Discrete dual channel dash cam

needacam1989

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for a quality dual channel dash cam. Below are a list of features that I'm looking for in order of importance... I realize I won't find a cam with all of these. Price is a factor but comes secondary to the features I'm looking for.

1. Reliable and able to withstand 140+ degree ambient temps in parking mode
2. Parking mode that allocates memory separately i.e. ability to allocate say 50% of storage to driving and 50% to parking mode so once parking mode fills up that 50% it will just overwright the first file of that 50% opposed to filling up entire sd card and overwriting non parking mode files
3. Discrete waterproof external rear cam would be greatly prefered but I realize I probably won't find what I'm looking for with one
4. One Sd/microsd card for both the front and rear cam preferred (opposed to separate cards for each cam)
5. small form factor
6. 60fps 1080p recording and/or low framerate parking mode.
7. gps

Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum.

You can get to so high temperatures in a car that all cameras would throttle or do a thermal shutdown, so the very hottest days even in the northeast could potentially be a problem for any dashcam.
The cameras that do a constant recording but at a low bitrate or time lapse recording while parked will probably last longer.
Another option is to wait a few months for the dual remote cameras, this mean you can put the main unit of the system down low in the car and so out of direct sun, this i think should be even better for parking mode in hot climates and a car parked in the sun.
Most cameras now allocate some part of the memory card and when that ( RO folder ) is full even event files will be recycled too when that part of the memory have filled up. as far as i know this is some % of card size and not something you can change in the menus,,,,,, there are ample room for events unless you park your car on a demolition derby track over a race weekend.
A few have or will offer waterproof cameras for outside install.
The norm are now both cameras record to 1 memory card.
Most are now, only a few silly model / brands that seem to think people want a large screen,,,,,, which no one i know would want.
you can not get 50 FPS recording on both cameras in current dual camera systems, only on the front camera if you run it alone with no rear camera connected.
GPS are almost standard now.

you would want at least a 128 GB memory card, 200 - 256 GB would do fine too, street guardian test their models with the largest memory cards, so in their cameras you can go 400 - 512 GB with no problems as far as i know.

...street guardian test their models with the largest memory cards, so in their cameras you can go 400 - 512 GB with no problems as far as i know.
I have a 512GB card in my SGGCX2Pro+, working just fine.

It's a LOT of storage space. I put it in the camera on May 13 and it's just now getting close to overwriting for the first time.

Welcome to the forum.

You can get to so high temperatures in a car that all cameras would throttle or do a thermal shutdown, so the very hottest days even in the northeast could potentially be a problem for any dashcam.
The cameras that do a constant recording but at a low bitrate or time lapse recording while parked will probably last longer.
Another option is to wait a few months for the dual remote cameras, this mean you can put the main unit of the system down low in the car and so out of direct sun, this i think should be even better for parking mode in hot climates and a car parked in the sun.
Most cameras now allocate some part of the memory card and when that ( RO folder ) is full even event files will be recycled too when that part of the memory have filled up. as far as i know this is some % of card size and not something you can change in the menus,,,,,, there are ample room for events unless you park your car on a demolition derby track over a race weekend.
A few have or will offer waterproof cameras for outside install.
The norm are now both cameras record to 1 memory card.
Most are now, only a few silly model / brands that seem to think people want a large screen,,,,,, which no one i know would want.
you can not get 50 FPS recording on both cameras in current dual camera systems, only on the front camera if you run it alone with no rear camera connected.
GPS are almost standard now.

you would want at least a 128 GB memory card, 200 - 256 GB would do fine too, street guardian test their models with the largest memory cards, so in their cameras you can go 400 - 512 GB with no problems as far as i know.

Thanks. As far as memory allocation, I was more looking for a separate motion/driving folder rather than just Gforce activated events being kept separate (I think that is what you are referring to?).

Like a cam with a 3 wire power cord with Acc/constant/ground where Acc+constant power will be constant recording and then go to parking mode (either motion or constant) with it's own allocated memory when the car is turned off/it loses accessory power. What I don't like about my current street guardian cam is that motion pretty much fills up the SD card daily (motion pretty much runs constantly even when parked) so if I want to save an event from driving I have to do it the same day otherwise it'll just get overwritten. This is with 128gb on a single cam, I suppose a 512gb on a dual cam would get me two days but even then it's a pain in the ass to go through all the files and figure out when I was parked and when I was driving. Are there any street guardian (or other cams) cams like this?

The RO folder many use now ( Read Only ) that are solely for events triggered by a sensor ( G sensor or motion ) you do now want to use motion as that will fill your RO folder in no time as that approach are normally far too sensitive in any camera.
As i understand it the low bitrate parking mode recordings or time lapse ( no sound ) i think end up among the regular files, so that are one reason to not go too small on memory card size, cuz as i understand it thise fall in among regular recordings and so will get recycled when that particular recording are the oldest on the memory card.

Most now use a 3 wire hard wire kit for parking mode.

I get about 400 MB for 3 minutes of regular driving, in low bitrate parking mode the same i think will give me 15 minutes of footage, so substantially smaller files

What SG camera do you run now ? their newer beta firmwares give a few more options i am told ( not yet gotten around to sample SG cameras and hard wire kit,,,,, but will soon.

But as you have found out motion detect while parked, that just don't work, but its the same with 99.8% other cameras, and i am not aware which ones that actually do this mode just half way good.

I will tag the SG boss so he can tell you and me what options you have with your current SG kit, so over to you @jokiin when we know what piece of kit he have.

The RO folder many use now ( Read Only ) that are solely for events triggered by a sensor ( G sensor or motion ) you do now want to use motion as that will fill your RO folder in no time as that approach are normally far too sensitive in any camera.
As i understand it the low bitrate parking mode recordings or time lapse ( no sound ) i think end up among the regular files, so that are one reason to not go too small on memory card size, cuz as i understand it thise fall in among regular recordings and so will get recycled when that particular recording are the oldest on the memory card.

Most now use a 3 wire hard wire kit for parking mode.

I get about 400 MB for 3 minutes of regular driving, in low bitrate parking mode the same i think will give me 15 minutes of footage, so substantially smaller files

What SG camera do you run now ? their newer beta firmwares give a few more options i am told ( not yet gotten around to sample SG cameras and hard wire kit,,,,, but will soon.

But as you have found out motion detect while parked, that just don't work, but its the same with 99.8% other cameras, and i am not aware which ones that actually do this mode just half way good.

I will tag the SG boss so he can tell you and me what options you have with your current SG kit, so over to you @jokiin when we know what piece of kit he have.
Sgzc12rc bought probably a year and a half ago... firmware has never been updated.

Thanks

wauu where did you find that one, the ZC12 RC are one of SG first cameras, and while i am a airhead i am sure it do not support any of the newer modes of parking guard.
While not a bad camera, you will be amazed to compare that to the newer models, not least in low light footage your ZC12RC will be blown out of the water.
If you want to stick with SG they are quite good to make offers for current or returning users, so just for the chance of that i better highlight the SG man in the US, that be Jon in Carson city Nevada, so here is to you @Street Guardian USA

Back