DIY second battery for dash cam parking mode.

Bushman123

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok here is my schematic below. Idea is to add a second smaller motorcycle battery in my car under the seat. That battery will charge whenever the car is running. It will supply power to the dash cams in parking mode and will shut off when it reaches 11.6v per the wire harness I can buy. THat will prevent damaging the battery.

What do you think?

How large of a motorcycle battery do I need to power my dual channel camera for 24hrs+?

$80 for a split charger relay, $80 for battery probably, $10 wire harness. $170 seems a lot better and more staminia then what is on the market right now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vybnlc138ta28ua/powr.jpg?dl=0

It is often easier to fit a larger main battery and use a low voltage cutoff.

Many vehicles have space for larger batteries for use with versions with larger engines, or diesel engines that require more starting power.

Using the main battery will mean it will normally stay fairly full, while using a little secondary battery will mean it will often empty, which even with a low voltage cut off is not good for its lifespan if it happens often (unless you use a lithium motorcycle battery).

Ok, I will check if I have room for a larger main battery and report back. You are simplifying my workload already Nigel. I was under the impression I had a pretty good size battery given it is a jeep with a lot of electrical load demand such as air suspension (even when the engine is off).

Very room battery bay but I think I would need to modify the lower mounting bracket, which I dont think I would do well at. Maybe I can get a new battery that has higher capacity or added a deep cycle instead to handle the drain better?

video of battery bay: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rujenoomj4kobbw/Video Jul 10, 14 35 51.mov?dl=0

What do you think of these low voltage cut off boards? I could set it with my multimeter to a lower voltage to increase capacity but yet save my battery for starting vs the preset 11.7v ones https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07B49T4DQ
I don't need 24/7 camera coverage. I need coverage while parked at shopping malls etc. and it would be nice if the camera did not need to start up each time I drive. It takes 10 secs to turn on and start recording and I am half way out of the parking spot or parking lot (high risk area) before it starts recording.

When you start the car and the battery voltage dips, will low voltage cut off devices cut the power to the dash cams? Causing them to have to reboot again?

Voltage dips can cause havoc with dashcams, most often see in diesel cars preheating.

This is also why most if not all dashcams have a selectable boot delay of something like 5 -10 - 15 seconds.

Your approach with 2 batteries and the hardware to isolate one of them, is also what i would do if i had a serious need for parking guard usage.

I think the battery in my Jeep is similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07777FM33
That's quite a nice battery, AGM batteries can normally handle deep discharge much better than standard batteries, with a low voltage cutoff at around 12.2 volts it should easily meet your requirements for shopping malls.

Yes it may well restart the camera when starting the engine, the A129 seems to restart fairly easily and then does wait a few seconds for power to stabilise before getting going again.

Thank you. I bought one of these voltage cut offs here. Highest disconnect voltage it does is 12.0 volts. Is that too low? Should I get a custom adjustable and build my own here?

I will try the main battery first and see how long I can power the cameras and if they will restart each time I start the car. If I need to, I will wire in an extra aux battery. But I like your idea or starting simple first!

I will report back so as to help others

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0147DYUN8

Thank you. I bought one of these voltage cut offs here. Highest disconnect voltage it does is 12.0 volts. Is that too low? Should I get a custom adjustable and build my own here?

I will try the main battery first and see how long I can power the cameras and if they will restart each time I start the car. If I need to, I will wire in an extra aux battery. But I like your idea or starting simple first!

I will report back so as to help others

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0147DYUN8
It's often recommended to use 12.2 which is 50% full, however the camera uses some power which causes the voltage to drop a bit so 50% is likely to actually be around 12.1.

For an AGM battery 12.0 is going to be fine.

Highest disconnect voltage it does is 12.0 volts. Is that too low? Should I get a custom adjustable and build my own here?

That still only goes up to 12.1v, which is much better for battery protection than the low voltage cutoffs used on dashcam hardwire kits I have found. Discharging a car battery below 12v is terrible for battery longevity. I am looking for 12.2+ myself and the best option I have found is to DIY with this. Although I would prefer one with dipswitches instead of a display. I am still considering the one you linked to as well.

My plan is to then add this 12v to 5v converter which is high quality. Instead of adding a second battery, I am going to purchase the largest size AGM I can fit, which is the Interstate MTZ-48. It gets great reviews.

I have space under my passenger seat for a motorcycle battery as well, but I'm not sure that is necessary just for two dashcams and an Android carpc with SSD.

Hi guys. It has been two weeks since I installed the low voltage cut off and dash cam. I dead batteries or major issues. It has been recording 24/7 and not reaching the cut off.

I do have one weird issue. Usually 10mins down the road after starting and driving the dual channel camera will reboot itself and then continue recording? Any ideas? Did not do this before the low volt cut off. The camera is stating in through the engine start. It usually just presents it’self far down the road out of no where?

Hi guys. It has been two weeks since I installed the low voltage cut off and dash cam. I dead batteries or major issues. It has been recording 24/7 and not reaching the cut off.

