Disable automatic-shutdown on low voltage?

Corn

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey guys, I'm running my dash cam off a "portable" generator (battery). I want the dash cam to drain it fully as there's no worried about not being able to start the engine or whatever. The issue I've come across now is the dashcam has one of those built-in automatic shut off when low voltage is detected (failsafe im sure so that it wouldn't leave a dead car battery and you'd be stuck). The option it gives me for the lowest voltage is 11.9 V before it will auto shut off.

However, my portable battery still has about 40-50% charge left but the voltage reading dipped below 11.9 so the dashcam shuts off. From 100% to 60% charge the voltage reads usually around the 12.5 to 12.0 range. But when the portable battery has about 50% charge left, the voltage reads 11.9 or less. I want it to just continue to record as there is still a good amount of juice left in the battery!

Is there anyway to bypass this auto shut off? Maybe some sort of software setting I have to hack into to lower the 11.9 V auto shutoff to like 10 V? Once again, it's a portable battery so I want the dashcam to drain it fully and use all 100% of the power up so that I don't have to keep recharging the battery when only 50% has been used.

I'm in overseas right now so my dashcam is probably not anything you can get in North America/Europe. The brand is iMotiv IM-100b
http://gift.kyobobook.co.kr/ht/product/detail?barcode=2310006347220
http://gsearch.gmarket.co.kr/Listview/Search?keyword=im100b

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

what type of battery is it, if it's not a deep cycle battery it will die pretty quickly if you keep discharging it so much

It's this one:
http://www.goalzero.com/p/164/goal-zero-yeti-150-solar-generator

I only use it for weekends, while the weekdays I'll use my car battery. On a full charge, it records for over 12 hours using only about 50% charge so I'd only need to recharge it once a weekend. You may be right that it might kill the battery faster if I keep discharging it but I still want it to try and discharge it 100% instead of only at 50.

if it's an SLA battery you could kill it very quickly by discharging it fully, they're not designed for that, the low battery cutoff in the camera is not just about being able to start your car, it's also about not killing your battery

get a portable power brick that one uses to charge tablets, phones, etc. get two and swap them out. i do that with one of the cams in my ride. the brick states its 50 000 mah but that may not be true. however its been able to go 4 days continuous on one charge. i keep the screen off and have the cam in park mode so it does not record constantly.

this cam you use is pretty cool lookin' though ;) and it uses 330 mah at best so if you can get a converter to convert the cigar port to usb (many of these bricks output 12V) it may work.

this may be to much hoop jumping but worth a mention...

thanks for the replies. I guess i should just leave it and see it as prolonging the life of the battery. Yeah the brick power sources look great, but always have trouble finding the correct adapter cables to make it work (devices that are not tablets/smartphones).

Back