Disappointed with video quality

brett174

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Just had a 2 channel A139 installed and I'm a bit disappointed with the video quality. Not sure if my expectations where too high, but video seems pretty grainy. I am running it in 1440@60fps, extreme bit rate and with CPL filter attached.

I would be keen to hear what others think of the video sample I've uploaded

Seems similar to my experiences with A139 2ch + CPL filter. Watching motion video always shows a bit of grain, etc but paused frames look great. I was able to pause your video at multiple points and read full license plates (in the sun and shade). I could also read full signs pretty far off in the periphery as well. Try pausing it at various moments and you will see how good it is.

It is recommended that you use 30fps, not 60fps, and if you don't like grainy then use the maximum bitrate setting.

You can also use H264 instead of H265 to get a little extra bitrate, which may help, but is probably not going to be noticable.

Be sure you have removed the protective plastic from BOTH sides of the CPL.

Just had a 2 channel A139 installed and I'm a bit disappointed with the video quality. Not sure if my expectations where too high, but video seems pretty grainy. I am running it in 1440@60fps, extreme bit rate and with CPL filter attached.

I would be keen to hear what others think of the video sample I've uploaded
The video link is not valid now,
you shall submit videos to this link and create a ticket for support.

Be sure you have removed the protective plastic from BOTH sides of the CPL.
I tried this advice with mine, ended up smudging on the CPL filter as it doesn't have protective plastic on the inside. Unless you mean to take the protective plastic off the camera lens PLUS the outer of the CPL filter? Unless I'm drastically missing something....I can't see any inner protective plastic on the CPL filter.

I tried this advice with mine, ended up smudging on the CPL filter as it doesn't have protective plastic on the inside. Unless you mean to take the protective plastic off the camera lens PLUS the outer of the CPL filter? Unless I'm drastically missing something....I can't see any inner protective plastic on the CPL filter.
There should be protective plastic on both sides of the CPL. The camera lens will have its own protective cover. Maybe yours was missed during manufacture.

This may sound dumb but have you smudged the lens with fingerprints while installing? Very easy to accidentally bump the lens when installing a camera. So make sure it's clean. Also, CPL filters are meant to cut out on the glare by filtering light. Have you tried removing the CPL and seeing how the video is without to compare CPL + No CPL side by side?

There should be protective plastic on both sides of the CPL. The camera lens will have its own protective cover. Maybe yours was missed during manufacture.
Mine did not have plastic on both sides. I will double check but there was only plastic on the outside.

Mine did not have plastic on both sides. I will double check but there was only plastic on the outside.
The CPL for the A139 may be different, I'd have to check. The CPL for the A119 and A129 series has them on both sides.

My A139 did have protective plastic film on both sides of the CPL filter.

It is a fact some dashcams will go a bit noisy during low light, thats the camera trying too hard to give you bright footage. But really in my mind it is not that much of a problem as i am not looking for cinematic quality or little details in low light footage.
Granted ! i would prefer the system reigned in, so it wouldn't go to excess noise levels by using too high ISO values and putting entirely too much trust in a de noise feature which i think should be avoided if possible.

Back