Disappointing low light footage

Wonderbadger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've been using this dashcam for a month and am finding the low light performance to be pretty poor. This isn't in complete darkness where all cameras will struggle with capturing detail and number plates, but in dusk/dawn situations where I have my headlights on. I've run a side-by-side comparison against my old Transcend 220 and the Transcend gets a lot more detail whereas the Yi blows out a lot of the highlights, completely obliterating plates and other details which the Transcend picks up no problem. Am I missing something here or does the Yi just not perform that well in these situations? I'm also getting lot of noise being transmitted from mount to the camera which although isn't critical seems like a poor piece of design.

Hi, I've been using this dashcam for a month and am finding the low light performance to be pretty poor. This isn't in complete darkness where all cameras will struggle with capturing detail and number plates, but in dusk/dawn situations where I have my headlights on. I've run a side-by-side comparison against my old Transcend 220 and the Transcend gets a lot more detail whereas the Yi blows out a lot of the highlights, completely obliterating plates and other details which the Transcend picks up no problem. Am I missing something here or does the Yi just not perform that well in these situations? I'm also getting lot of noise being transmitted from mount to the camera which although isn't critical seems like a poor piece of design.
Yes I agree... I have been using for only a few weeks now and found the same thing.....

I have been used to a DOD LS360W which did really well at low light/night time. This has an aperture size of F1.6.... This YI camera is F1.9.... So I'm presuming the smaller aperture size has something to do with it..

I've got the option of sending the Yi back which is likely to be what happens - I think the issue is is around processing of the image rather than the light entering the lense, my older camera is f1.8 so shouldn't be a massive difference, it just seems that it changes the contrast too much in low light conditions and ruins the image. It's a shame as I like the camera and app other than that.

I did think about returning it too but since it was cheap enough I decided to keep it around and see if it gets any better with future firmware updates...

Back