Do battery packs pass on parking mode information?

mentadent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
VIOFO A139, VIOFO A139 Pro, VIOFO A119 Mini 2, VIOFO A229...
Do battery packs like the BI-750 pass on the parking mode 'information' that the engine is off, to the camera like a VIOFO A139?

The hardwire kit connected to the battery pack will do the needful.

Do battery packs like the BI-750 pass on the parking mode 'information' that the engine is off, to the camera like a VIOFO A139?
It is designed specifically to power on the dashcam to record ALL events when the vehicle is parked.

Hmm lame, I'd want it in parking mode. Thanks anyway.

Hmm lame, I'd want it in parking mode. Thanks anyway.
It is in parking mode! That is the reason for having a battery pack.

Let us go back to your original question

What do you mean by "information"?

I suppose the ACC input being off or on, so the dashcam can know to switch to parking event mode.

I suppose the ACC input being off or on, so the dashcam can know to switch to parking event mode.

Did you install the dashcam yourself? Does it go into parking mode when you switch the ignition off?

So you understand what goes on, if I were you, I would be watching the installation video. The video tells you all you want to know.

Edit. The BI-750 is discontinued and there is no replacement yet!

See...

Last edited:
Yes I installed it myself. OK I'll have someone watch it, thanks.

Based on the user manual for the BI-750 and the BBMC review video (at the 10:00 mark) the "OUT" port of the BI-750 provides the ACC power signal on the left most connector of the "OUT" port.

If the wiring connector that plugs into the BI-750 has all three wires (ACC, B+, Ground), then the dash camera should be supplied the ACC power to let the camera (or any 12-volt to 5-volt USB power converter) know when the vehicle's ignition is on or off.

bi750_ports.jpg

I've had a few dash cam users ask questions on my channel about parking mode (why it wasn't working). The most common reason it wasn't working was the user was using a 12-volt power port adapter with the dash camera battery pack output port instead of a 3-wire hardwiring harness adapter. Most (if not all) of the dash camera battery packs come with an output 12-volt power port adapter to allow the battery pack to provide power to dash camera that use a 12-volt power port plug for their power source. The problem being that those adapters are only capable of providing B+/Ground signals to the camera. Cameras that implement motion based parking modes (like many of the BlackVue series of cameras), that will be sufficient to get motion based parking mode to work. Cameras that rely on the ability of getting the vehicle's ACC power signal to know when the vehicle's ignition is on or off will not have the required ACC signal and the camera won't power on or return to normal parking mode when the vehicle's ignition is on.

I have not tested a VIOFO A139 camera, but I've used/reviewed many other VIOFO cameras and their parking mode requires the use of a 3-wire hardwiring adapter. If you're using the appropriate VIOFO 3-wire hardwiring power adapter and its connected to with all three wires to the BI-750's "OUT" and the camera firmware settings are setup to enable parking mode, then yes it should work.

The A 139 needs the HK3-C hardwire kit for parking mode. Older ones won't have the necessary USB "C" connector.

Phil

Thank you so much, understood.

Is it possible to connect the ACC cable of the 3-wire hardwire kit to the car to receive the power signal regarding the engine on/off state, and connect the power & ground cables to a battery pack?

Viofo dashcams are always taking the power from the BAT wire when using hardwire kits. The ACC is only telling to the camera to work in Parking Mode or not. So you can take the ACC from fuse box.

Unfortunately, actual power packs are not taking ACC BAT and GND from the car, but only ACC and GND. This is limiting the possibilities of these power banks and complicating the hardwiring. So instead to go with 3 wires to car fuse box and 3 wires (5V or 12V) to the dashcam, appear complicated cables and limited parking mode duration based just on how much power can offer the power bank. If the power bank can offer only 15 hours in Parking Mode, your car will be protected only 15 hours.

So I will not pay $350 to any power bank which is offering just about 20 hours of parking mode for my car. I prefer to use just my car battery. Why?
On specs, the power banks are rated at about 1500 charges which means about 3-4 years.
A Varta battery with start-stop for my car, costs about $120 in my country. So I can buy 3 batteries instead of just one power bank. If a car battery is expected to be used about 2 years, this means 6 years for dashcam parking mode with car battery, with much more than just 15 hours each time with a power bank..

When a power bank will offer also the possibility to use also the car battery and not to be forced to use only the power bank, maybe I will buy one. The idea is very simple: if I will park the car everyday after coming home from work, I will use only the power bank. But if I will park the car in weekend and not starting it for 2-3 days, the parking mode will stop because the power bank will be empty. So if my car will be damaged in the second or third day this will mean that I spend $350 for nothing. And no, I will not buy 2-3 extensions and spend about $600-$1000 for a power bank.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
I agree, it seems better to put the money to maybe replacing your car battery 1 or 2 years earlier than to a power bank.

Back