Disappointed with Viofo for Abandoning A129 Duo Owners

Does your front cam drop frames?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

According to @gabilando77 yes. When using the front + rear camera in unison, the front randomly drops frames. Whereas the rear camera consistently duplicates frames every 92 FPS when using DUO MODE (Front + Rear).

Firmware Version (Beta) 1.11 doesnt suffer from the duplicate frame problem on the rear. He hasn't said much on the front. But I assume the front issue of random frame drops isn't present. But again, he doesn't use parking mode, so he can't comment on if that works or not.

Soon as I can get my hands on firmware version 1.5 (which is what I run now), I'll downgrade to 1.11 and test it out.

So your front camera randomly drops frames also with its current firmware?

So your front camera randomly drops frames also with its current firmware?

This is an issue that affects everyone with the A129 Duo. Random frame drop front / duplicate frames ear. The A129 Pro (new camera coming out) supposedly doesn't suffer from the issue at the time of writing.

Only solution for the A129 Duo is firmware 1.11. I want to try it but want to find v 1.5 in case features don't work on 1.11. As parking mode hasnt been tested.

How can it be affecting everyone, when almost nobody has noticed it?

I haven't had time to check, but I'm pretty sure one of my accident clips had a dropped frame on it. Noticed a glitchy spot. My A2 Extreme has never had any issue what so ever with the camera (causing camera to freeze, stopped recording, etc). So it would seem once I get time to verify this myself, the likely culprit is the camera's firmware

@gabilando77 stated these issues (dropped / dupe frames) are not present on the V 1.11. So that pretty much eliminates the cards.

Why didn't other notice? Well most people aren't watching their videos UNLESS there's an issue.. I would guess 95% of people don't bother with their dash cameras other than to ensure it's running and recording. Otherwise, it's a set it an forget it. These aren't home movies, so I doubt most people have good reason to watch driving videos on any regular basis.

I'd be inclined to look at the memory card as a likely culprit for dropped frames

Doubtful since gabilando reported there are neither dropped frames nor dupes on V 1.11. Leads one to believe the SDK is the culprit.

I remember reporting dropped frames a few days before returning the A129. The 128GB Evo Plus was transferred to my SG9665GC and it stopped working a few days later.

If someone can post firmware v 1.5... I'll beta test the hell out of 1.11. So that if 1.11 doesnt work out I can flash back

V1.5

Thanks! There might be one caveat to 1.11. I dont know if parking mode works with hardwire. It says on V 1.5 that 2 and 3 wire hardwire kit was added. Ill give 1.11 a test to see though and if it doesnt work with parking mode ill flash back to 1.5. Will do this tomorrow.

Well to report back, Firmware 1.11 is unacceptable for my uses. Having just flashed my camera, the only options in parking mode are 5, 10, 15 FPS. No low bitrate recording, which i absolutely will not do without. Since it captures 30 FPS, just at a lower quality. Other choices are insufficient.

Going to begrudgingly flash back to 1.5 and hope some day issue of Dupe Frames + Dropped frames gets resolved.

There are lots of owners waiting for that ONE DAY when Viofo get there Act together and provide us with Positive answers to our concerns!
I'm feeling more and more as the months just roll by I've bought a dead duck! Is it me!

Six months ago Parking Mode was an issue!

There are lots of owners waiting for that ONE DAY when Viofo get there Act together and provide us with Positive answers to our concerns!
I'm feeling more and more as the months just roll by I've bought a dead duck! Is it me!

Six months ago Parking Mode was an issue!

Viofo makes a good product. Their camera is very reliable and the layout is very intuitive. However, they are falling short on software support. Now, Viofo is not the responsible party it seems. Since the Dropped / Dupe frames resulted from a newer SDK. And that Viofo must await a newer SDk with hopes the issue getting resolved. But they have made it clear resolving this issue IS NOT a priority, because their new 4K is hitting the streets. Which is a general "**** YOU" to all the existing customers.

