Do blackVue DR500GW HD support 64gb microsdxc cards?

geniv

Reaction score
Country
United States
just wondering. if so what brand and is there any special setting to use when using such a large card.

I know the manual say it supports up to 32gb

btw: I'm on firmware 1.0009

There are a good few threads on here.
in essence, seek out a program called guiformat.exe
format your 64gb card using fat32 and 32kb allocations and it should work.

The CPU AND the Linux OS in the camera has to be able to access 64gb of memory. Not all processors or OS's can. An example would be a old(reliable) Windows 95 machine. You might stuff 16 BG of physical memory on the motherboard, but Win95 could only access 4gb tops. But replace Win95 with SCO Unix, on the same machine and yes SCO can use all 16gb.
It is the same with Disk Space, or Card Space as we use in the cameras.
32kb allocation would usually be a waste as the letter "A" could use 32k. The camera writes large files so no disk space should be wasted.
I'm wondering what happens when the 64gb card starts fragmenting on a system meant to use 32gb max.
It think it will all end in tears. And naturally the 64gb card will hose up right when you need the video footage.
Wha Wha Debbie Downer.

Lolz.. I am using Sandisk Class 10 64GB for like 1 year. Recently, the card stop working, it cant read nor write. Luckily I am on lifetime warranty. 1 to 1 exchange.

Why does anyone need larger than 32Gb cards anyway.

If you have an occurance to have to look at an incidence surely you would do it when you get home.

that can be over 6 hours after the incident before the card will overwrite.

I don't use my car a lot and have up to 2 months of driving on a 32gb card so cant see the sense in tying to make it do something its not designed to and then growling when it all turns to the runny yellow stuff

Everyone to their own I guess but lots have regretted using them

I couldn't agree more. :D 64gb in a camera designed for 32gb will end in a wailing and gnashing of teeth at some point. I would get a GoPro or a mount for my iPhone if I wanted to film the scenery and save it. Just sayin'

that can be over 6 hours after the incident before the card will overwrite.
THIS is why.

IF an incident happens on the way to work, it will have been overwritten before the car can get home for the footage to be retrieved. - the fact you don't use your car much is completely irrelevant!!

Defbear, I don't think that the camera has been designed for 32gb exclusively - it's just that they hadn't written in support for 64gb at the time.

THIS is why.

IF an incident happens on the way to work, it will have been overwritten before the car can get home for the footage to be retrieved. - the fact you don't use your car much is completely irrelevant!!

You must live a long way from work then as I did a 1000km return trip of over 5 hours each way and still had all but the first 2 hours on the card when I got home.

If I had an accident in the first 2 hours it would of course recorded it and I would have removed the card or the camera would have stopped at the time

The fact that I don't use my car often means little EXCEPT that I still have the same number of hours on the card as if I had used it every day. Same as you just takes longer was all I was meaning.

Also if you use "type" for recording the EVENT section is not overwritten as quickly as normal recording. Even if parking was enabled all day, if set correctly would still not fill a 32Gb card

A 32 Gb card can hold up to 9 1/2 hours of recording so don't see how it would be gone in one day.

Surely if it was important enough you would look at the card before you got home anyway.

Still maintain a 32Gb card is big enough but apparently its not for some.

Last edited:
If I had an accident in the first 2 hours it would of course recorded it and I would have removed the card or the camera would have stopped at the time
I do not expect my wife to be able to do this.
And an hous commute, followed by 8+hours of "parking" recording, and an hours journey home could very easily lose the start of the day - hence why there is a real need to be able to capture a realistic days worth of recording.
Of course, not everyone is the same, and if 32 suits you, that's fine, but I'd like to be able to review the mornings footage at the end of a very busy day.

As for the events 'not' being overwritten, I certainly don't find them locked, if I were to look at my card now, I'm sure the 'earliest' record would be maybe 3 days ago instead of the month ago since the last record (and therefore event).

I do not expect my wife to be able to do this.
And an hous commute, followed by 8+hours of "parking" recording, and an hours journey home could very easily lose the start of the day - hence why there is a real need to be able to capture a realistic days worth of recording.
Of course, not everyone is the same, and if 32 suits you, that's fine, but I'd like to be able to review the mornings footage at the end of a very busy day.

As for the events 'not' being overwritten, I certainly don't find them locked, if I were to look at my card now, I'm sure the 'earliest' record would be maybe 3 days ago instead of the month ago since the last record (and therefore event).

Surely as you say if you had an EVENT you needed to look at you wouldn't leave it for a month.

Also if your parking mode is set correctly and nothing happens the camera wont record as it needs movement or a bump to make it do so.

If you turn motion detection right down it uses hardly any space on the card at all.

I parked for 3 hours in a busy car park and the camera only recorded about 5 mins of video.

Earlier I had the motion detection too high and yes it did record everyone walking past within 50 metres which is absolutely useless.
I always walk around the car when I come back to it and if no marks I don't worry about reviewing footage. Have more to worry about than that.

Just a matter of setting it up correctly really.

Whatever grabs you I guess.

I didn't say I would leave it for a month.
I said there wouldn't be any recordings from a month let alone 3 days ago, thus stating that events aren't "kept".

As for only recording on an impact... what about the scenario where you need to record movement of someone coming towards the car before impact/event etc.

You set it up how you want, but I want the most from the camera and if that includes 5 minutes of footage before 'something/anything' happens, the I'd rather it recorded than not.

Back