Discrete two piece dashcam with covert Remote lens (for maximum stealth)

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
THIS is the idea of descrete dashcam system install I would like to see in my car.
Of course specs mentioned in that item listing are not up to any modern standards. I just wanted to point out the idea / solution what is preferred by me: - main unit hidden in glove box or in any other hidden place in the car + remote small / tiny camera which can be discretely mounted behind rearview mirror or at the back as rear camera, with no extra buttons, lcd-s etc.

T2ynDvXh8XXXXXXXXX_!!275521321.jpg

There are some challenges to doing remote cams, not impossible but there are a lot of hurdles to overcome

Something we'll get to at some stage

There are some challenges ..... a lot of hurdles to overcome

I would replay here with your previous signature I like a lot, if I remember correctly it was like:
... " nothing is impossible ! It's just take more time and money "
- was it like this ? ;)

There are some challenges to doing remote cams, not impossible but there are a lot of hurdles to overcome

Something we'll get to at some stage

Jokiin, I'm wondering if you might be willing to elaborate on some of the general challenges and hurdles in designing a remote cam that would meet your standards? Many of us "laymen" probably just think of a remote cam as a lens module/sensor on a cable with a capable DSP, etc. What else is involved that might create challenges for building a one or two channel remote dash cam/dvr?

Strange?
It was developed 2 years ago.
Maybe it need to overcome vibration for the main machine. I am considering to combine wifi to control main box type.
Maybe we can consider what function needed. 10m distance full hd data with 4 channel already done.
Also if anyone who can help android program, will be highly appreciated.

I would replay here with your previous signature I like a lot, if I remember correctly it was like:
... " nothing is impossible ! It's just take more time and money "
- was it like this ? ;)

Nothing's impossible, the impossible just takes longer and costs more

Nothing's impossible, the impossible just takes longer and costs more

Yes, that sounded just right. I have to remember correct phrase.

Jokiin, I'm wondering if you might be willing to elaborate on some of the general challenges and hurdles in designing a remote cam that would meet your standards? Many of us "laymen" probably just think of a remote cam as a lens module/sensor on a cable with a capable DSP, etc. What else is involved that might create challenges for building a one or two channel remote dash cam/dvr?

There's not so much technical limitations although there are a few, nothing that can't be overcome anyway

There are more practical issues to overcome, microphone and GPS placement, how to lock a file manually, how to mute the mic on the go, things like this we take for granted with other designs, system status when there's nothing to see etc

There's not so much technical limitations although there are a few, nothing that can't be overcome anyway

There are more practical issues to overcome, microphone and GPS placement, how to lock a file manually, how to mute the mic on the go, things like this we take for granted with other designs, system status when there's nothing to see etc

I have been thinking about those things for past 2 years, from the moment I bought iCaro B4, - I didnt like messing around with remote control.
My solution for all major operational funcitons is:
- to add Micr., LED light ( maybe 2-3 different leds ) and one button to the front recording standalone camera
- with that button you will be able to operate different functions: one touch switches on / off micr. Longer touch / hold - locks files. Rapid touch does something else and so on.
- or to run separate small operational module which can be positioned close to steering wheel, like Parrot has for his handsfree systems ( approx 1 x 5cm size ) with different buttons, LEDs etc.
For standalone system external GPS module is the best practical solution, same way as aftermarket multimedia DVD GPS systems using them now.

That would be sweet to have the lens and recorder so far apart. I have a mobius lens extension on order, but it taps out at about 8 inches which is not enough to store the unit in say the glove box.

OK, I see, your answer seems very logical,....of course. Thanks! Niko's proposed solutions are interesting as well.

Last edited:
That would be sweet to have the lens and recorder so far apart. I have a mobius lens extension on order, but it taps out at about 8 inches which is not enough to store the unit in say the glove box.

It is sad that manufacturers "afraid?" to take a step and build system what advanced dashcam users really need: - remote lens separated from main unit, thats it - very simple !, rest is just overcome design and technicality.
Price for person who thinks with open mind is not that important ( I think ). Peace of mind is more important than nearly perfect 300,400,500 ... usd remote lens standalone system of 1 or 2ch.
Glad you also thinking in the same direction !

OK, I see, your answer seem very logical,....of course. Thanks! Niko's proposed solutions are interesting as well.

I have tons of different ideas boiling in my head starting from design and finishing with functionality, - just need the right team: investor, partner -developer @jokiin ? ;), and manufacturer. Rest is history as they say :) ... - it's fun to dream here on forum, but there is a saying translated from Russian: "dreaming is dangerous, because some dreams can come true " :rolleyes:

I have tons of different ideas boiling in my head starting from design and finishing with functionality, - just need the right team: investor, partner -developer @jokiin ? ;), and manufacturer. Rest is history as they say :) ... - it's fun to dream here on forum, but there is a saying translated from Russian: "dreaming is dangerous, because some dreams can come true " :rolleyes:
well, if you fund me... if you look through my post I have some ideas brewing ;)

I have been thinking about those things for past 2 years, from the moment I bought iCaro B4, - I didnt like messing around with remote control.
My solution for all major operational funcitons is:
- to add Micr., LED light ( maybe 2-3 different leds ) and one button to the front recording standalone camera
- with that button you will be able to operate different functions: one touch switches on / off micr. Longer touch / hold - locks files. Rapid touch does something else and so on.
- or to run separate small operational module which can be positioned close to steering wheel, like Parrot has for his handsfree systems ( approx 1 x 5cm size ) with different buttons, LEDs etc.
For standalone system external GPS module is the best practical solution, same way as aftermarket multimedia DVD GPS systems using them now.

There's a few possible approaches, dealing with multiple functions and not having them interfere with digital video signals is a challenge, as is the number of wires needed and the method to transmit without loss over distance, much easier in an analogue SD video environment than it is when dealing with full HD let alone all the other functions

There's a few possible approaches, dealing with multiple functions and not having them interfere with digital video signals is a challenge, as is the number of wires needed and the method to transmit without loss over distance, much easier in an analogue SD video environment than it is when dealing with full HD let alone all the other functions

Agree, - nothing is as simple as it looks, but thats why we have you and other manufacturers here; @ " Nothing's impossible, the impossible just takes longer and costs more " ;) ... I am ready to wait !

Certainly doable and something is like to do, might take a while before I have the resources though

Certainly doable and something is like to do, might take a while before I have the resources though

So, the only "barrier" is - investment / money, right ?
OK, tomorrow I start playing Euro-Millions Lottery ;)
... just kidding. Never believed in "easy-money", - I don't like it.
As they say: "Easy come - easy go"

Well it wouldn't cost millions but it does need funding to go ahead

Unfortunately in Europe "they" dont play "Euro-thousands", only Euro-Million. Other words: All - or nothing ! :)
I approx. know how much needed for from A to Z successful dashcam project, so the only hope is to wait for the right investor, because dashcam market is actually still open if to take the right approach to produce right product.

Back