DJI Osmo Pocket

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Just fell over this little gimbal cutie.

Look like a good companion for the active person wanting to share moments.
https://www.dji.com/osmo-pocket

For what you get i think the price are not bad at all, if only it was able to shoot 1080/240

It is very good for that price $349, the 4K camera was built-in gimbal, is it the future of action camera market?

It is very good for that price $349, the 4K camera was built-in gimbal, is it the future of action camera market?
not sure if it's the future but for anything where the camera will be hand held this would be an ideal solution, would prefer this instead of a GoPro

For such a price, the camera should shoot better.
The quality is comparable with cameras for 70...120$...
Screenshots from the originals of the video, key frames:
DJI Osmo Pocket - RAW Footage (1).jpgDJI Osmo Pocket - RAW Footage (2).jpgDJI Osmo Pocket - RAW Footage (3).jpgDJI Osmo Pocket - RAW Footage (4).jpgDJI Osmo Pocket - RAW Footage (5).jpgDJI Osmo Pocket - RAW Footage (6).jpgDJI Osmo Pocket - RAW Footage (7).jpgDJI Osmo Pocket - RAW Footage (8).jpg
The form factor of this camera limits its use.
It is suitable for video bloggers and home shooting.
The door to the world of action cameras for this camera is closed...

Last edited:
I don't think it take much "action" to break the gimbal, but otherwise for the user that just need to even out a few bumps i think it will be fine.
We often use our little action cameras on a selfie pole so we don't have to bend over filming our little cars ( my friend passed out Saturday after having been down low, the other guys said he shut off like a light )
He estimate it was a blood sugar problem as he is a type 2 diabetic, but he dident have the usual warning signs for that.
The camera ability to track would mean framing could be better instead of guessing where the camera point ( cant use phone as wireless viewfinder as the other hand are often filled with other stuff like controller for car and so on )
I am wondering the FW issues they had before retail launch, when after all it if pretty much just the camera off one of their drones, image IQ are also not the same as the drone if you use the 2 side by side.

It is not an action camera, you would not put this on your mountain bike, or mount it on you surfboard.

It is a camera for use when walking, action camera image stabilisation is very poor for walking, this will be much better, so it is a good video camera for filming the family having fun.

I think it is a camera to replace the camcorder, Sony Handycam etc., there will be a good market for it.

I think it is primarily marketed as a Vlogger camera, and aside for the current AF issued then it seem well suited, the MIC are on the side with the screen, and appear to be fairly decent.
you can film hardcore action with it, but you or the camera cant be part of it as such.
I will have to put it on the wish list, but probably not be able to get around to that before there is a v2 of it.

my wife bought it for me as an early Christmas present. I've been through a first generation zhiyun smartphone gimbal, a first generation DJI Osmo mobile and the first generation DJI Osmo (with built in 4K camera).

i think it's a fantastic little gadget. it's never going to match the video from any of my Sony cameras but it's so portable that i know i'll use it a lot. it was always a chore to setup any of the smartphone gimbals that i previously had and it has 4K60 recording whereas my DJI Osmo records in 4K30. i'm sure the second generation or a PRO version of the pocket will come out with a 1" Sony sensor like they have on the Mavic 2 PRO.

i'm very happy with it so far. it's currently my most used camera for video. and just for a test, i did mount it to my electric scooter and my road bike but it didn't go well since neither have any suspension. i will be fabricating a suspension mount for the osmo pocket at some point but i haven't had time to do it yet. it does just fine mounted to my helmet, though.

I like the track feature ( face or what ever ) this make it perfect for us filming the little RC cars with the camera on a pole ( so we don't have to bend or kneel our old bodies )
Actually last time my friend tried that he passed out. luckely the place they was driving the forrest floor are well padded in mos and not that many things to head butt or tumble down if you fall.
So put tracking on, lower the camera down to a level you like and it should take care of the rest.
I must admit the pocket have given me high hopes for the V2 of the larger osmo, hoping for 4K/60 and preferably 1080/240 or better.
I do like it when there are a little bounce in walking / running ASO video, when a camera just "fly" 100% stabilized it feel unnatural to me.

It seem like the original osmo are no longer in production, hope this mean they are gearing up for something new / better.
The pocket are fine and all, but i would be willing to part with a little more money if i could get something even better,,,,,,, that is if something unforeseen don't pop up first,,, which it probably do with my luck at the moment.
Something like the phantom pro camera and its 1" sensor would be fine maybe a updated sensor & SOC, the zenmuse X7 are too expensive to even dream about for me.

It seem like the original osmo are no longer in production, hope this mean they are gearing up for something new / better.

The pocket are fine and all, but i would be willing to part with a little more money if i could get something even better,,,,,,, that is if something unforeseen don't pop up first,,, which it probably do with my luck at the moment.

Something like the phantom pro camera and its 1" sensor would be fine maybe a updated sensor & SOC, the zenmuse X7 are too expensive to even dream about for me.

Yup. There will always be something better coming but I purchase what I can use and reasonably afford presently. Being able to deploy the Pocket in ~10 seconds from pulling it out (of my pocket) is a major draw for me. With the Osmo mobile (or any other gimbal specifically for smartphones), it took me at least a couple minutes before any recording can take place. And with the Osmo X3 (built in 4K camera), I can record pretty much as quickly as the Pocket but without a monitor. Yes, the screen on the Pocket is absolutely tiny but I find it much better than just pointing blindly with the X3. And making changes to settings with it is pretty intuitive, too.

I am now hoping for a bigger pocket osmo as i think the original osmo are a done deal, the small size of the pocket are fine and the little larger it would get by putting in what i would like i can deal with.

First of all i would like a replaceable battery, a 18650 would be fine.
And as we talked about something better than a little phone camera sensor, but not a big 1" sensor.
And a standard screw for tripod on the bottom of the grip.

I agree the little LCD screen are a must have.
O and access to advanced features without a phone, that POS i would like to keep hidden in my pocket.

I am torn between fixed focus and auto focus, a faster focus than the pocket have would not hurt PDAF maybe.

Someone have taken the pocket to the Danish capitol.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
abarth Action Camera Discussion 0
el Producente Action Camera Discussion 16
Back