Last edited:
Viofo makes a good product. Their camera is very reliable and the layout is very intuitive. However, they are falling short on software support. Now, Viofo is not the responsible part it seems. Since the Dropped / Dupe frames resulted from a newer SDK. And that they must await a newer SDk with hopes the issue is resolved. But they have made it clear resolving this issue IS NOT a priority, because their new 4K is hitting the streets. Which is a general "**** YOU" to all the existing customers.
I'm sure that is not the case, partly because the new 4K Pro version is not a replacement for the standard model, and I imagine that given the extra cost of the Pro, most sales will still be for the standard model. They are both current models and will have the same priority for improvements. The real issue is, as you say, with the processor SDK, and since the processor for the Pro is a new processor, currently with low sales volume, and the processor for the standard model is a processor with large sales volume, I would expect the processor manufacturer to be prioritising the older one for support issues, especially when the same issues are in multiple models due to shared code. The duplicate frame issue seems to only be in the standard model, but for other issues it is quite likely that updated SDKs will arrive at around the same time due to shared code, in which case there would be no priority given to either model.

I'm sure that is not the case, partly because the new 4K Pro version is not a replacement for the standard model, and I imagine that given the extra cost of the Pro, most sales will still be for the standard model. They are both current models and will have the same priority for improvements. The real issue is, as you say, with the processor SDK, and since the processor for the Pro is a new processor, currently with low sales volume, and the processor for the standard model is a processor with large sales volume, I would expect the processor manufacturer to be prioritising the older one for support issues, especially when the same issues are in multiple models due to shared code. The duplicate frame issue seems to only be in the standard model, but for other issues it is quite likely that updated SDKs will arrive at around the same time due to shared code, in which case there would be no priority given to either model.

Yes and no. The current Viofo Pro is $249.99. The A129 duo is $160 give or take. The issue arises that the A129 Duo is an older model from a technology standpoint. It's like a 2019 vehicle being sold after the 2020's roll out. While the dealership will still sell the 2019s, the marketing budget goes towards clearing the 2019s off the lot and supporting the 2020s.

Viofo stated here this wasn't a priority to resolve the A129 Duo issues. At present, the A129 Pro doesn't suffer from dropped and dupe frames. The issue remains, and as you pointed out, that may not remain true in the foreseeable future. Especially if there's shared code between the SDKs. The problematic code could enter the A129 Pro at any time if the cause isn't isolated.

However, that doesn't seem to be of importance at the moment. At least according to Bill Zhou's reply

The issue arises that the A129 Duo is an older model from a technology standpoint. It's like a 2019 vehicle being sold after the 2020's roll out. While the dealership will still sell the 2019s, the marketing budget goes towards clearing the 2019s off the lot and supporting the 2020s.
Disagree, they are the same vehicle, the A129, just that the expensive version is fitted with the supercharged V12 engine. Most people will still buy the cheaper and perfectly adequate version, although the Pro is definitely good value for what you get. Quite possibly with the Pro leading the dashcam field for image quality it will increase sales of the standard version and so it is important to sort issues with both.

This duplicate frame issue on rear camera must be fixed. Once you see it and realize what it looks like, you no longer can't ignore it. There is like a constant beat to the video where there is ever so short jerk every couple of seconds. And goes on and on and on. It's annoying and looks cheap, except the camera is far from cheap.

This duplicate frame issue on rear camera must be fixed. Once you see it and realize what it looks like, you no longer can't ignore it. There is like a constant beat to the video where there is ever so short jerk every couple of seconds. And goes on and on and on. It's annoying and looks cheap, except the camera is far from cheap.

You are right that the duplicate frame issue needs to be fixed....and so does the "g-sensor in parking mode". There are in fact numerous problems that need to be fixed with the Viofo A129. Here's a thread that summarizes "other problems" with the A129.

Unforttunately for us A129 buyers, our product has already been sold and the profit has already been made for Viofo. - - Right now, Viofo's priority is on creating "new revenue" from their new product(s). - - Btw, some of the existing problems with the A129 have been ongoing for 8 months now!!! Yet you'll be told by some posters here to "just "be patient"...lol - - Good luck with that!

Back