Disappointed with Viofo for Abandoning A129 Duo Owners

they have their own team, they aren't fully reliant on Novatek, to be fair they are miles better than 99% of Chinese brands, cut them some slack though, it's not easy, it's time consuming, and they have some language barriers to deal with that can make communicating things effectively a challenge

Understood. And I do realize Asian Countries often have a difficulty grasping English. Problem along the same lines as Indian Tech support which most companies waste money upon and somehow believe problems are actually solved.

Last edited:
I can tell you they are still actively working on existing models, just because new models are happening doesn't change things, as we do, they would be working on multiple models concurrently

It's like selling a Porsche and claiming the car goes from 0 to 60 (0 to 96 KM/H) in 3 seconds flat. Only for the car to skip a gear and stall if accelerating to fast.
Of course decent companies will quote the 0 to 100Km/h time, which is actually 0-62 MPH, using the 0-60 time is cheating!

I absolutely love my Viofo. It's a rock solid camera that captured a kid hitting my car and saved me lots of headache.
I really LOVE this camera
Great to see such enthusiasm for Viofo cameras, I guess that is why you make so many posts here in the Viofo sub-forum :)

I understand it's frustrating to have something you have purchased not do something you hoped it would. I don't know about where you live, but around where I live, we return it and buy something that will do what we want.

Not that easy with Amazon after a month!
Most of the sellers will push you back to the manufacturer to get things sorted under warranty

Viofo has two very serious problems and Bill Zhou (not jokin) stated it wasn't a priority to fix:

1. Random Dropped Frames (Front Camera)
2. Duplicate Frames ( Every 91-91 Frames) on Rear Camera.

There are other issues that no one seems to have figured out:
  • G-sensor sensitivity
  • Buffered parking mode randomly stops writing to the sd-card (happens on both my units and there is a thread discussing it)
  • Random beeps and double beeps resulting in loss footage

Of course decent companies will quote the 0 to 100Km/h time, which is actually 0-62 MPH, using the 0-60 time is cheating!

Great to see such enthusiasm for Viofo cameras, I guess that is why you make so many posts here in the Viofo sub-forum :)

The overall point is you've got a great product with some serious flaws. So those who like the product, including me, want them fixed. Otherwise, we're left with that shiny sports car that shows well, but makes it hard to brag about!

The overall point is you've got a great product with some serious flaws. So those who like the product, including me, want them fixed. Otherwise, we're left with that shiny sports car that shows well, but makes it hard to brag about!
Proper sports cars have plenty of flaws, it is part of what makes them special, it is only in recent years that so called sports cars have become reasonably reliable, and that is because most of them aren't proper sports cars any more!

Of course we all want the dashcam flaws fixed, and some are more urgent than others. And yes, there are a few in the A129 that have been there rather a long time, some of them because nobody noticed them for ages! Viofo is right that the odd duplicate frame is not urgent, especially when it is so predictable that it can be filtered out to produce a perfect video, but that doesn't mean that it isn't being fixed for the next firmware update, or that the next firmware update isn't still planned for October. Maybe it will be late, we will have to wait and see, but I am confident that it will arrive, the A129 Duo is still a current product, and Viofo do update their current products when SDK updates arrive, unlike most manufacturers.

Of course we all want the dashcam flaws fixed... And yes, there are a few in the A129 that have been there rather a long time...

That's an understatement!!! - - And one of them is the "primary reason" many users bought the A129 Dash Cam in the first place: G-Sensor detection in Parking Mode. This has been a problem since February. Pretty soon we'll be coming up on it's one-year anniversary!!! :)

And it's great to see such honesty about Viofo's A129 problems! I guess having so many problems for so long is why there are so many posts and so many threads here on this Viofo sub-forum.

Maybe it will be late, we will have to wait and see

You can take your "Maybe it will be late" comment to the bank...that's an "absolute certainty"! - - As everyone knows, Viofo has been giving priority to their new products!!! - - They really don't have time to respond to the likes of Valkyrie and others with their annoying little problems nor give any priority at all to current A129 Duo users.

So yes, "we will have to wait and see" like we have already been doing for months!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Proper sports cars have plenty of flaws, it is part of what makes them special, it is only in recent years that so called sports cars have become reasonably reliable, and that is because most of them aren't proper sports cars any more!

Of course we all want the dashcam flaws fixed, and some are more urgent than others. And yes, there are a few in the A129 that have been there rather a long time, some of them because nobody noticed them for ages! Viofo is right that the odd duplicate frame is not urgent, especially when it is so predictable that it can be filtered out to produce a perfect video, but that doesn't mean that it isn't being fixed for the next firmware update, or that the next firmware update isn't still planned for October. Maybe it will be late, we will have to wait and see, but I am confident that it will arrive, the A129 Duo is still a current product, and Viofo do update their current products when SDK updates arrive, unlike most manufacturers.

