Divided federal appeals court rules you have the right to film the police

If you watch this video and ever trust police again you have not paid attention.

I haven't watched much of this, but what I have seen is remarkably like similar videos I've watched. They make repeated absurd claims along the lines of "If you do X then you WILL suffer Y." Put bluntly, this is untrue. You only need one example of someone doing X and not suffering Y to prove it untrue. Are we really expected to believe that EVERY person who has ignored their right to remain silent has been found guilty of a crime they did not commit?

There is of course some wisdom in there, but why are these people so incapable of phrasing things in a rational way? I'm not sure why anyone should listen to them when they ramble like conspiracy theorists.

That video comes from a Regent University school of law professor. He points to cases for proof.
He has another video where a police officer agrees with everything he says.

Would you rather keep quiet or risk being found guilty because of something completely innocent that you said?
Who cares if it happens every time or not. It only matters that it COULD happen very time.

@country_hick:
I hope you get 2 wins :D There have been movements to reduce the 'kegalese' language in some places, but it doesn't ever extend into the deeper legal proceedings or documents. The causes of the problem are many and far too complex to go into here but the end effect is that only those who can afford to pay for a good lawyer have any hope of seeing justice in the US :(
I'm glad there are people like you and Turner (of the OP's reference) who at least make the effort and take the risks of fighting the system. Without that we'd be living in a Police State with no freedom and no hope for anything better.

Kudos and Good Luck!
Phil

The ADA was passed in 1990. Judges almost made it disappear by ruling against what it was designed to do. In 2008 the ADA AA was passed telling judges how to rule on ADA suits by refuting several of their rulings in the new law and clarifying definitions and purposes.

I am the first man to use the ADA as a formidable weapon against the Court system. It took 26 years after the ADA was passed into law for someone to throw themselves on the sword of government injustice in the Court system going in without a lawyer. At trial I was incompetent (to put it mildly) because I had no idea what was happening or why.

The day prior to trial I introduced a 25 page affidavit to the court. That covered a boat load of statute, case law, legal definitions, and my complete defense. It was sworn testimony placed in front of the Court. My appeal brief had (14 font double spaced) 9 filled pages for the table of authorities. That is just the name of court cases, legal dictionaries, constitutional sections and so on. There were 25 more pages in the brief 3-5 pages each covering every issue of importance. The appendix (everything filed with the Court previously) was 75 pages using a 10-12 font single spaced. I even had 4 pages dedicated just to judicial errors.

I got another ticket Friday. Today I filed this slightly updated ADA motion with the Court. I do not play nicely with others.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m406quimob79zz0/Sanitized ADA motion.rtf?dl=0

I do not play nicely with others.

I try to but the end result is up to them. Best to return my nice attitude, you won't like the results if you don't. I think you're similar here ;) And there's nothing wrong with being like that :cool:

Phil

You can always get in a mess, even if you are a cop.

Over here a year or two back, some high ranking Chinese was here, and so some people protested that ( like 20 - 30 people )
And they was armed with the Tibetan flag as they think China dont belong there, and that was all they did, they did not block the motor cage or anything just stand there on the sidewalk waving those flags.
And then to my amazement Danish police started to get in the face of protesters and confiscating flags.

Now here protesting is a human right, and so is speaking your opinion, those things are some of the founding things our society is build on.

So it is very disturbing to me that the police thats there to uphold out laws dont even know the most basic laws, and it sort of make it hard for me to not think that some people in the higher echelons of Danish society have a other take on why the police is there and what they are to do.

My friend was in court as he witnessed a crime on his CCTV camera, and then acted upon that as a good neighbor.
Okay he did react violent but that was not the issue at all.
So my friend was called to court to give witness to what happened, and so he did.

But here is the kicker, the judge said to my friend, now that you are here i have to tell you filming public space with a cctv camera is illegal ( and thats true )
BUT ! said the judge, please dont stop doing so, cuz as it turn out in many cases illegal private cctv cameras is a great help to police investigating crime.

So what are you to do when a judge in court tell you to keep breaking the law ?

The only thing i can come off is a storm / attack on our parliament and force the dumb asses working there to get the laws they make strait, otherwise they are just nurturing anarchy, and make us the laughingstock of anyone with a little knowhow and brain.

The only way they'll get laws straight is if the public decide on them. And even then a minimum of 49% would be unhappy with each law.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

otherwise they are just nurturing anarchy, and make us the laughingstock of anyone with a little knowhow and brain.
As you can see, there are a lot of parallels here. Beginning with Cops who are empowered with enforcing the laws but who do not know the laws and who can do almost anything they want without fear of any serious repercussions. Why should they bother with knowing the laws, what benefit is that to them? Without benefit, or at least punishment for errors, there cannot be any reason to bother with that- just do whatever they want to and feign ignorance as a defense if questioned about it. It is only when there is a sufficient punishment for misdeeds that they will stop.

In these days of nearly instant communications, Cops can use their radio to find guidance. It is entirely possible for a Cop to call HQ and then have HQ call a Judge or Prosecutor and get a legal question answered in minutes. So it is currently possible for Cops to never exceed their authority and to never wrongfully arrest someone based on a lack of knowledge of the law without their needing any significant extra training to cause this to happen. All the pieces are already in place to do this; the only thing lacking is motivation which the Cops will not willingly provide by themselves since there is nothing for them to gain by doing this. We need to provide that motivation for them or their illegal actions will continue unabated, possibly even expanding in scope.

So we see the problem but where does anarchy tie in with this? When the people are not being satisfied that the Cops are consistently acting fairly, legally, honestly, and with respect towards them trey will begin to no longer make any effort support the Cops, and to even begin refusing to obey them as acts of defiance against the Cops illegal and wrongful activities. Taken farther the people will begin being actively against the Cops, and this begins the anarchy. But instead of addressing the cause of it all- needless illegal and wrongful practices of the Cops- what we get is an escalation of those wrongful activities which exacerbates the situation instead of mitigating it. As more and more Cops begin to get hurt or killed they cry out for even more power and are given that in increasing amounts as the situation escalates further, and they continue to abuse those powers newly given, knowing that the end of this path will be their having any powers they desire and a government who is backing them in that. As long as the Cops do not apply their excesses to the Government they know this support will continue and this ending will come eventually.

I don't believe that this is an intentional conspiracy by the Cops. It is my belief that the motivation comes from elsewhere and that those applying it know what the outcome will be. They know the Cops will support this because it benefits them directly, and they know that the Cops will become dependent on their support so that in the end they will have full control of the Cops and the people through the Cops actions. All it takes for this to succeed us for the people to do nothing to cause the wrongs to end and that is exactly what the people are doing.

Anarchy? It is indeed being encouraged but now you can see who is encouraging it and why, and who is actually gong to benefit from it. It needn't be this way but it will be this way because those who could have stopped it didn't- that's you and me, the innocent law-abiding folks who only desire peace, freedom, and a fair chance at prosperity.

All that it takes to become a slave is to not disobey those who would be your master.
Phil

The problem with police all comes down to judges. The problem with judges all comes down to judges are almost always former prosecutors. Prosecutors want to get promoted. To get promoted they need to rack up convictions. Lying, cheating, and manipulation help to get convictions so what do former prosecutors turned judges allow? ANYTHING that works. The way the USA is going by violating the rights of the people and strengthening government including making government immune for almost everything it does I expect to see armed rebellion in the streets in somewhere between 5 and 30 years. It might be possible to avoid that dark future but I do not see how.

Like but in a sad kind of way, i do hope my American friends get their country turned around,,,, TOO ( i have work to do here too )

Back