DNG (RAW) In-camera saving time

balonchiks

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Hey everyone,

As we all know since one of the latest firmware updates YI finally added RAW (DNG) support to our cameras. Also most of you likely noticed that the time it takes to save a DNG file to a SD Card is approximately 6-8 seconds, which makes the whole RAW/DNG stuff useless for lots of scenarios...

As far as I can tell, it's not the actual capture of raw data from the sensor that takes the time, but the conversion of the raw data to a DNG format. The reason why i think this is the case is that if using autoexec.ash file with a single line in it:

t app test enable_rawcap 1

you will get proper RAW support, and the RAW files will be saved to the root folder of your SD Card. It took less than a second to save a 20Mb RAW file to a sandisk extreme v30 sd card. However, there is one problem with this approach - every time you restart the camera (turn off/turn on) the files will be overwritten, which again, makes the function useless.

My question is, does anyone have at least any idea on how to disallow YI to conver the raw file to DNG (saving us 6-8 seconds everytime)? Or is there a way to modify the autoexec.ash file so that the RAW files would not get overwritten?

Thank you.

Hey everyone,

As we all know since one of the latest firmware updates YI finally added RAW (DNG) support to our cameras. Also most of you likely noticed that the time it takes to save a DNG file to a SD Card is approximately 6-8 seconds, which makes the whole RAW/DNG stuff useless for lots of scenarios...

As far as I can tell, it's not the actual capture of raw data from the sensor that takes the time, but the conversion of the raw data to a DNG format. The reason why i think this is the case is that if using autoexec.ash file with a single line in it:

t app test enable_rawcap 1

you will get proper RAW support, and the RAW files will be saved to the root folder of your SD Card. It took less than a second to save a 20Mb RAW file to a sandisk extreme v30 sd card. However, there is one problem with this approach - every time you restart the camera (turn off/turn on) the files will be overwritten, which again, makes the function useless.

My question is, does anyone have at least any idea on how to disallow YI to conver the raw file to DNG (saving us 6-8 seconds everytime)? Or is there a way to modify the autoexec.ash file so that the RAW files would not get overwritten?

Thank you.

Good find!!!

Tagging @irungentoo in hopes he can figure this out. :)

Back