Discontinuation of 1 series dashcams

Farmersden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Slightly concerned that a Nextbase Support Technician has told somebody in answer to some of the issues that the longer term solution was for Nextbase to produce a firmware fix, but that they were discontinuing the "1" series soon (312, 412, 512 etc), so they might not see the fix as a priority.

Hi @Farmersden

I have just been made aware of this, a member of our management team has listened to the call and spoken with the member of support that this is referring to.

I can completely understand your concerns, but rest assured we're not abandoning anybody or any products. If there are bugs then we can fix them, of course there will come a time when there won't be any issues to fix and then there is unlikely to be any further updates. This doesn't mean support will stop or the use of playback software and so on.

We are currently still manufacturing this range of Dash Cams - please don't be concerned.

Hi @Farmersden

I have just been made aware of this, a member of our management team has listened to the call and spoken with the member of support that this is referring to.

I can completely understand your concerns, but rest assured we're not abandoning anybody or any products. If there are bugs then we can fix them, of course there will come a time when there won't be any issues to fix and then there is unlikely to be any further updates. This doesn't mean support will stop or the use of playback software and so on.

We are currently still manufacturing this range of Dash Cams - please don't be concerned.
When are you going to fix the date bug in the G1W-S? The factory left out a battery and the cam loses time way to soon. Then the camera refuses to overwrite a file from a later date than the factory default.

When are you going to fix the date bug in the G1W-S? The factory left out a battery and the cam loses time way to soon. Then the camera refuses to overwrite a file from a later date than the factory default.

my guess would be never, it's not their product ;)

When are they to be discontinued? I've just bought a 512GW ☹️

When are they to be discontinued? I've just bought a 512GW ☹️

not until tomorrow

seriously though it will be replaced at some point with a newer model, that doesn't mean yours is going to stop working, it still has warranty and plenty of life in it yet I'm sure

Literally a week old so still have time to take it back

Wait and see what the newer model is like..

there is always a newer model of something coming, people that wait for the next great model never end up buying anything

@GuyRilla they're not discontinued, we're still manufacturing them.

One of my colleagues used the wrong terminology.

There's no date at present so not in the near future.

:(

There are some Nextbase cameras that are almost if not identical to the Canadian Dod range so I assume there is some collaboration.

A while ago there was a very nice Dod unit (RC400S) that was identical to the one in my lower link but was just the front single channel dashcam and was 1080@60fps or 1440@30fps. Built in CPL.

It wasn't on the Dod site for long and has now disappeared but the dual cam remains but the dual cam is limited to 1080@30fps.

https://dod-tech.ca/rc500s/

If Nextbase introduced the RC400S I'd be straight in.

Last edited:
That was the first set, the 402G and 512G - the casing is almost the same but the software inside has been changed by us :) nostalgic moment, they were our first range.

We're always working on new products of course.

What i'd actually like is a new model supporting WiFi 5 GHz AC mode for file transfers, with 4K resolution, and at about half the size / weight of the current model. Maybe with optical image stabilisation. And ideally with video compression turned down to reduce artefacts (or user configurable) to store decent quality video recordings at 60 Hz. And a user configurable parking mode sensitivity. Alternatively, I'd settle for a really knockout smartphone App with all those features, and a clever windscreen mount for it ;-)

Sincerely - I do hope NextBase make their next range of products properly knockout. The risk they run is that if they don't, then some app developer will soon have their breakfast and lunch, and NextBase will go the way of Snooper and their standalone speed camera detectors - replaced by smartphones, and a shadow of their former market leading position.... and on that point, why haven't NextBase created an app that does it all? like TomTom did with their sat nav systems?

That's something I'd buy / pay a subscription for.

My 2p...

My old 412 had very good image quality, certainly the best of all the cams I've had. What let it down was the mount vibration.

Reading around, I'm learning that 4k lenses are not really the kiddies for night time use and the compression required does present a problem to the final footage.

I'm looking for, hoping NB produce, a 380 clone with a 412 style quadHD lens and built in cpl filter.

Proper Job

You also need a bigger sensor for good night vision.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Farmersden 512GW 10