DIY Sentry Mode

comadose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone tried making something like Tesla Sentry Mode?

I've been looking for a suitable camera. It needs to be three channel, have parking mode and the remote lenses need to be small enough to mount by the side windows.

I was thinking of putting them by the rear seats maybe, so they can look both forward to the side and see the wing mirrors to capture stuff happening further back and lower down.

You won't find a suitable three channel camera that does "Tesla Sentry Mode" style capture and you won't likely be able to build your own single unit DIY three channel camera either.

On the other hand many of us use separate side facing and rear facing cameras along with a primary front facing camera to achieve "Sentry Mode".

Take a look through the thread "Is there such thing as a side view dashcam?" for good examples and discussion about installing and using side facing cams.

Personally, I use four cameras in my vehicle for full 360º coverage all around and use portable power banks when I leave the vehicle parked for "Sentry Mode". You can see an example of the results
HERE.

Thanks Dashmellow. Looking at that thread, maybe I'm over-thinking it. A basic wide-angle camera facing the side seems to give really decent coverage.

Power isn't an issue in my car, it tops up the 12V battery from the traction battery when needed.

You won't find a suitable three channel camera that does "Tesla Sentry Mode" style capture and you won't likely be able to build your own single unit DIY three channel camera either.

On the other hand many of us use separate side facing and rear facing cameras along with a primary front facing camera to achieve "Sentry Mode".

Take a look through the thread "Is there such thing as a side view dashcam?" for good examples and discussion about installing and using side facing cams.

Personally, I use four cameras in my vehicle for full 360º coverage all around and use portable power banks when I leave the vehicle parked for "Sentry Mode". You can see an example of the results
HERE.

Are there any "card backup / duplicators" ? My point is, if someone takes all 4 cameras, then what? Are they any XD card inserts with a wire than can be locked behind the glove box?

Are there any "card backup / duplicators" ? My point is, if someone takes all 4 cameras, then what? Are they any XD card inserts with a wire than can be locked behind the glove box?

Whether you have a single dash cam or four, they could get stolen. Six years on this forum and I can't recall anyone reporting a stolen dash cam but it could certainly happen.

I'm not aware of any card backup systems or duplicators that could work with dash cams.

There are some microSD card extension cables available but not long enough to reach a glove box. Not sure this would be a good solution anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01D9J8KQE
extension.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W DIY Projects 7
petepete DIY Projects 2
Back