diy usb charging for f302a, help needed please!

a_dragon_jai

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, first post on this resourceful forum, I have a F302a dash cam with firmware 1206140. I have been using this dash cam for a few months, it comes with an original cigarette charger. However i would like to power the unit via USB since i need the cigarette lighter port to charge my phone and TomTom. So i went head to purchase a 5 port usb car charger from anker, a very reputable brand. I have tested all the port is working properly, successfully provide 1.8 amp to charge my samsung note 2 mobile phone.

The problem is that i would like to run power the F302A from a usb port, so i snipped off one end of the Charging cable (the 12v cigarete lighter port side) and replace with a very decent usb power cable rated 24awg by anker (tested to charge my samsung note 2 phone at 1.8amp), but it will not run the device properly, it will boot the device but then switch off within 3 seconds or so. I have tried 2 different cables and a samsung original cable from my samsung note 2, still the same result. I know the F302A requires less than 1 amp to operate because the spec of the original charger is output dc6v. 750mA.

Please can someone tell me what i am doing wrong? i am desperately needing to run the cam via usb power, otherwise i will not be able to charge my phone, power my tomtom and use the dash cam at the same time.

USB normally only provides 5 volts (unless the device requests more), not the dc6volts you say your camera uses...

Sounds like you want to hardwire your camera with a 6volt hardwire kit...

hi thanks for the reply, so is there no way i can run via usb, and hardwire is the only option? what sort of kit shall i look into? thanks. a link from ebay or amazon would be lovely/!

Well, you could open up your existing converter and solder some wires on to turn it into a hardwire kit,

or you could get one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301445947486
which should be easy enough to connect up with either solder or crimp connectors.

okay, so the black and white wire will connect upto the usb cable and the yellow and red wire to the fusebox? or to the cigerette lighter power source? sorry for the noob question

okay, so the black and white wire will connect upto the usb cable and the yellow and red wire to the fusebox? or to the cigerette lighter power source? sorry for the noob question
You can't use colours as anything more than a reminder, you need to check the instructions, most people use yellow for +5 but this one is clearly labelled as yellow is 0v for the output:

66_zpsc967f607.jpg

I suggest an add-a-fuse and a loose 12V socket with ground connected to common or chassis screw. Repair the provided cable, connect to loose socket with a few wraps of electric tape and hide the wires behind finishes. Your preference for connection to a fuse always on or on with ignition. This frees the dash socket and powers and protects the dashcam as intended by the manufacturer.

Back