Random dropped frames on the front camera isn't as easily rectified nor easily dismissed. Losing frames could be the difference between capturing an event and missing important details.

Has there been others with this problem that happens randomly?
good point, always need to confirm others have the issue as well before denouncing it as a system wide bug, could be a hardware/memory card issue for a specific user

good point, always need to confirm others have the issue as well before denouncing it as a system wide bug, could be a hardware/memory card issue for a specific user
It happened randomly with 3 brand new cards(Viofo and Samsung Evo Plus U3),is not card issue..It happened with stock and moded firmware..Is not happening anymore with v1.11 both front and rear are fine now with this firmware.

Is not happening anymore with v1.11 both front and rear are fine now with this firmware.
Someone should tell the moaners that they don't need to complain about that one any more.
The amount of complaining they do about it, you would of thought they would have noticed the huge improvement on it being fixed!

I'm still trying to find out where the random dropped frames from the front camera became an issue with all the A129s? I don't see it on any of my videos, and I've only found where gabilondo77 reported it in the duplicate/jumping frames post https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...on-rear-camera-firmware-bug-discovered.39612/

Has there been others with this problem that happens randomly?

Same here, i haven't noticed duplicate frames at all not sure what firmware i am running, whatever was the latest 6 or so months ago,

I confirm the duplicate frames on mine, but I don't see it as a big issue. Dropped frames however, are unacceptable, but I have yet to see them. My only concerns are about buffered parking mode. I hope they will be fixed.

I’ll have to pull some footage from my a129 to see if anything is out of the ordinary and join in on the discussion. I just installed my a129 as a dedicated rear facing camera updates to the latest firmware and it seems to be working great so far. Although, it’s only powered on when the vehicle is running. I do not have the camera hardwired nor do I have it plugged into an external battery pack.

I’ll have to pull some footage from my a129 to see if anything is out of the ordinary and join in on the discussion. I just installed my a129 as a dedicated rear facing camera updates to the latest firmware and it seems to be working great so far. Although, it’s only powered on when the vehicle is running. I do not have the camera hardwired nor do I have it plugged into an external battery pack.

All A129 Duo Cameras suffer from the duplicate frames. This has been confirmed by everyone here. Only firmware 1.11 is unaffected, but that firmware doesn't support park mode. So a nonstarter for anyone wanting their vehicle protected while parked.

@gabilondo77 has pointed out the front camera randomly drops frames. I believe he is accurate because I've noticed a glitch here and there in the accident video I reviewed of my fender bender. But I haven't verified using virtual dub 2.

All A129 Duo Cameras suffer from the duplicate frames. This has been confirmed by everyone here. Only firmware 1.11 is unaffected, but that firmware doesn't support park mode. So a nonstarter for anyone wanting their vehicle protected while parked.

@gabilondo77 has pointed out the front camera randomly drops frames. I believe he is accurate because I've noticed a glitch here and there in the accident video I reviewed of my fender bender. But I haven't verified using virtual dub 2.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I’ll be swapping my a129 for my sg9663 as a rear camera.

I believe
Belief is often not accurate, we want proof, and if the issue is actually serious then it should be easy to obtain proof!

Instead we have lots of claims of dropped frames based on a single person's experience from a long time ago. Not saying he was wrong, but where is the proof that there is currently an issue?

A single dropped or duplicated frame occasionally is as likely to be an issue as getting struck by lightening is. Not that it cannot happen- just that it's so rare that it's almost not worth thinking about. If it regularly happened every few seconds or for several frames then I'd be more concerned about it.

As a watcher of many car crash videos, I've seen every possible flaw in dashcam footage. More than a few (mostly cheaper or older) cams do have very intermittent video but I've never actually noticed a dropped or duplicated frame in the tens of thousands of clips I've seen. No dashcam is perfect or ever will be, and anyone who expects such perfection from what is essentially a cheap consumer-grade device is going to be disappointed with nearly everything in life, and rightly so.

Phil

Belief is often not accurate, we want proof, and if the issue is actually serious then it should be easy to obtain proof!

Instead we have lots of claims of dropped frames based on a single person's experience from a long time ago. Not saying he was wrong, but where is the proof that there is currently an issue?

When i get some time, I am going to check my accident video. There's a stutter in the video which could very well be the issue @gabilondo77 described.

Back