Disappointing 612GW

@Kremmen - I might have to try the same thing, i'm just worried dropping the exposure will make the darker filming more dark!

Here's a screenshot from the RAW footage. As you can see the grain is terrible and you can't even make out the car reg on the left. The magnifying glass on the right to show the level of detail missing.

http://www.uavpilot.co.uk/dashcam/2018-02-22_12-18-42.png

A variety of raw 4K shots can be found here:
http://www.uavpilot.co.uk/dashcam/RAW/

I'm not impressed i have to say! I'm almost considering returning this unit as for a 4K camera it's not good. That and the mount issue makes it terrible - we shouldn't be sticking blue-tack to these things to get acceptable results.

Kev

I don't go out after dark now, no need, so the -1 is just for daytime.

In fact I don't do many miles these days. 1000 miles last year and not used the car since October, until this week. When I do though I'm dashcammed.

Im getting that way! once i get in i just wanna crack open the drinks lol

During the nicer months I do go out verifying speed cameras for another site and this is where the cam comes into it's own with GPS location as I drive past reported sites.
No need for pen & paper or a good memory, just replay the footage when I get back.
Just a shame the GPS isn't in or have an option for degrees decimal like the early 312's as that's what the database is in.

What you're experiencing isn't due to the mounting @kev_wilts

Thank you for the extra files: the one marked wobble, isn't wobbling?

Hi Tiffany

The stationary wobble has gone by the clips i've seen. If you watch from 0:22 you will see the mount wobble which i was referring to :)

@Kremmen - I feel ya! the Coordianates are a bugger to decipher unless you convert them! I had a script somewhere that did it but can't find the code now!

The speed camera site has a converter, I just have to do them one at a time.

The max I'm likely to do in a day is 10 so no real issue, just a nice to have.

Back on topic .....

Ah yes understood - Yes I'm just downloading the night time one.

Have a look at the clip below for the wobbling example

The clip show it from about 00:24 to 00:45 but you can make it out when on the move too

Blimey is that 4K?
I would honestly recommend you try the Vico MF3. Cost me £79! Each plus I needed to buy new usb cables
Vastly superior clarity ... could you get a number plate off that?

and maybe its late and my eyes are tired, but that video made me feel a bit sea sick watching it.

OK mine is only 2560x1440p with a merged 30 & 60 fps HDR. Admittedly slightly harsher ...But it is infinitely better at identifying vehicles.
Thats almost as soft as the video for face regeneration creme trying to make Helen Mirren look 25 again.

I can only assume the video hosting compression has ruined the playback.

Last edited:
hi @Submariner Gold ! exactly my point - it was a horrible experience but the latest firmware seems to have rectified it. Yes that is probably compressed courtesy of Youtube. If you have a look a few posts back you can see some raw footage i uploaded.

It's not great in 4k that's for sure, but hopefully Nextbase will look into it a bit more as dusk/night is just terrible at the moment. Credit where due it's actually not too bad during decent light but it's still got exposure issues as stated in previous posts.

I will have a look at at the Vico!

Cheers!
Kev

You've got me ?
West London here

Dear all,

Go easy as this is my first post ;)

I've recently upgraded to a Nextbase 612 after having used a Transcend Drive Pro 200 for several years.

I initially struggled with the wobble which was mentioned by several other folk, but could appreciate that the weight of the dash cam may well be a contributory factor.

I did some tests using the 'bluetack' solution and found it worked a treat.

Once I was totally happy with the position of the adhesive permanent mount on the screen and the position of the camera I decided to make things permanent using a packet of Black Sugru.

Had to give it a couple of days to fully cure (as the ambient temperature has been so low for the last few days) but I pleased to be able to report that the dash cam, and the recordings from it, are as steady as a rock now.

I've attached a couple of pictures - I'm no expert in moulding but I'm content with the results.

Hope this helps anyone who is considering this modification.
sugru612b.jpgsugru612a.jpg

Dear all,

I've recently upgraded to a Nextbase 612 after having used a Transcend Drive Pro 200 for several years.

I initially struggled with the wobble which was mentioned by several other folk, but could appreciate that the weight of the dash cam may well be a contributory factor.

Once I was totally happy with the position of the adhesive permanent mount on the screen and the position of the camera I decided to make things permanent using a packet of Black Sugru.

Had to give it a couple of days to fully cure (as the ambient temperature has been so low for the last few days) but I pleased to be able to report that the dash cam, and the recordings from it, are as steady as a rock now.

I've attached a couple of pictures - I'm no expert in moulding but I'm content with the results.

View attachment 37092View attachment 37093

Pretty poor show, you pay premium money and then have to bodge it up with glue!
Shame on them. ...

Dear all,

View attachment 37092View attachment 37093
Hi,

Ah right OK if that is the best for your particular vehicle then leave it there. The sticky mount is usually better.

That wobble when you're sat at the lights is the frequency of your engine at tick over revs matching the natural frequency of the dash cam.

The dash cam isn't moving on the mount at this time, it doesn't happen when you're driving around just when stationary and it may not happen on another vehicle.

Can you let me know if the night time improves with the new firmware?

You're welcome.
Hi, My first post , hope I've done it right.

Re - Wobbly video issue, I have a Diesel car and experienced the same as others have done.

Frequency of engine I very much doubt.

I have done the same as others on the forum by modifying the weak mount, only I used Rapid Araldite.

I have perfectly still video both stationary and on the move now.

There is a problem that needs to be addressed by Nextbase I think.

I have a 512GW also that didn't have this problem.

Cheers, Kohakoo

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Alarm man 612GW 25
D 612GW 9
L 612GW 12
megamih 612GW 20
Rickn55 612GW 7
Back