Distracted Driver Runs Off Road

Daffypuck

Reaction score
Country
United States
Despite being in an active pass in a semi, this driver was distracted and drove straight instead of turning with the road. Im sure it was not a fun ride for him. That was a pretty violent hit at the bottom of that ditch. He was OK though, just shaken up a bit.

O :oops: looks soft down there so that's probably why he dident try to get back where he belong.

In my area we used to have the same kind of division on our motorways, but it have now changed to a steel barrier and many places we now have a whopping 3 lanes in each direction,,,,, a little bit strange when the max have been 2 lanes for so many years.

Were you at your normal UPS speed? If so, that truck had to be doing 75.

I really miss the gold old days before there was such a thing like a distraction in the cabin. Never saw accidents like this 15 years ago.

Is the dash cam something you installed yourself, or something UPS is doing now. If it was the latter, that would be really cool.

(The driver usually can't see video from company installed cams unless he is in trouble and being disciplined, or 'trained', and sometimes positive reasons. One company I worked for had installed cameras in the truck I drove [eventually the reason I quit] and conatcted me promising a bonus and letter of commendation. When I refused to sign the release for the internal cam video showing me in the incident, for their use in 'safety training', amazingly, the letter of commendation and bonus vanished.)

I really miss the gold old days before there was such a thing like a distraction in the cabin. Never saw accidents like this 15 years ago.

Is the dash cam something you installed yourself, or something UPS is doing now. If it was the latter, that would be really cool.
Thats my own cam. Back about 6 o7 years ago before there was nothing more than the 3 or so manufacturers of cams I got one just for work. Now I have my work one and permanent ones in my POVs. Its that one added bit of protection against a "he said, she said" scenario, especially in a work vehicle.

Were you at your normal UPS speed? If so, that truck had to be doing 75.
I was coming down the ramp to merge and had to let off a bit till they passed me. I was doing 47ish when I straightened out. They were probably doing 68 and the outside one was probably a 70 or 72 governed truck. By the time I merged, I was doing around 52. UPS trucks, at least in my neck of the woods are governed at 68 (hourly trucks) and 72 (mileage trucks). Its not like package delivery where we went 100 miles an hour all day! :)

You can see here in this pic from the other direction that the road started to curve and he went straight.IMG_1210.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_1210.PNG
    IMG_1210.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
Dont sleep and drive !
I know from myself it is a sickening feeling when you start nodding off behind the wheel. so i was pretty stoked when i was fired from that night watchman / maintenance job.
Driving home at 9 in the morning after a 12 hour overnight watch, most days it was more luck than my driving skill that got me home safe.

Probably didn't fall asleep, but was distracted as daffypuck mentioned. If he had over-reacted he would have turned the truck over. Curious if the two trucks were yelling at each other on the CB? (I don't have one in the truck)

My guess is, you dont make an active pass on someone and doze off. Youre alert, even if sleepy, until you complete the pass and get back in the right lane. I think he was doing something that took his eyes off the road for a moment or two and once he hit the shoulder he realized he screwed up and committed to riding it out instead of trying to correct it. If you watch the truck in the right lane, they slowly drift into the left lane just a bit. I think they saw him go off and were watching their mirror as he went off to see if he was gonna save it, then looked back and corrected and came back into their lane then pulled over.

You steer where you look, subconsciously. He's screwed,but it could have been worse.

(The driver usually can't see video from company installed cams unless he is in trouble and being disciplined, or 'trained', and sometimes positive reasons. One company I worked for had installed cameras in the truck I drove [eventually the reason I quit] and conatcted me promising a bonus and letter of commendation. When I refused to sign the release for the internal cam video showing me in the incident, for their use in 'safety training', amazingly, the letter of commendation and bonus vanished.)

Is there some kind of lock on the cameras? If so, if there needs to be an investigation on an incident, I see this as a delay. Here, the police are relaying and requesting third party video of an accidents all the time and I am sure would love to get their hands of POV video whenever possible.

Thats my own cam. Back about 6 o7 years ago before there was nothing more than the 3 or so manufacturers of cams I got one just for work. Now I have my work one and permanent ones in my POVs. Its that one added bit of protection against a "he said, she said" scenario, especially in a work vehicle.

If I drove for a living, I would be like you and want a dash cam to protect my livelihood against he said / she said scenarios. I know of a case where a police officer got in trouble for having his own dash cam or body cam. I would hope big companies wouldn't have a problem with their truckers having their own cameras.

Is there some kind of lock on the cameras? If so, if there needs to be an investigation on an incident, I see this as a delay. Here, the police are relaying and requesting third party video of an accidents all the time and I am sure would love to get their hands of POV video whenever possible.

The camera system I had the displeasure of being subjected to for a few years seemed to have a hard drive of some sort mounted somewhere, as well as a cell phone modem. It would store files, not continuous files, but only files triggered by g-force or other stuff, including GPS speed data, and I think they could trigger it to save files remotely. (But they claimed they couldn't, but the unit could be updated remotely?) Any save files were uploaded around 0200. The files saved were forward facing, and internal with audio, 15 seconds or so in length, with 4 seconds or so 'buffered' before the event.

Here's an example of an 'event' the company that provides those cameras posted on youtube. Cement truck rear ended when braking for traffic stopping ahead.

The video from this hard braking situation would have been saved, uploaded at night, and 'reviewed' by desk jockeys at the camera company, who had never driven a truck. They would then decide whether the driver did something wrong, or could have done something different, and then forward it to the subscribing company. They almost always forwarded the files, even if it involved you hitting a pothole in the road. They could always find some BS 'coaching' situation to forward the files, like this one where the cement mixer did not hit anything, but was rear ended when he slowed to avoid hitting the car in front. 'Driver should have been looking further ahead' or whatver they said. Most companies who paid for these cameras would only pay attention to the legit stuff, the one I worked for was anal, and have a incompetent employee 'counsel' you on the phone, and issue internal safety punishments, eventually leading up to more internal training and harassment.

You steer where you look

Generally yes, but it is something you can improve on.
In the 90ties going home at 5 in the morning i had the motorway to myself, so i played with driving while looking in my R hand side mirror and steer by the lane indicator line i could see in the mirror, and this while doing 130 km/h.
BUT ! it is not something i can recommend other than suicidal stupid people to play with.
it is nerve wrecking at first and you can only do it for seconds before you look forward out the windscreen, but with practice and bravery / stupid you can drive like that for miles.

Yes, but you were making a conscious effort to steer that way. The 'go where you look' is subconcious. Like when you drift toward the vehicle next to you in traffic when staring at it, or on a motorcycle in a tight curve. (Or a cute lady on the sidewalk) :)

I am amazed more people don't rear end each other in the summer time, by my accounts there should be a spike in those kind of events and probably in certain places too :giggle:

I regularly see something on the sidewalk and think " well there is a traffic hazard for sure" :love:,,,, and a few other things i will not go into here.

Back