DIY red LEDs optic cover lens for improved daylight visibility

mister_rf

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
YI /GT300W / C1 / DIMIKA / E720 / MOBIUS / DVR207 / 808 # 18
As in general, I like this small camera, but I was disappointed by the fact the red LEDs light is transmitted trough a diffuse surface and those LEDs are not useful in daylight.
IMO they have spent too much in the blue LEDs ring's light, and those LEDs are useless in my opinion, but hey, luckily you may power off those LEDs by the remote control application. :cool:
So I have decided to do some minor modifications.
My first idea was to change those red LEDs with more efficient ones. Later on I have discovered that’s not so simple to change the LEDs mounted on the flexible cable, and maybe a better solution is to replace the old LEDs light guide with new optic cover lens for improved daylight visibility.

leds old back cover .jpg
leds old top cover.jpg

In order to change the LEDs back side optic cover, we need to dismount the case. That’s not so difficult to do; you need a sharp tool and some patience.
The replacements lens was a quick ghetto solution by cutting the top of some 3 mm LEDs, followed by small adjustments for the right height and diameter, and polishing the cutting area for enhanced optical efficiency.

cutting leds lens.jpg

For the top cover I didn’t use any glue, I just pressed the new lens in place, but for the backside a tiny drop of glue was added inside the case to block the new lens.

LED.jpg

back.jpg

and the results are amazing :D

top light.jpg

Back light view.jpg

Nice, will the battery life be shorten significantly or there is not that much a difference?

There’s no electrical modification in the circuit at this time, so no additional power was required for. You may increase the battery life by turning off the front blue LEDs ring. :cool:

Yes, I did also a second modding version by changing the back side red LEDs. I have replaced the old LEDs by a more efficient one. Also, in this situation I kept the LEDs current so no additional power was required for. Same power is drawn for the battery, but more light obtained from the new LEDs.

Back