Disappointing 612GW

Then I think you might struggle to find one that does what you want. I'm pretty sure that they all record short clips.
If you want continuous video, then get a video camera. Simples.
Horses for courses etc.
And please stop shouting. It doesn't help things and makes text less easy to read,
All I want is when I press emergency button to save file it must be saved full 1/2 or 3 minutes depending on settings not just 30 seconds.

that is not large files
So why it saves only 30 seconds and is it so hard to change software to save 1/2/3 minutes of video? Support said that is not software bug ( I'm agree with that) and no need to pass this information to software development team( I'm not agree .). I'm not alone who want save 1/2/3 minutes instead of 30 seconds.

that's how it will be programmed, it's a choice, not a hardware limitation
If you have minimum two options that's choice. There is no options , only saves 30 seconds. That means there is no choice and this is software limitation. This information must be printed on the box in capitals.

If you have minimum two options that's choice. There is no options , only saves 30 seconds. That means there is no choice and this is software limitation. This information must be printed on the box in capitals.

it's a choice, I didn't say it was your choice

I'm not alone who want save 1/2/3 minutes instead of 30 seconds.

Who else do you know (here) that wants more than 30 seconds?

I can't think of any dashcam that saves for 1/2/3 minutes. Can you give an example of one that does?

I can't think of any dashcam that saves for 1/2/3 minutes. Can you give an example of one that does?
The Viofo cameras will save the entire current clip and sometimes the entire clip before or after, depending on when the button is pressed.

The Viofo cameras will save the entire current clip and sometimes the entire clip before or after, depending on when the button is pressed.

That then is if you have the files recording to said longer lengths?

I 'upgraded' my front dashcam from a 512G to the 612GW and was very used to the fact that if I hit the save button, the entire current clip got saved - 3 minutes I think. Same thing with the prestigio 565GPS that is my rear camera. I very much liked that the whole clip is saved and flagged. I found this thread in my search for the setting to do this and am dumbfounded that it isnt an option.

Considering the device comes out of the box saving 2 versions of the same video im not buying the saving space argument, I would prefer to keep the entire current clip if choose to hit the button - For 2 reasons.

1.Insurance companies often like to see a full lead up to an event
2. reporting a driver for going the wrong way around a roundabout required providing more than the 30 second clip saved. The police ideally want 2 minutes before and 2 minutes after.

lastly, even if they keep the 30 second timing - its the wrong way around. The camera should save 20 seconds prior and 10 seconds after. Generally people take a few seconds to react to an event before pressing the button, nobody is pressing the button before an even happens so more time should be saved before the trigger.

If the 'video evidence' is that important, then slip out the SD card and insert the spare card that you always carry to satisfy the requirement for one in these circumstances. You then have loads of video prior to the event and as much after as you want.

If the 'video evidence' is that important, then slip out the SD card and insert the spare card that you always carry to satisfy the requirement for one in these circumstances. You then have loads of video prior to the event and as much after as you want.
Isnt that kinda defeating the point of the button at all... If every time something happens I have to pull over, change cards and continue on...

You asked for examples of cameras that do and people that would like the option - You got both. Frankly its odd that they did remove the feature for a much less useful one.

Isnt that kinda defeating the point of the button at all
Yes, of course it is. It seems that some manufacturers/software developers don't seem to fully analyse the uses to which their devices may be put. It's blazingly obvious that you want to save a chunk of video both before and after.an event.
Tip, if you are involved in a coming together and get out of the car to have words, leave the door open so that what was said is recorded (with any luck).
.. If every time something happens I have to pull over, change cards and continue on...
Yep. Stupid idea, but.........
You asked for examples of cameras that do
No I didn't.:unsure::D

I'm confused.

All my Nextbase dashcams have recorded a complete journey from start to finish. I'm currently running a 128Gb card, which is probably overkill for some, but it gives me up to 8 hours recording.

I did have course last year to upload some video of an idiot undertaking at speed but it was just a case of finding the particular 3 minutes clips. Joining them using Replay3 as the event spanned 2, then uploading to Sussex Police.

I had no need to go prodding buttons to save a special video as I knew it was being saved anyway.

I think that the main cut and thrust of this thread is that the 'Save Event' button is about as much use as tits on a fish for those who want to use it. :eek:
This is sort of similar to the parking mode on some cams that gives you a nice video of the perpetrator driving away after the event. Almost pointless, other than to perhaps find out 'who did it' rather than 'what happened'.

I'm confused.

All my Nextbase dashcams have recorded a complete journey from start to finish. I'm currently running a 128Gb card, which is probably overkill for some, but it gives me up to 8 hours recording.

I did have course last year to upload some video of an idiot undertaking at speed but it was just a case of finding the particular 3 minutes clips. Joining them using Replay3 as the event spanned 2, then uploading to Sussex Police.

I had no need to go prodding buttons to save a special video as I knew it was being saved anyway.

no need to be confused, up until recently I was only using a 64GB card, that has changed now to a 128GB too - and it is not unusual for me to have to drive for 4-6 hours in a day - couple that with the fact that people can forget to take the card out, drive to work the next day and boom, footage is overwritten.

All my previous dashcams had saved the entire segment when the button was pressed - this 30 second nonsense was an unwelcome surprise. In parking mode I get it, but not on a user activation. I stand by the comment that if, when something happens you have to think about taking out the card - the button has become pointless.

I believe it would be a simple FW update to return this feature, but since (admittedly only recently) I have been looking around it seems that Nextbase are not interested in the feedback.

I have seen comments relating to video quality also, compared the 612GW and the 512G on a journey and the 612GW is better, but the 4K description is being used in a marketing Guff sense here. The quality increase is not from 1080 to 4K and they know that. Its better enough for me to be happyish for now, but probably my last NB purchase.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Alarm man 612GW 25
D 612GW 9
L 612GW 12
megamih 612GW 20
Rickn55 612GW 7
Back