I do have one weird issue. Usually 10mins down the road after starting and driving the dual channel camera will reboot itself and then continue recording? Any ideas? Did not do this before the low volt cut off. The camera is stating in through the engine start. It usually just presents it’self far down the road out of no where?
Only thing I can think of is that 10 minutes down the road will be about the time your alternator drops the voltage from quick charge to trickle charge, maybe the low voltage cut off gets reset by the voltage change? Seems a bit unlikely but there has to be a reason...

Ok, so I have been using this setup for a few months now. Lately, I find that the A129 Duo is not recording and unresponsive. One red LED is lit but the camera is frozen. I did a bench test in the house for 24hrs and it never freezes plugged into the wall with a USB adapter. I can wake it up by unplugging the cable in the car, wait a minute then plug it back in.

1. Do you think the low voltage cut off device is freezing the camera? https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0147DYUN8
2. Do you think my aftermarket USB power adapter is freezing the camera? How many amps does the A129Duo require? https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.freshd...rs=Host&response-content-type=application/pdf

Please help....

Someone checked the amperage usage of a Viofo "A" series cam and it was the same as most, around 1/2A. However it had been well documented that PS's which work with any other cam may not do well with these cams, apparently due to power output issues. Viofo cables are 22ga, when the smaller ones are adequate for any other cam, and using a 24ga cable with these cams will likely be a problem. My guess is that first, your PS or cabling isn't fully up to the job, and second that there is a voltage anomaly in your Jeep's charging system which is dropping just enough to cause the cam to re-boot. A better PS and cable will probably solve this.

Phil

Ok here is my schematic below. Idea is to add a second smaller motorcycle battery in my car under the seat. That battery will charge whenever the car is running. It will supply power to the dash cams in parking mode and will shut off when it reaches 11.6v per the wire harness I can buy. THat will prevent damaging the battery.

What do you think?

How large of a motorcycle battery do I need to power my dual channel camera for 24hrs+?

$80 for a split charger relay, $80 for battery probably, $10 wire harness. $170 seems a lot better and more staminia then what is on the market right now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vybnlc138ta28ua/powr.jpg?dl=0

My Setup.jpg

Hi,

Did something similar.

I'm a motorcycle guy, and had a crash. I ended up recycling my parts to make this thing.

I have 2 VIOFO A119 Pro cameras. One for Front and back while I'm parked.

The battery is lithium iron phosphate 12V 6amp/h

I did this a few days ago, as it's winter in Canada, and I manage to get some free time to create this.

Here's are my notes

#1 I have a Honda Civic 2018, Cigarette port turns off when car is not running.
#2 Battery connected to 12V cigarette port.
#3 Fusebox that supports trigger wire for power.
#4 Trigger wire from Honda to Fusebox.
#5 Fusebox connects to Power Magic Pro
#6 2X Magic Pro connects to my dash cameras.

I have it set to 12.5V cut off and 12 Hours to record. So far it's working great.

More time is needed for testing.

Feel free to provide feedback or tips.

I'll do my best to help.

View attachment 43632

Hi,

Did something similar.

I'm a motorcycle guy, and had a crash. I ended up recycling my parts to make this thing.

I have 2 VIOFO A119 Pro cameras. One for Front and back while I'm parked.

The battery is lithium iron phosphate 12V 6amp/h

I did this a few days ago, as it's winter in Canada, and I manage to get some free time to create this.

Here's are my notes

#1 I have a Honda Civic 2018, Cigarette port turns off when car is not running.
#2 Battery connected to 12V cigarette port.
#3 Fusebox that supports trigger wire for power.
#4 Trigger wire from Honda to Fusebox.
#5 Fusebox connects to Power Magic Pro
#6 2X Magic Pro connects to my dash cameras.

I have it set to 12.5V cut off and 12 Hours to record. So far it's working great.

More time is needed for testing.

Feel free to provide feedback or tips.

I'll do my best to help.
I have a big problem with that...

The website for the battery shown in your diagram clearly says, in bold:
Please note

You MUST only charge our lithium batteries with a lithium specific battery charger, (such as the Optimate battery chargers offered on this website) the use of any other type of battery charger is likely to damage the battery and invalidate the guarantee.

But in your diagram it appears to be being charged by an accessory socket plug which I suspect does not have a lifepo4 battery charger inside, and even if it does, you don't show any temperature sensor to check the temperature of the battery and thus in the cold of a Canadian winter this is going to be dangerous...

I have a big problem with that...

The website for the battery shown in your diagram clearly says, in bold:

But in your diagram it appears to be being charged by an accessory socket plug which I suspect does not have a lifepo4 battery charger inside, and even if it does, you don't show any temperature sensor to check the temperature of the battery and thus in the cold of a Canadian winter this is going to be dangerous...

Thank you for the feedback, I also have 12V lead motorcycle batteries sitting on the shelf. Would it be safer if I switched it to that?

Back