DIY: Mobius Internal helmet cam using lens extender

WorkInProcess

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I borrowed this idea from somebody else.

Requirements:
Lens extender ~$15
Lens cover ~$5

There is a detailed youtube video that shows how to install the lens extender. I cut a small hole in the breath guard to allow the wire to poke through. It also surrounds the lens snugly to keep it in place. However, I am using string temporarily to help keep the lens secure to the helmet, otherwise it may fall out and move around. The string is just for the prototype as I am still testing this out.

I then used gaffer's tape to to insulate the connection, and taped it with painter's type to the interior. I also have a lens cover to close the opening where the lens used to be.

20151119_215134-jpg.18957

It seems to work fine during office testing. However, when I take it outdoors, for real use, the camera seems to freeze on me. The orange light and red record light at the back will stay on. It records fine for a minute, then does that for the rest of my commute until I can reset it with a computer.

I am trying to recreate the error, but it only seems to do it when I want to commute and not when I am testing it. I figured it might be a loose lens connection, or maybe something shorting the wire and making the camera go into safe mode? Not really sure.

Attachments

• 20151119_215134.jpg
    20151119_215134.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 95
One thing to consider if you have the camera itself mounted inside the helmet is that having a lithium polymer battery charging right next to your face could potentially present a serious safety issue if you have it connected to an external power source.

One thing to consider if you have the camera itself mounted inside the helmet is that having a lithium polymer battery charging right next to your face could potentially present a serious safety issue if you have it connected to an external power source.

granted the odds are low but in case of an accident you wouldn't want the battery to be punctured either, that could be nasty

The mobius is externally mounted. I thought about adding an external power source, but the internal battery is big enough for my daily commute. I charge it when I get to work, and charge it when I get home. No need to mess around with cables. :) If the battery dies, I will probably just upgrade to the bigger internal battery.

20151119_215058-jpg.18962

The Shoei RF-1000 series are tight fitting. I can literally lick the interior wall of my helmet. I don't want the mobius inside, nor is there space for it inside.

Attachments

• 20151119_215058.jpg
    20151119_215058.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 85
This is a great solution but as Dashmellow and jokiin mentioned it's a bit of an akward feeling to have this battery arround my face.

Do you have a youtube video link or something to some of your footage of riding arround with the camera?

Back