Dimika v1.3 vs Innovv C1+C2 v06-20140109 vs Mobius B-lens v1.13 ( short test )

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
DISCLAIMER
Dashcameras participated in this side by side test were using firmware you see below.
NB! By the time you are reading this thread and watching video used here, developers of those dashcameras may have released a new improved firmwares.
Please refer to each developer sub-forum or website in order to see newer firmware release and their performance.

Top Left: Innovv C1 V06-20140109
Top Right: Innovv C2 V06-20140109
Bottom Left: Dimika v1.3
Bottom Right: Mobius B-lens v1.13

I have synchronized all 4 dashcam videos from the beginning of the video
Because of Dimika unusual overlap and variable frame rate, by the end of 2min video clip, there is a synchronization difference about 1-1.5 sec between Dimika and other dashcameras.

The biggest issue in Dimika is variable frame rate and "unusual" video clips overlap.
When I am making final cut ( putting together ) many different video clips from one source, I am using a Registrator Viewer, - this is the best and quickest software out there to "glue" together multiple video clips from one dashcamera.
Till now Registrator Viewer was able to cope with ALL dashcam videos that had fixed frame-rate and had "common" 1 sec ( or 0 sec ) overlap option.

Due to Dimika has "unusual" overlap and variable frame-rate video recording, - Registrator Viewer can not cope with "gluing" together correctly multiple Dimika video clips the way they would correspond and could be used to synchronize with other dashcameras video clips.

The only way to synchronize Dimika video clips with other dashcameras video clips is via pain-stake manual process, for example which takes me about 3-4 hours using AVS Video Editor just to correctly synchronize 15 min clip of Dimika vs other clips. I have to go almost trough every frame, to cut "unwanted" ones in order to keep up with synchronization, and so on. This is not any easy job and for sure not practical !

NB!
I want to remind: those Dimika audio-video issues exist with firmwares which is mentioned in review.
Please follow Dimika sub-forum on DCT or their website for new firmware releases, where there might be already an updated which solves those issues.

Individual videos

Download original / raw video files for all videos used in this test.

Technical and tag information about video and audio files from MediaInfo

Specs 2.jpg

Last edited:
I know you've been giving feedback and suggestions to Dimika about the product, did they have any response or reasoning as to why they use a variable frame rate, seems very unusual

I know you've been giving feedback and suggestions to Dimika about the product, did they have any response or reasoning as to why they use a variable frame rate, seems very unusual

Over month ago I pointed out issues related to synchronization ( variable frame rate & sound codecs ), but haven't got any reasonable response on this yet.
Hopefully they are still working around this issue and soon will take some actions.

just wondering did they have any reason why they went this way, I don't know of any advantage but perhaps they had a reason, not sure what it might be so interested in their response

Responce to the issue I discovered back then, I got this:
" The DIMIKA uses the variable frame rate solution. For your reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_frame_rate "
I am expecting @innotrends to replay here about the reason they are using a VBR and what advantage they see in this over the constant frame-rate.

Edited: my replay " ... they are using a VBR ", - typo. Should be VFR ( variable frame rate ), as about this was discussion @ " The DIMIKA uses the variable frame rate solution. For your reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_frame_rate "

Last edited:
understand what it is, just don't understand why they've used it, seems counterproductive for this type of product

just don't understand why they've used it, seems counter-productive for this type of product
100% agree.
Let's see what their explanations are. Maybe I am missing something ?

Responce to the issue I discovered back then, I got this:
" The DIMIKA uses the variable frame rate solution. For your reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_frame_rate "
I am expecting @innotrends to replay here about the reason they are using a VBR and what advantage they see in this over the constant frame-rate.

Seems like you guys mixing up the frame rate mode (VFR) and the bit rate mode (VBR).

The wiki link is maybe not a good example for VFR. Variable frame rates are used in most and latest high-end mobile devices and I can't see any reason why Mobius etc. are using constant frame rates?

