[DIY] Dashcam installation by tapping power from the overhead console (2013 Kia Optima)

hc613

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I recently successfully installed my 0805 dashcam on my 2013 Optima by tapping power from the overhead console. It's a lot easier than taping from the fuse box, and has been working without problem.

Step 1: remove overhead console by unscrewing the 2 screws in the sunglasses holder, then pry the console down from the windshield side. (If your car is not 2013 Optima, this instruction will vary.)

Step 2: On my 2013 Optima with sunroof, one of the connectors has only 2 wires, black and red. Tap a car charger socket into this by stuffing paperclips into the back of the connector's red and black wire holes. (If your car is not 2013 Optima, you'd need a multi-meter to test which wire turn on when the ignition is on.) Tape up with electrical tapes and make sure there's no wiggle. A car charger socket can be had for less than $5 on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1GImNUb

Step 3: plug a reliable car charger into the socket, and feed the usb wire to the windshield through the edge of the headliner.

Step 4: tuck excess wires into the headliner, screw the overhead console back in its place

Step 5: mount dashcam on the windshield.

Step 6: plug in USB from the car charger you just installed to the dashcam, profit.

*Instead of a socket and a charger, you can also use a "Hardwire kit" from Amazon or eBay. However the quality of these kits vary and I've had bad experiences in the past (ripple, not enough amp).

20151013_164533_HDR.jpg 20151013_164639_HDR.jpg20151013_164505_HDR.jpg

Back