Distorted video signal output to headunit

Jason Lim

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Dash Cam
A118 & A118C
Hi Guys,

Anyone is having similar issue using a RCA cable output to the car headunit?
Tried shorter RCA cable but there is no improvement and the video signal is horrible.

20160909_170853.jpg

check PAL/NTSC setting it might look better using the opposite of whatever you're using now

also check the RCA cable is a decent shielded 75ohm cable to avoid interference

Thanks, Jokiin.
Tried changing the PAL/NTSC and Frequency setting but the video quality is still bad.
Maybe the AV out is not meant to connect to a car headunit?

Hooked up to a TV and the distortion were gone.
Probably too much interference in a car?

You may try to use noise supressor. It helped me with reversing camera when I had similar issues.

Thanks for your tips, niko
I'll try it out.

Had 1 ferrite core cord noise suppressor on the end of cable that goes to AV In of headunit and it doesn't help much either.
Am I the only one who has bad video signal from the dashcam?

Had 1 ferrite core cord noise suppressor on the end of cable that goes to AV In of headunit and it doesn't help much either.
Am I the only one who has bad video signal from the dashcam?

Does distortion comes with engine running or also while engine is off ( only ACC ON ) ?

The distortion is there even in acc on position.
Seriously that nobody hooked up their dashcam to a headunit?

The distortion is there even in acc on position.
Seriously that nobody hooked up their dashcam to a headunit?
i would guess that the number of folks who actually have a dashcam AND have a head unit (or other device) with video input AND want to connect the two... is very low. even in my wife's van, we had an overhead dvd player, but i never had the desire to connect the camera's video output to the DVD player's video in jack, even though it would have been very easy. we have since changed vehicles, and now my wife's car has a big screen in the middle for the factory nav and backup camera, but again, no desire to connect the dashcam... and not just because i'd have to hack into the factory wire harness to create a video input jack and switching circuit. the cam in that car (blacksys cf-100) doesn't even have a screen of its own, and i'm fine with that.

It will be nice to playback the files with a larger screen of the headunit instead of removing the SD card/dashcam.
Looks like it's time to move on to A119.

It will be nice to playback the files with a larger screen of the headunit instead of removing the SD card/dashcam.
Looks like it's time to move on to A119.
what about connecting a usb cable instead of an analog video cable? assuming your head unit can actually play them (which if it's running android, it should be fine - i recommend MX Player as that's what i use on my phone), you'd get better picture quality, and a MUCH better way to navigate the files. playing back on the camera is clumsy at best, even on the 119. there's no way to pause/ff/rew on the camera so if you miss something, you have to watch the entire clip again.

just thought of this - try powering your dashcam from a USB powerbank instead of the lighter socket. that could tell you if it's the head unit or the camera's power adapter.

Thanks for your suggestion, Gibson99
Yes, it's very clumsy and silly to navigate the files even it was hooked up to a headunit.
Too bad that my headunit doesn't support playback of 1080 files.

Guess that it's still a long way to find out the cause of distortion/interference from the live feed.

just thought of this - try powering your dashcam from a USB powerbank instead of the lighter socket. that could tell you if it's the head unit or the camera's power adapter.
Guess that it's still a long way to find out the cause of distortion/interference from the live feed.
I'd try @Gibson99's suggestion. Assuming you used a different power supply when you connected it to the TV and the problem only happens in the car (even with the engine not running), I'd say that interference is power supply-related (most likely the one in the car).
If it's still doing it in the car with a different power supply, maybe the HUD's video input isn't compatible with the type of video signal of the camera, but that's a somewhat long shot these days.

Last edited:
Thanks alot for the suggestion guys
Spot on Gibson99 & Module79L!
I found the culprit and it was actually the power source of the dashcam.
The current power source tap from the fuse box is giving me video distortion, but everything looks great when I hook it up to the lighter socket!
Could it be a bad hardwire kit? Or insufficient power from the fuse box?

Back