Do any dashcams use FLV or WMV formats

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
Working on some scripts and instructions on using file redirection. Curious, but are FLV or WMV ever used as the format for dashcams?

Working on some scripts and instructions on using file redirection. Curious, but are FLV or WMV ever used as the format for dashcams?
closest thing i've seen is avi, but that's just a container.

flash video is very cpu-intensive when it's decent quality, and wmv is just crap. even plain old mpeg2 is better than wmv most times.

I thought techmoan came across a format or codec which didn't work on his regular video program.

Anyway, the only formats that are Dash cams record as are MOV, MP4 and AVI?

I thought techmoan came across a format or codec which didn't work on his regular video program.

Those are file extensions not video formats, you can rename .mp4 files as .mov files and they still work, they both contain H264 video when produced by dashcams.

There are some "dashcams" that can produce H265 video, not sure what file extensions get used for that.
Hopefully we will have some .webm files soon containing AV1 video format.

you'll also find TS (transport stream) and MJPEG being used on some models

I am working with online video. Wmv is outdated since like 10 years back and FLV is also no longer supported in many browser. Plus that some firewalls have started to block all flash content because of security issues.

The new Blackvue 4k camera that will be out during 2018 has H265 codec. (also h264 for those that do not want to use 4k)

I am becoming familiar with all of this. Being forced too. I like using ffmpeg to do as much of my work with videos as it can be done in a matter of seconds versus minutes if using kdenlive.

Big problem with using the concatenation option I like to use is that all the files list have to have the same codec. If one of the files from A119e is has its speed altered with ffmpeg, it effects "TAG:compatible_brands"

Files on my A119 go from a "isomavc1mp42" to a "isomiso2mp41" if use "-filter:v "setpts=0.25*PTS" -an " (which speeds a file to 4 times its speed). My A119 and A118c2 have different "compatible brands", codec_tag_string and codec_tags.

Anyway, I found a FAST way to re-encode files from my four different cameras, some with speed altering, so they are consistent. I can now get my files to concatenate with ffmpeg.

Last edited:
Using ffprobe

FFprobe provides very detailed information on your files. It can produce a 72 line report on files produced with my A119.

Code:
ffprobe -i    FileName
ffprobe -v error -show_format -show_streams FileName
ffprobe -v error -show_format -show_streams FileName > report.txt
ffprobe -v error -select_streams v:0 -show_entries stream=avg_frame_rate -of default=noprint_wrappers=1:nokey=1 FileName
The first line, brief information, same kind of information you get with VLC, Ctrl I
2nd line detialed information
3rd line redirected to a text file
4th line get, average frame rate.

Unfortionately you cat specifically get information with codecs on the 4th line. You can't do ffprobe -v error -select_streams v:0 -show_entries stream=codec -of default=noprint_wrappers=1:nokey=1 FileName. However this information is possible with "-i", and "-v error -show_format -show_streams "

Here is a Linux script I wrote to figure out what was going on with my video clips
Code:
#getVidFileInfo.sh
input_fileName=
echo $input_fileName

ffprobe -v error -show_format -show_streams $input_fileName |grep format_name
 ffprobe -v error -show_format -show_streams $input_fileName |grep 'TAG:compatible_brands'
 ffprobe -v error -show_format -show_streams $input_fileName |grep 'codec_name='
 ffprobe -v error -show_format -show_streams $input_fileName |grep 'codec_tag_string'
 ffprobe -v error -show_format -show_streams $input_fileName |grep 'codec_tag='
 ffprobe -v error -show_format -show_streams $input_fileName |grep 'pix_fmt='
 ffprobe -v error -select_streams v:0 -show_entries stream=avg_frame_rate -of default=noprint_wrappers=1:nokey=0  $dir/$f |head -1
just enter the file name in "input_fileName=". Example
Code:
input_fileName=2017_1226_213529_016.MOV

Back