DIY 12v to 5v power supply

Rocketvapor

Reaction score
Country
United States
okr_zpskedpfm1f.jpg

There are many buck power supplies to drop 12v to 5v. Here's one I've used for several projects.
It's based on the Murata OKR-t series of DC to DC converter modules.
Available in 1.5A, 3A, 6A and 10A. These aren't your run of the mill Chinese Ebay models but industrial OEM quality modules. They can be bought from places like Digikey and Mouser (shipping is usually cheaper at Digikey).
Here's an example I put together for a 12v to 4v Vaping power supply.
attachment.php

The 3300 ohm resistor is a pull down for the On/Off pin to keep it on with power in.
The 330 ohm resistor sets the module for 4v out. A 270 ohm resistor would give 5volts.
Here's a couple of E-cigs I made that could easily be modified to power 5 volt devices.
One corded to a Cig lighter plug, the other with a common DC power jack.
attachment.php

The pin out is the same for the T3 and the T6
attachment.php

The data sheets can be found here:
http://www.murata-ps.com/datasheet?http://www.murata-ps.com/data/power/okr-t3-w12.pdf

Might not be the thing for some, but if you can do a little bit of soldering, and follow simple schematics the OKR modules might be something to stick in the back of your mind.
The 3 amp one from Digikey is $6.20 and First Class mail is usually $2.50 for small packages.

Just put together a 12V to 5V, 1.5 amp OKR for another little project.
OKR5V1500ma_zps0zwqqbof.jpg

Last edited:
For low current circuits i usually use an MP1584.

High efficiency with low ripple and switching noise

See, lots of options :)
The OKR is pretty small though.
Cut the pins off of the 1.5 amp model and build-in just about any small project.

Last edited:
Would using one of these step-down converters (specifically in my case the MP1584) for powering the mini 0805 cam be better protection than what is included in the cigarette lighter adapter that comes with the unit? I've heard of people saying stay away from the included adapter, and also warnings of cheap converters from ebay and the likes.

I'm going to be hardwiring into an ACC fuse with the fuse tap, and can add a step-down converter, or just wire in a female socket for the included cigarette lighter cable. Which way would you do it?

Last edited:
Go with a female socket.. If you change cameras and need a 12 volt source it is already there.

Back