Discontinuation of 1 series dashcams

Optical Image Stabilisation would solve a lot of problems. Like decent cameras and even mobile phones have had for some years.

I'd have thought given the vibration cars produce OIS would be a huge benefit

I'd have thought given the vibration cars produce OIS would be a huge benefit

if a camera is mounted correctly it moves in sync with the vibrations and OIS is not needed, it will actually make things worse as it ends up moving out of sync with the vibrations of the vehicle

But the vehicle vibrations are not 'in sync' with the word outside, so vibration blur ensues on the outside world due to the camera vibration even if it is 'in sync' with the car. You don't appear to have thought that one through jokiin.:D

But the vehicle vibrations are not 'in sync' with the word outside, so vibration blur ensues on the outside world due to the camera vibration even if it is 'in sync' with the car. You don't appear to have thought that one through jokiin.:D

it's not about what has been thought about, it's about what has been tried, a solid mount beats OIS for our particular application

Ah yes. Agreed. :love: Because a car, being 'mass damped', does not vibrate anywhere near as much as a badly mounted cam with little mass to do the vibration 'damping'.

What about a solid mount with OIS to assist. Under those conditions, if it's a good OIS surely .....

OK

Anyway, I hope the new range is available before March/April as I have some mileage to do next year and a 1400@30 or 1080@60 with a dedicated CPL is needed.

Don't get me wrong, the 380 is good, but I needed to get the reg No of a car being driven dangerously that undertook me, in daytime with good light, and I had difficulty reading it, even in freeze frame. And it wasn't coming at me in the other direction but was probably only doing 20mph more than me.
When I looked at similar speed (legal) overtaking on my 412, on smooth motorways, the reg numbers of cars overtaking was crystal clear.

OIS isn't always a benefit particularly where small movements occur and can make things worse. In photography it's advisable to turn off OSI (with long lenses) when mounted on a tripod. Some lenses detect use of a tripod and turn off OIS automatically.

I will accept the info of the experts :)

So I had front and rear 512gw fitted in January this year (2019) rear one has already failed awaiting series 2 model to be shipped and fitted under Halfords warranty, if my front 512gw fails is that going to be as straightforward replaced? Nextbase support response appreciated.

From what I have seen from looking around, the series 2 doesn't have a rear camera but a module that plugs directly into the windscreen camera and looks backwards.

So my guess is that a replacement rear camera to 'fit' the 512 won't be available.

Looking at the Argos link there does appear to be a dome rear window camera for the series 2. Whether that camera will be backwards compatible with the series 1 dash cam who knows. As well as 2 rear view modules by the looks of it one for covering the interior of the car I presume and one with a zoom function presumably to act as rear camera without needing to run cabling from the front to the back of the car.

That's as much as I could glean from the images that were shown on the argos website.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Farmersden 512GW 10