Disappointing Quality

Necromancer

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I just got the cam a few days back, maybe i'm missing something in the settings?
This camera seems disappointing in quality, running 2K @ 30 FPS max bit rate (30MB/s) using 2.4 soviet firmware
The colors and details are all washed up compared to my 8 year old 1080p dashcam.

Any suggestions to improve quality?

Have you tried the original firmware at 30 fps without HDR?
Max bitrate but all other standard settings

Last edited:
The colors and details are all washed up compared to my 8 year old 1080p dashcam.
I think that is how the creator of that firmware likes it ;)
You may find the original firmware better, but it will still not be as high contrast as your old camera, that is intentional so that it can record detail in the shadows.

I just got the cam a few days back, maybe i'm missing something in the settings?
This camera seems disappointing in quality, running 2K @ 30 FPS max bit rate (30MB/s) using 2.4 soviet firmware

Any suggestions to improve quality?

The shmuck in the silver station wagon........

Maybe try adjusting contrast and color settings to see if you can brighten up the picture some. The A119 V3 definitely seems more washed out than your other dash cam.

Off Topic: That image you in the IDF?

I'm surprised that someone has bought a new to them dashcam and gone straight in with a third party firmware.

The third party firmware, as I understand, is to help night time footage and boost clarity in those conditions.

From my limited experience i figured custom firmware would be better.
I used to buy phones and flush 'em with custom rom the same day, why waste time on all the first-time configuration only to do it a 2nd time?
Had to stop cus most manufacturers don't allow rooting anymore, or more complicated. Ahh CWM/TWRP ...

Anyway flushed the official rom dis mornin, i'll check it evenin.

@HonestReview aye, more then a decade ago.

understand your thinking on the phone, config you need to do on a camera though is very minimal, always best to start with the stock firmware, see how it suits, run it for a bit, make sure it's stable etc, then see what the custom versions offer, keeping in mind the custom firmwares are not a community project, for the most part they're largely adjusted to the tastes of whoever is doing all the work, some people like them, some don't, you can always change back either way very easily if they don't meet your expectations

Last edited:
From my limited experience i figured custom firmware would be better.
In some ways it is better, but it is customised for an individual, while the official firmware is a compromise intended for everyone. So I think most people are going to be happier with the official firmware. Some people would prefer many of the adjustments to be customised in the opposite direction!

It is wrong to assume that because your old camera looks better at first sight, it is actually better at recording evidence, both the official and customised firmwares are configured for recording evidence, not for best "movie quality".

both the official and customised firmwares are configured for recording evidence, not for best "movie quality".
And then complain about product performance as though it's somehow the fault of the camera. :confused:
I don't care about "movie quality", i care about catching the details.
I put on the official 2.4 firmware today. colors are good, compression is still the same.

Im actually surprised im the first one to point it out this camera is pretty poor.
It seems worse at details and license plates then the old mobius #1 camera, and taking into account it records at 50% higher bitrate too.

Even though its a real hassle for me i'll try to make another side-by-side comparison.

I don't care about "movie quality", i care about catching the details.
I put on the official 2.4 firmware today. colors are good, compression is still the same.

Im actually surprised im the first one to point it out this camera is pretty poor.
It seems worse at details and license plates then the old mobius #1 camera, and taking into account it records at 50% higher bitrate too.

Even though its a real hassle for me i'll try to make another side-by-side comparison.

Camera set to Maximum Bitrate? Tried adjusting color settings?

It has 2x the resolution, 50% higher bitrate for 100% extra resolution could look worse if you assessed it on a pixel basis.
It is also significantly better in darker conditions due to a more sensitive sensor.

How do you adjust the colors of Viofo cameras?
I guess you could fit the CPL filter, I think it the standard firmware is configured for best colour and contrast when using the CPL, so if you don't use one then that might explain part of your issue...

Okay, but that doesn't mean you can adjust the colors

Googling the A119 V3, no other videos appear to be as washed out as @Necromancer. So wondering if color adjustment is possible with contrast, etc settings, or if once he flashes back to stock, the picture returns back to "normal". If not, them maybe a faulty unit?

It has 2x the resolution, 50% higher bitrate for 100% extra resolution could look worse if you assessed it on a pixel basis.
It is also significantly better in darker conditions due to a more sensitive sensor.
i look at it on my 1080 monitor, and can't see license plates (or tree branches for that matter) when its still readable on the mobius.
Same bitrate on 1080p or 2K should provide the same detail when watched over the same resolution. The fact it records 50% higher bitrate and gives less detail is unexpected and disappointing. not factoring its a much newer camera with supposed to be better lens and chips.

ofc im running it on max bitrate, 30Mb/s 2K@30FPS.

Googling the A119 V3, no other videos appear to be as washed out as @Necromancer. So wondering if color adjustment is possible with contrast, etc settings, or if once he flashes back to stock, the picture returns back to "normal". If not, them maybe a faulty unit?

Maybe you missed it, but i wrote the colors are fine on the stock firmware.

even at the video you linked, check out the tree lines, they also dissolve into "clouds", this is aggressive compression and loss of detail more then the old mobius.

Last edited:
Maybe you missed it, but i wrote the colors are fine on the stock firmware.

even at the video you linked, check out the tree lines, they also dissolve into "clouds", this is aggressive compression and loss of detail more then the old mobius.

Set the resolution to 2160p and watch the bottom video. Looks very crisp to me???

Back