DIY Waterproof Rear Camera BlackVue DR650 - 750

Good lord, you're still at it? OK, maybe you need the catharsis so vomit all over the place if you wish. I'm done here.

Sincere apologies to @edr-auto.fr for what has happened to your DIY thread here. I really admire the craftsmanship you've displayed on this project and I hope you will continue to post about it despite what has happened here. FWIW, I like the CPL addition.

Don't forget to watch the film..

it really is a 10/10 must see and your character shines through !

ps. The op just tackled the problem different to me and we encountered the same problems and came up with differing solutions although I don't think he is finished yet as the result is not long term tested. Given time and experimentation he might yet go down the path of external lens interior camera body after size and temperature consideration and drop the Cpl to gain good night vision - but it does look neat on a van .

Last edited:
And back to topic ...

I have made in the past and still do different DIY projects. To be honest not all of my projects I like after all, but in many cases "failed project" gave me some new ideas / inspirations for better solutions.

Mistake 2.jpg

I think CPL is a good thing for rear cameras, i find that reflections of the sky in the windscreen in the car behind me often hide what go on in that car.
And i dont expect much from a rear mounted camera, if it can do its thing in daytime and mederate light i am okay with it.
And a okay camera with a CPL filter should be able to do that.

I like this DIY setup, not quite my ballgame with the outside aspect but i still like it and it look good.

I think CPL is a good thing for rear cameras, i find that reflections of the sky in the windscreen in the car behind me often hide what go on in that car.
And i dont expect much from a rear mounted camera, if it can do its thing in daytime and mederate light i am okay with it.
And a okay camera with a CPL filter should be able to do that.

I like this DIY setup, not quite my ballgame with the outside aspect but i still like it and it look good.

I get pretty good results from my rear facing Mobius so my expectations are fairly high for a rear facing camera. I think you make a very good point about a CPL letting you see what is going on behind the windshield of cars that are following you. I hadn't really thought of that before.

You've probably seen these screen grabs I've posted before in another thread but I think these are pretty good examples of what can be expected from rear cams, at a minimum. I've never had a serious problem with reflections since the camera is mounted very close to vertical glass but you've both given me something to think about when it comes to using a CPL for the rear, whether the camera is inside or outside the vehicle.

Mobius "B" lens.
mobius-rear.jpg

rear2.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah your truck bed is not the problem i once thought it would be for a rear cam on a truck.

I have never tested CPL on any of my rear cameras, but i have a DIY CPL filter for my X cam and i think it will be installed.
Normally i dont have reflection problems on my rear camera as i like you Dashmellow have a vertical window with the camera right up against the glass, or truth be told i have reflections but there is of headlights on oncomming cars as they are about to drive by me.

It is easy to see in this proof of concept looking at the wite car the CPL allso do wonders for reflections of sky in its windscreen.

Last edited:
Yeah your truck bed is not the problem i once thought it would be for a rear cam on a truck.

I like that I can keep an eye on my cargo, especially when parked.

It is easy to see in this proof of concept looking at the wite car the CPL allso do wonders for reflections of sky in its windscreen.

Definitely makes a worthwhile difference with being able to see through the windscreen of that white car. It's just like looking into the water with polarized fishing sunglasses on. :)

Another low cost solution DIY waterproof without open rear Camera

You need
In a retractable sheath
Of two plastic plugs
glasses 3D plastic filter for tightness
a Glue repairs without solvent
black marker

Last edited:
how do the 3d glasses thing work? do you use both lenses together or just one of them? I have a broken pair of polarized glasses i was thinking about using one of the lenses.

I use a single glass.
This helps protect the lens but also improve the image with the polarization of the glass

I did this little mod to my DR650 1ch and it turned out very nice! I used a lid from a bottle and cut the top off and used an exact o knife to cut out the threads then crazy glued the 3d glasses lens on then colored the lid black. I can rotate it or take it off quite easily.

Last edited:
does the gps work in your tube? Or are you only doing this on the rear camera?

The underwater housings for dashcam are sometimes too bulky and unsightly.

I use this waterproof case motorcycle which is used mainly to display thumbnails (insurance, technical inspection etc. ..).

This allows to integrate it with the back of a car or truck to have better picture quality

First mounting tests

What you did is great! Any chance you can share the details of this DIY project? Instructions? 3D models to print.
Thanks in advance!

New version all waterproof version with a polarizing filter for lens

163570P11305632.jpg
Hi! Newby here! I really like your waterproof solution. Great idea to add a polarizing filter as well. This looks like exactly what I need for the back of my work truck on the cap. Would you mind directing me to the parts you used? Thanks in advance for your time.

Back