveCleanup.exe to help solve it.:confused:

Standby I'll be back for sure with pleas for help.:D

PS:...and thanks eletoponline for the fast service. :cool:

Checked the mailbox on the way out to dinner last night to find my camera package had arrived from eletoponline along with another from local supplier of the dual slot adapter. (Wished our posties still blew a whistle when delivering mail) :)

I was surprised the camera took only a week to arrive from China. Well I guess it is Down Under so gravity probably helped.:rolleyes:

Anyway I have been doing my head in this morning trying to get this Win7 Pro 64bit laptop to recognise the camera. It initially did so but now can't so time for a coffee break whilst I try rebooting the laptop and maybe using DriveCleanup.exe to help solve it.:confused:

Standby I'll be back for sure with pleas for help.:D

PS:...and thanks eletoponline for the fast service. :cool:
Forgive my stupid question, you do have the card installed and the camera on?

Try another USB data cable, other than the short (data) cable it came with and plug in the camera before starting the computer. The short data cable it came with is known to be buggy. I use a cable that came with an external hard drive.

Forgive my stupid question, you do have the card installed and the camera on?

Try another USB data cable, other than the short (data) cable it came with and plug in the camera before starting the computer. The short data cable it came with is known to be buggy. I use a cable that came with an external hard drive.

Not a stupid question by any means. Although I did/do have the card installed and the camera on.

Just took a pause then to try one more time with this cable and Windows bought up a dialogue box saying there was a problem with the Mobius and do I want them to scan and fix the problem? (Or words to that effect) That seemed to fix it and the camera was then recognised again. Created a new profile and named it.

At this stage that is how I left it. Does that new Profile go to the camera automatically?

BUGGER! Unplugged it Hit Power, got a quick Blue light and 4 seconds later a solid Yellow light. No Recording light indication (I have set recording to Button in the Profile) and hitting the Power button turns the unit Off.

Now plugged it back in and can see the camera again. Green charging light on. What next pleeeeeease? :confused:

Back