Advantages of VFR:

Lower power consumption
Lower working temperature
Smaller file size
and last but not least more flexibility for low light recording.

So I think the DIMIKA choose the right way...

SAMSUNG GALAXY S4

Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom
File size : 18.2 MiB
Duration : 9s 173ms
Overall bit rate : 16.7 Mbps

----------------------------------------------------------
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Minimum frame rate : 24.807 fps
Maximum frame rate : 30.171 fps

-----------------------------------------------------------

IPHONE 5S

Format profile : QuickTime
Codec ID : qt
File size : 193 KiB
Duration : 1s 933ms
Overall bit rate : 820 Kbps
Model : iPhone 5s
Make : Apple

--------------------------------------------------------
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Minimum frame rate : 28.571 fps
Maximum frame rate : 30.000 fps

-----------------------------------------------------------

DIMIKA

Format profile : QuickTime
Codec ID : qt
File size : 57.1 MiB
Duration : 30s 781ms
Overall bit rate : 15.5 Mbps

-------------------------------------------------------------
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Minimum frame rate : 29.412 fps
Maximum frame rate : 30.303 fps

------------------------------------------------------------

if you want to record and playback on the same device it's ok, if you want to edit in most 3rd party programs it's not a good choice, I don't see any benefit for this device

if you want to record and playback on the same device it's ok, if you want to edit in most 3rd party programs it's not a good choice, I don't see any benefit for this device

Jokiin, that has nothing to do with playback. Problem for some video editors is the combination of different Frame Rate Modes. So you will have the same issue if you try to combine a CFR with VFR as you have if you try to combine VFR with CFR, right?

The advantages of variable frame rates again:

1. Lower power consumption
2. Lower working temperature
3. Smaller file size
4. and last but not least more flexibility for low light recording.

1-3 are the reason why it is used in mobile phones like Samsung and IPhone. Portable mini cameras have similar requirements as mobile phones (battery, small size, low weight etc.)

Seems like you guys mixing up the frame rate mode (VFR) and the bit rate mode (VBR).

I do understand differences of VBR and VFR and have not mixed up anything in my review ;)

The advantages of variable frame rates again:

1. Lower power consumption
2. Lower working temperature
3. Smaller file size
4. and last but not least more flexibility for low light recording.

Agree with you on this.

Jokiin, that has nothing to do with playback.

Agree, - nothing to do with playback, - thats what I have mentioned.

Problem for some video editors is the combination of different Frame Rate Modes. So you will have the same issue if you try to combine a CFR with VFR as you have if you try to combine VFR with CFR, right?

Correct, - that what I have also mentioned here and in some other tests. So there is no mixing up from my side ;)
I have clearly stated, that if you put together ( "glue" together ) videos with VFR, - they are NOT the same length as those videos which using CFR. This is fact and not only with Dimika. I have done same tests with Cowon AW1 as well which also uses VFR, - same result was there as well.

Summary:
- yes, you can edit VFR videos and put together them for side by side comparison, but ONLY if all videos are from same source, let's say all 4 dashcams would be 4 x DImikas, - then it would not be a problem with synchronization.
- if using side by side comparison with videos from different dashcameras where others have CFR, - there will be a synch problem.

I don't see any of the proposed benefits being of any use in this application being a multi purpose cam, only a negative, it's a nice looking product but I can't see it taking sales away from the competitor products

hmm what do you mean in post #5 with vbr?

@ #5 I agree with you, - it was my typo ( I have edited it ), thx for pointing out.
If you check #1, - there I clearly specified correctly all differences and issues related to VFR, so I do not mixing up VFR with CFR ;)

@ #5 I agree with you, - it was my typo ( I have edited it ), thx for pointing out.
If you check #1, - there I clearly specified correctly all differences and issues related to VFR, so I do not mixing up VFR with CFR ;)

It was just to make sure that everybody talking about the same...

Back